BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

3 Series v. 5 Series

4K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  SuperTerp 
#1 ·
To be honest, I didn't really do much research. However, the 3 and 5 series look like the same exact car except the 5 looks a little bigger. The interior looks exactly the same to me and the exterior looks VERY similar. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
They have virtually received the same kind of reviews as one another, whether you might personally interpret that as a good thing or not.

#9 ·
I'm not sure if I agree with this. The 5 is more of a luxury car, and I think this is reflected in the reviews. For example Car and Driver doesn't like it that much, and it hasn't won any comparison tests with them. They seem to like the F30 3 series pretty well, and the new 328i won a comparison they did recently (as well as every other comparison I've seen it in).

#5 ·
Which is more important to you; having a fun sporty drive, or driving a luxury highway cruiser? The 3er is the former, the 5er is the latter.

#12 ·
We have a new BJ clone, only this one pimps the 5 Series! :thumbup:

#13 ·
I have driven the 2011 535 extensively because my best friend has one. I don't share some of the opinions in here that its a boat etc. I think especially as a hwy cruiser is a great car. My friend's does have the adaptive suspension, and M package, so the handling is very very good for such a heavy car. But when compared to the F30 its not as much of a driver's car. The F30 is simply more fun, the driver feels more involved driving the car and the most important part for me at least, the F30 feels so much lighter. Better way to describe the F10 535i is more E350 like but faster.

as some said its what you want out of your car.

#14 ·
I love my 328. I'm just thinking about at the end of my lease and kids, etc., needing a bigger car... From my understanding, the 5 allows for more options and is bigger. With that said, would the 7 be the same thing (meaning bigger than the 5 and allows more options)? I would probably stick with the 3 if I didn't need a little more room.

#19 ·
I'd agree they look similar on the outside, but if you think the interior looks similar, you need to get your vision checked. They are VERY, VERY different -- pop up nav vs integrated nav, boat-like feel in the 5, no manual handbrake in the 5, completely different seats, ... The F10 has a decidedly upscale feel to it when compared to the F30.

The F30 interior is almost identical to the F20 interior (1-series, but not yet available in the US).

#22 ·
I second what tturedraider said. Go sit in both and drive both before making a decision. From my standpoint, the F10 wins hands down with respect to interior look and feel. For driving, I think the F10 is a much better highway cruiser, but the F30 is has a lighter, nimble feel to it.

#23 ·
I drove both the F30 and the F10 (535i) last weekend. Mind you, I'm coming from an E92 M3. I REALLY wanted to fall in love with the F10. And before I pushed the Start button, I was. Interior was very nice quality, everything looked superb. But just a few minutes into the drive, my heart started to sink. It drove more like a Buick, or a Lexus. Zero road feel, could barely tell it was RWD. Worst of all, it was totally silent in normal operation. As in, I couldn't even tell the car was on. I guess this is what the typical F10 buyer wants? But for me, it put me to sleep, and did not spark any excitement at all. However, I love the way it looks, inside and out. I guess that is why it is even more of a let down. F30 was better in all respects, except interior fit-and-finish.

#24 · (Edited)
The F10 really needs the ZDH to have the kind of ride and handling most very traditional BMW drivers are looking for. Unfortunately, in this segment there are more buyers who prefer Mercedes E Class type driving dynamics. BMW designed the F10 to be more appealing to those buyers, which they needed to do to better compete in that segment of the market. As much as it pains us BMW has to try to balance their heritage with current market demands.

I can tell you from experience the plain jane F10 535i is still amazingly capable on a closed course and absolutely spanks the E350. The 550i is an absolute beast!!

#33 ·
Two different animals really and I've always felt the the 3 series is the one of the best drivers cars on the market. The handling, power just make the 3 series a winner all around. The 5 series is an incredible car but it's not a car you can whip around corners like you can with the 3 series. I can't wait to get rid of my S5 for the new 3 series coupe which should be brilliant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.