BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fuel filler door, defective paint

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  CodyItaliano 
#1 ·
the clear coat on my fuel door was bubbling for some time. after i had clay bared the car, it got worse and the clear coat started lifting and looked pretty bad. it had been getting worse since it started raining a lot. also got worse from taking it to the car wash.

so yesterday i tried wet sanding just the clear coat off, but the paint underneith was pretty bad as well. so basically it looked worse than before i started. so i had to do something.

i didnt want to try and repaint it since i dont have that particular color available unless i order it, which would take a little while. so i decided to give it a faux carbon fiber sticker treatment. didnt think it could hurt to try.

it actually came out looking awesome. smoothed the surface out and around the edges. i used a heat gun to seal the edged that wrap around back so it wont peel off. honestly, i never thought this product would have such a good look, but it does. take a look. i'm not really a carbon fiber kind of guy, but this looks pretty nice compared to how it was looking.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey good job making it work.. I hope that colormatching of a fuel door is in your future.. (ps you must work at Orielly Auto...)

#3 ·
Thanks. It looks legit. I think if I put a couple coats of clear coat on, it would be difficult to destinguish it as not being the real deal.

BTW you must shop at O'reillys then eh?

#5 ·
One of my best friends works there and I spend a lot of time hanging out at the counter... It looks real for sure, how hard was that product to work with?

#6 ·
Well I cut the piece a bit larger than the fuel door. Cleaned the surface well, used Invisible Glass wipes, worked well.

Peeled the wax paper off the cf sticker, layer it sticky side up. Carefully posisitioned the door on top and basically worked the sticker down from the center out.

The rounded edges were the most difficult. I did use a heat gun to finess it, being careful not to scortch the product. Again used the heat gun on the back side where the sticker was folded over to make it stick well and basically seal it on. Im doing some pieces on my old Hondas flip up headlights. I'll post up some pics of those too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.