BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1995 E36 M3 GT Twin Turbo

81K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  Titansilber98M3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, this is the follow-up from the introducton thread :D

Its one of the 350 Euro GT cars, mine is number 111.
Engine is the S50B30 ITB Single vanos, with S50B32 upgraded intake manifold and lubrication system.

Here is part nr 1 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530785

By this stage the suspention was sorted, the ceramic brakes and various other stuff.. but I wanted more power..

Early 2008 I started with the install of the Twin Turbo system on stock internals. As I said the system was not a perfect design, but it was designed to run at 8psi, i ran it at 11psi. The exhaust manifolds were terrible, and made a strange engine sound, but they did the job for the time beeing.

I was using 440cc injectors and I flew in a expert tuner to tune the original BOSCH DME. The car drove reliable but soon I started to see pressure in the coolant so I upgraded to a MLS 0.140 plus ARP's.

0-200 run on this setup
www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bBtdtWo24

In the lates rebuild I had installed a Gizzmo electronic boostcontroler... that made me a bit greedy so I started pushing up the boost. Going up to 22psi. The AFR's looked ok, and so did the EGT, but something went wrong. The coolant started to pressurise in summer of 2010 so the only option was to rebuild the engine again. This time around I decided to do all the work myself. Keep in mind that I have no mechanical training or experience. I work in Private Banking..
When the engine came apart it was quite obvious that the headgasket was blown... quite badly actually for an MLS. I along with some of my friends started speculating what had gone wrong. Most likely it was due to detonation, which resulted in me beeing to agressive on the boost and the car probably running out fo fuel at the top end since the injectors were only 440cc. Still I was running almost 4.5Bar of fuel pressure.

HG badness...

This time around I decided to go with a STOCK HeadGasket from BMW and I also upgraded to ARP2000 bolts.

Head off and pistons cleaned :D

It was a strugle to get the head on since I was doing the job alone, I bought an engine crane and that helped.

Head on.

I also put some thermal insulation on the engine bay.

I also thermal wrapped the downpipes.

Since I had no previous experience the timing of the cams and valve adjustments were a pain in the neck. But I managed.

Almost done.. again

The RC750 injectors went in along with the Moristech Piggyback (installed it myself) and the Knock link Knock detector.

The car started up ! I was pretty happy. Drove it for 3 days and then no boost, and a terrible sound coming from the turbo area. I inspected the engine, found a busted hose from the airbox to the ICV and also I had made a small mistake when installing the Airbox. I had actually managed to clamp the oil feed line to one of the turbos which resulted in oil starvation to it and it was gone....

http://www.youtube.com/user/farturinn#p/u/0/H612rlMcn0c

Pretty depressing, since its not that easy to access a bottom mount twin turbo system. Still, I bought two new GT2252's and re-designed the oil feed system. Intstalled and I had power again.

I re-designed the oil-feed lines and installed two new Garrett's

The car ran great, power was plenty at 14psi (minimum PSI)

I also installed a new water pump, fan-clutch, oil catch can, Denso Iridium plugs, painted the RC's white, and am currently installing a 2.93 Differential which will get the LSD unit from the S2.65.

Other mods I have done/am doing include the seats which I changed to Recaro Pole Position with some custom stiching and painted the BBS RC wheels white.

Seats:

Sticker:

White RC's

Engine bay, looking OEM as I want it to look. No fancy stuff showing.

Its been a labour of love and some hate, frustration and enjoyment but it has cost me alot of money. At this stage I was happy with the car. I have something a bit special, its fast and reliable and I have rebuilt the engine (top end) myself so that gives me more pleasure when I drive it. But while beeing tuned in the UK the engine blew (on or after the dyno session) and now I need to rebuild the engine.

As I said if you have the time, plese go on my Facebook link http://www.facebook.com/pages/BMW-E36-M3-GT-Twin-Turbo-aka-HULK/120153618061202
and hit the like button. You will be doing me a big favor.

Photo Albums
http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/v/medlimir/fart/Rebuild2/
http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/v/medlimir/fart/overhaul/
http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/v/medlimir/fart/GTnew/
http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/v/medlimir/fart/GT_2/
http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/v/medlimir/fart/GT+new/
http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/v/medlimir/fart/GT/

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh my goodness, you are my HERO!

#4 ·
I needs new panties :)

#8 ·
A small update. A replacement engine block has been bought and also a replacement cylinder head.

We decided to buy a combination of S50B32 engine block and head.

The B32 head has bigger exhaust valves and slimmer valve stems than the B30
The B32 block has a standard bore of 86.4mm compared to the B30's 86mm

The result will be a hybrid of a B30 and B32 Euro motors.

S50B32 cylinder head with the B30GT cams and single vanos from the B30
S50B32 engine blcok with forged 86.5mm B30 pistons, forged JAWS B30 rods and B30 crankshaft creating 3.0L displacement

So a 3.0L S50B32 single vanos.. :D

#12 ·
Engine build has started!

