BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Another oil leaker.

771 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  shamulater 
#1 ·
99 M3...leak started about 5 days ago (had been leak free since new). Dripping down from the back of the motor onto the exhaust. Figured it was time for the valve cover gasket. Replaced along with other related gaskets and leak continued. Removed valve cover and went heavy with the high temp sealant (assumed I may have been too light on the first attempt). No indication of oil leak on removal and there's currently still no indication of a leak from the cover. Oil drip is still present. From the best that I can observe, it's coming from very close to where the head and block meet on the exhaust side of the motor. The drip was making it's way along the O2 sensors wire clip at the rear of the block. As you can probably guess, getting a clear view to this section of the motor is next to impossible...even with extended small mirror and flash light, the actual origins of the drip are a mystery. Consistant drip only when engine is running....small drip every 4 or 5 seconds. Head gasket is a possiblity though there's absolutely no other bad head gasket tell-tales present. No signs of coolant. Oil is uncontaminated. I'm at my wits in trying to source this problem and any clues would be appreciated. Car has 67,000 miles and has never over heated nor been ignored for maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.