BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iPhone 4 cradle/Google integration

13K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  raunen 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm just amazed at the Google integration for maps; astonishing next wave technology that will revolutionize at least how I with my terrible navigation skills am able to, e.g., get updates on where I am going from staff while I'm on the road!

Anybody have any idea what is up with the iPhone 4 cradle? I just don't get it. My dealer is holding off on putting in the smartphone piece for my car, ordered last week, and others have suggested either extension cords, exacto knife solutions, or hard restarts of the iPhone 4 to make it work/fit. None of these are obviously ideal and it is crazy - crazy - that the #1 (for better or worse) phone debut in history is not a fit to a 2011 model of a car that fronts its compatibility with iPhones. Whether you like the iPhone 4 or not, a zillion people have them - or 3GS with the OS4 update - including pretty much anybody who would be fascinated by the new features implicit in this package. SOMEONE needs to speak to BMW before this becomes a joke...or before they decide this is a 2012 feature!

regards,
Glenn McGee
highly anticipatory X5 35D tracker!

#3 ·
Ok ... euro threads suggest SOMETHING is out for iPhone 4...where is the cradle, guys

It is absolutely absurd that there is no iPhone 4 cradle. I do not get it. Please post prominently when you learn of it. If this is some dumb trick to avoid spending money on 2011 retrofit, it is obnoxious to anyone who just bought (at a minimum) :eeps:.

#5 ·
Historically BMW comes out with the cradle about the same time apple comes out with the next iphone, so cradle comes out early next year, iphone 4+ will be out shortly after - I bought the 3G cradle for my 335, but then got a 3GS like 6 months later, now have the 4, just not worth the money for what they charge for the cradle and how long it is usefull!

#6 ·
I agree! It's really pathetic, given the caliber of car we're dealing with. I ordered my X6 a couple of weeks ago and it's due in during the week of Christmas....I'm praying that the new cradle is available by then. I don't want a gimmy rigged smartphone integration.

#9 ·
iPhone 4 snap in cradle is now available from BMW dealers:), cost $210; installation is just easy; remove the dummy place holder and snap in the new cradle. I got it last month and it works great!
Some pictures would be great please! Also, have you tested all of the integration capabilities with this cradle? What are the pros and cons of it? I know that you can't use a bumper/protector while it's in the cradle for example. Does the iPhone get very hot while in the cradle, or does the built-in fan keep it cool? Have you tested the hotspot capability while in the cradle with the armrest closed; if so, does it overheat the iPhone? I would really love to use my macbook's wifi in the car using the iPhone's hotspot capability to access the internet.

Is there anything beside Google, Facebook, and Twitter that you can connect to through the iDrive screen?

#10 ·
iPhone 4 cradle for bimer

I haven't taken any picture of the cradle, but you can view one on eBay where many of them posted for sale by many Internet sellers. iPhone 4 with any case or bumper will not fit; they have to be removed. I just used once and not enough to provide answers to all your concerns.

#12 ·
I tried to order the new cradle at the dealership and they gave me two different ones. One that only works for the phone. The media version only works with X5's after production July 10 (my X5 is Jan 10). Now they are ordering something from Germany. It is killing me. I just want the cradle to work with my music.

#14 ·
From what I've heard, the cradle will allow you to interface with the roof-mounted shark fin antenna, which substantially boosts signal strength. It also has a fan to help keep the iPhone relatively cool. But let me know if you notice an increase in your signal strength by just using the USB connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.