Comparison of the 2008 Forged CP 8.5:1 pistons and the 2011 version of the same producst

Oil squirters marked from 1-6

Crankshaft is in

Rings gaped and pistons ready for install, just waiting for some new rod bearings

#16 ·
So the Dyno session is done and I am pretty happy with the results. There were no expectations on massive top end numbers but rather that we had power almost anywhere in the rev-range.

Low boost setup is around 0.75Bar through the revs.
Max HP is 442 and the car is basically at 440hp at 6000rpm
Max Torque is 431ftlbs (580nm) but at below 4000rpm.

Dyno sheet:

High boost setting is climbing to 1.2Bar at max torque, then dropping to about 1.0Bar at the high rpm's. Reason for this is the buildup of backpressure and the turbos run out of breath. Also, the torque had to be limited to below 500ftlbs because the clutch started slipping, even with a clutch that is supposed to be rated 700nm.

Max HP is 488.1hp (or 490) at 6300rpm (rev limiter set at 7200rpm)
Max Torque is limited to 489.4ftlbs but delivered at c.a. 3.700rpm!

At 3000rpm the car is making more power now that it did at the redline when it came out of the factory :D

Dyno sheet:

#18 ·
yummy!! :thumbup:

and if i read correctly, this latest incarnation is a twin turbo single vanos motor :yikes:

woo hoo!! :roundel:

btw, what did you do with the old 'log style' manifolds...:eeps::angel:

df
The Log style manifolds are somewhere in Sweden.

The car was a twin turbo Single vanos beofre :D but this time around I have full adjustability of the VANOS through the VEMS ECU.

#19 ·
Here is what I would like to know. How can I get those exhaust and intake manifolds. That would make my current project so much easier?

If I have to get them shipped from Germany I dont care just dont even know where to start looking.

Thanks

#23 ·
How to spend Christmas and the new year :D

Got my car back on the 16th of December from it´s 11 month stay in the UK. Unfortunatly upon arrival it was not compleate or at least good enough by my standards, so I deceded to pull the engine out. There were two gaskets missing from the rear turbo which could not be accessed with the engine in.
Also the Crankcase went was not routed the right way and had blown out the valvecover gasket and spilled oil everywhere.

Since the engine came out I decided to paint the engine bay. I started off by fixing some of the damage, sanding down and so on, but did not want to use filler and I don***8217;t know how to weld. After the first layer of piant (with a professional gun) I saw that the glossy effect would not really bring out the best of the damages on some of the panels, so I shot 2 coats of flat clear coat.
However, I did not like the flat finish on the struts so I went back to glossy for the struts, which ended of being a semi glossy finish. I kinda like the result, specially after the install of the motor.

Let the fun begin.. December 17th.. My first ever ***8220;engine out***8221; operation. Remember that I am not a mechanic:D Extensive use of Ziplock bags and painters tape to mark everything..

Engine comes out on December 18th. Got some help from a local friend! My 9year old daughter on the camera :D

Me:

Ready for some treatment...

Since I had access.. why not paint!

#24 ·

This is where the valvecover gasket had blown out of its place due to crankcase pressure.

The reason why the engine came out, missing gasket on the downpipe, also missing a gasket on the exhaust hausing....

Looking forward to the install

Biggest Xmas packet in my house! December 22nd.
Primed:

Painted:

The gun.

3 coats of paint.. looks good but the pictures don´t really catch the imperfections on the fenders.. Custom stickers also in place :D

Flat finish.. too flat in my opinion..

Finished article, semi glossy struts, with Flat/matte finish on the rest. I raelly like it.

#25 ·
Motor back in place on the 26th

Face back on the car, waiting for a new front windshield.

VEMS in place and the MAP sensor hose going through the lid, so I can now close it properly

Catch can fastined, and the vent now routed into the air intake pipe, before the front turbo and after the KN cone.

I also used the opertunity since painting to cut a bit from the inside fender to be able to fit 3***8221; intercooler piping.

Also installed a Z3 shifter which is a great addition! Amazing feel.

Flushed the brake system and put a new batch of ATE super blue racing fluid, also change the oil to the Castrol M-approved 10W-60

I also had a broken front windshield so I had that replaced on the 29th.

My assistants in the garage.

Supersprint exhaust installed, this is a new upgrade.

#26 ·
Just before the new year the engine went back in, clean, with a new valvecover, modifited crankcase wentilation, the two missing gaskets installed in the rear turbo and some other small things.
The past days I have been chasing away the last of the oil leaks, on on the oil drain flange on the front turbo and a second one on the front of the engine where the cylinder head meets the camshatf tray.

Some pictures:
The oil leak on the front of the engine

Old faithfull.. silicone gasket

It was missing a hexagon bolt here, which might have caused the leak

And this bolt was also not tightened.

Faulti gasket, also the flange was not flush so I grinded it down using a 180 paper, followed by a 500, and installed a new gasket, I hope it has solved that leak.

Ready (again) taking my 3year old son for a ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.