BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Auto issue

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MMMGP 
#1 ·
I have an automatic 98 M3 Vert. Transmission in this car has economy manual and sport modes. The car will only launch in manual mode and then once momentum is gained switching to economy and sport shifts beautifully. Has anyone experienced this issue and if so what measures did you take. Although I know the fluid is dirty I hesitate to change it because some believe that it can worsen problems. Any input is appreciated.

#4 ·
Not this specific condition, but I've flushed a few transmissions in my day and in every case the smoothness of shifting improved.

You have to start somewhere and you stated the fluid is dirty. The flush with parts should run you under $200 and a Saturday, plus a couple of light beers.

Also, have you checked fluid level? Maybe the transmission is simply low on fluid? The fact that you need to engage the gear manually and build pressure seems to point to a fluid flow problem. Either the fluid is too thick (cruddy from age) or there is not enough of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.