BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

07 550i rear fog lights

8K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  luckydog 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can find the rear fog light switch for my 07 550i? A website any place? I believe the car is equip with the fog lights and just needs the switch to activate them. Any help would be greatful.

thanks
Eric

#11 ·
That link is for E39's. I have never seen anything referring to rear fog lights for an E60.

#14 · (Edited)
Rear fogs can be enable via coding, there will be no switch, they will go on when brake is depress. I have it on mine and here PA is helpful cause the reverse lights are not enough.

The rear fogs in the E60 is in the inner part of the light (closest part to trunk)

There is a coding meet in willow grove PA this Friday, inbox me if interested.

#18 ·
Rear fogs can be enable via coding, there will be no switch, they will go on when brake is depress.
What's the point of that? If they only go on when the brake is depressed, how would one tell the difference between those and the regular brake lights?

#22 ·
I was behind an Audi the other day on my way into work that had the rear fog lights. I can see them being useful for times of dense fog, but during a clear morning (still dark), it was annoying me since they were so bright. Needless to say I did not stay behind the Audi for long :)

#23 ·
^I've seen numerous Benz's, Audis, Jaguars, Rovers, and Volvos with that annoying bright light behind them. Many of them don't even know they have it on, or how annoying it is to drivers behind in non-foggy conditions. :tsk:

Here's the mod with brake pedal activation with lightbars:

Here's the mod with brake pedal activation and no lightbars just circles (lightbars on because headlights are on):

These mods are just moving the brake lights from one place to another.

To have rear fogs (inner circle) independent of the brakes with euro switch it would need to be activated via coding on US spec E60's.
On the US spec E90's it's just a matter of replacing the switch with the euro one.

See here:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/94808-enabling-rear-fog.html

See here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344561&highlight=

#24 ·
I'd like to weigh in on this, living in Germany --

From what the Lechhausen BMW Autohaus has told me, to get an American e60 to work correctly with a rear Fog, you would need a whole new rear drivers side trail light housing AND the correct switch AND an hour of programming. This normally only happens when someone permanently transfers an American BMW to Germany, where it will spend its remaining days there. If it is done temporarily they can do some voodoo computer magic so the rear drivers side brake light gets a full +12V when the fog light button for the front is pushed. Essentially you lose the ability to control the fog lights independently like you can with the DDM market BMWs.

#25 · (Edited)
I did this to my '04 with a wire, a switch, and about 15 minutes. If I remember correctly, you find 33 on the LCM, and jump from that to the switch, then back to 34. The lcm has the rear fog jumper, and the switch powers it. I don't have adaptive brake lights, but this mod will work with them. The lights are wired the same, they just need the switch. The fogs will override the adaptive braking lights. Originally I had the jump from 33-34 so that the front fogs where on and so where the back. I have more control over it with the switch. I just put it under the dash down by the foot rest. It is not something that I want to spend $175+ on the correct switch from a left hand drive country.

Edit
http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-yourself-14/rear-foglight-activation-119029/
Jay8s

#27 · (Edited)
I dont Thinkyou will ever see rear fog lights in America, Its illegal. Its strictly for Euro/spec cars along with headlight washers ,I understand.
Rear fogs come on many US DOT approved cars, Audi, Volvo, and Saab come to mind. Headlight washers are standard on many US made cars including Caddy, Buick, as well as our own 5 series, 3 series, 1 series, 7 series, X3, and X5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.