BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2011 X3 vs X5 interior dimensions

31K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  TopHatTom 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how the interior dimensions of the two compare. Specifically, the width and depth of the cargo area with the rear seats up (assuming no 3rd row in the X5) and the distance from the seat back on the second row to the A pillar. Basically I want to know how much extra space and utility I would gain by going with the current X5.

#13 ·
Watched a lady open the hatch of her X3 in a parking lot and about 5 bottles rolled out and several broke.:mad: Would have stopped to help but was in the wrong lane and the light turned green. Felt bad for her but it reinforced my resolve to never get another vechicle without a split rear hatch!:angel:

#14 · (Edited)
Please kindly explain what a "split rear hatch" is. Does that mean the wondow rolls down without opening the door?

Next time I'm going to get things to make the cargo area more useful including the ground net to hold things down and the grocery bag holder (2 of them). IMO, they should have been welded into the sidewalls as standard.

#17 ·
In many the window opens up seperate from the hatch allowing you to reach in and place and remove things without having to open the door itself (and keeping things from rolling out). The GM's have this as do some of the others as well. In a Tahoe for example the hatch window goes up and the door goes down allowing a great tailgate/seat. Very useful to have.:D

#23 ·
No, the Volvo hatch also splits with the top 2/3 going up and the bottom third going down for a shelf (as does the X5). Perhaps I wasn't clear in my response, but that was what I was thinking -- anything that keeps "stuff" inside whilst parked on an incline is what I want.:D

#25 ·
Yes, thats what you said. A split hatch/opening window is a better way for rear hatch openings than the whole door swinging up, or (as in Lexus and others) the door swinging out (to the "wrong" side), hindering unloading at the curb and airports. Too bad the new X3 didn't adopt the same hatch as the big brother X5.:rofl:

#29 ·
If you are 6' or taller - you are going to be really uncomfortable trying to drive the new X3. I loved the test drive and my wife really wanted it - but the center console is absolutely huge and being 6'5" tall means there is no comfortable way to drive the car. If you are taller than 6', X5 is only choice. I wish I could have bought the more fuel efficient and more car-like X3 (test drove the 35i), but I just don't fit. In the X3, the center console seems to actually come outward meaning your knee has to be further to the left than the actual accelerator pedal - just not something that is physically comfortable for tall people.

I am really curious to see if there are mechanical reasons for making the center console so huge on the new X3. Maybe something about the compact SUV format that requires use of that space? Note that the Audi Q5 and Lexus RX have exact same issue so BMW X3 isn't alone in this huge center console issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.