BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Easy to change Rear diff and transfer case oil

17K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  cagui1223 
#1 ·
Tonight I just changed my rear diff oil as well as the transfer case oil. Was so easy to do it, never imagined that I would work on a bmw. The harderst part was to almost dissasembly the tire carrier to get access to the fill plug on the rear differential, a little time consuming. I used the OEM BMW oil for the Transfer case and red line 70-90 for the diff. Very happy finding out that I can work on my bmw, the only doubt here is how to change the front diff oil, I'm still thinking how to get to the fill and drain plug without dissasembling other important things, any advice ? Next DIY proyect will be ATF flush. Thanks to all for this great forum ! :thumbup:

#2 ·
How did the color of the old fluid look compared to new?

The transfer case looks easy - I may do that this summer.
Hardly necessary to even raise the vehicle.
Might just drive onto 4 pieces of 2x10 lumber to gain an extra 1.5" rather than mess with 4 axle stands.

Did you find the transfer case capacity was only 1/3L or just over 1/2L - I have seen both quoted?

With fluid that costs $45/L or something, you don't want to be spilling any.

I figure the transfer case has a harder life than the 2 diffs., so it gets priority in maintenance.

#19 ·
2006 X3 Transfer Case Oil Change

Hello everyone,

My 2006 X3 just hit the 65k mark recently, and with the suggested maintenance schedule i have been reading, the transfer case oil was part of the suggested flush.

I did think about ordering the oil online, but picking it up at the dealer costed $90 for 1L, and I know I over paid, but i was wanting to get it done soon.

I just changed out the transfer case oil yesterday, and to my surprise it too just 1/2L, or 500 ml before it started dribbling out on the fill hole.

What surprised me was how much came out the transfer case when I drained it. It seemed just a tad, maybe 100ml more than 500ml in the drain fluid. I will be doing this when I hit $90k mi, so i'll use the remainder. Can anyone verify that this oil will be alright sitting in my garage for three years?

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure they deleted the drain plug on the LCI models. We will have to suck it out through the fill hole. Mike Miller talked about it in Bimmer magazine. He doesn't like it and neither do I.... But it is what it is, so I'm going to curve a piece of copper tubing so I can suck out as much of the old out as possible when I do mine.

Note how they switched covers in the E83N which takes one plug where the older E83 takes two.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA93&mospid=47794&btnr=33_1193&hg=33&fg=10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PC93&mospid=49511&btnr=33_1275&hg=33&fg=10

#5 ·
Supercourse: You don't need anything to raise the X3 up for the TC oil change, clearance is OK for a normal person. The fluid compared with the new one was so dark, I think this is the first TC oil change for this X3 in 60K miles. The rear diff oil was almost new, compared with the color of brand new oil. I think the rear diff oil was changed not so long ago, but anyway I didn't know so just flushed and changed it. The TC took a little more than 1/2 bottle of OEM BMW TC oil from Bavarian Auto (www.bavauto.com) and yes it cost me like $50 including shipping for just 1L bottle. Now I'm just figuring out how to change the front diff oil and next DIY project will be the TRANS Flush. I'm planning to keep this X3 for a long time so all the fluids need to be changed. This coming saturday I'll flush the power steering fluid. Thanks all for your help in this great forum. God Bless you all ! :thumbup:

#7 ·
Sorry kenza, It's so messy to take my camera out while doing this, I'm a Pro Photographer also, so my equipment is expensive to get oil on it, but next time I'll do my best to capture images with my wife's Point and Shoot for sure. Thanks !

#9 ·
I did this job 2 wks ago. I changed all driveline fluids at 50k. Changed my 6-speed manual gearbox fluid, front and rear diff, and transfer case. Went with redline products on everything except the transfer case, which I used the OEM stuff from Bav auto. The front diff was not hard. I had to drop a splash cover. I used a drill pump attached to an air compressor to pump the fluid into the front diff. fill hole. I also had it up on a lift which made it a piece of cake!

BTW the redline stuff is 6 bucks a liter, I think the diffs take just over a liter on capacity or maybe almost 2? I cant remember.

I'm sorry I didnt take any pictures, BUT the front diff was easier than the rear diff. The splash pan came off much easier than that dang spare tire carrier!

#10 ·
My X3 is Auto, but I still can't find a way to remove the drain bolt from the front diff, I'll try again to look at it next weekend. At this time I have changed almost all the fluids on mine: Engine Oil, Rear Diff Oil, transfer case oil, power steering oil. Just want to change the front diff oil and the brake fluid, but I don't know how yet ! ;)

#11 ·
Hmm. I can take a look at it again this weekend and see. I'll try and take a picture and post it on here. In the meantime, good luck!

#12 ·
That's why I love this forum, always somebody is willing to help, thanks a lot bmwadam, if you can post a pic of your front diff I can compare it to mine, may be I got a different model on my X3, I don't know for sure ! Thanks a lot again ! Blessings !

#15 ·
Well finally figured out and today just changed the front diff oil in our X3, really easy, just removed the 4 bolts on the bottom skid plate, and the access to the fill and drain bolts were so easy. The front diff oil were dirtier than the rear one so I think this is the first time this X3 get a front diff oil change in 60K miles, so great time to do it ! Thanks to everyone here at the forums. Blessings ! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.