BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Seat "Vests" for Sport Seats

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bimmerguy 
#1 ·
Does anyone make a high quality seat "vest" for BMW sport seats? What I mean by seat vest is something like a seat cover, but it only runs down the middle of the seat and does not cover the side bolsters.

Winter is coming on again and the frigid non-heated 'ette seats are a drag. In this nasy hot weather we have been having, I sweat all over the seats. It doesn't help that in the mornings we have physical fitness some distance from the gym and I seat up my seats driving to the showers.

From a apperence standpoint and the sweat factor mentioned above I would like to avoid a sheep skin like material.

I did some searching yesterday, but only found full seat covers...Most were pretty nasty looking.

#2 ·
Desertnate said:
Does anyone make a high quality seat "vest" for BMW sport seats? What I mean by seat vest is something like a seat cover, but it only runs down the middle of the seat and does not cover the side bolsters.

Winter is coming on again and the frigid non-heated 'ette seats are a drag. In this nasy hot weather we have been having, I sweat all over the seats. It doesn't help that in the mornings we have physical fitness some distance from the gym and I seat up my seats driving to the showers.

From a apperence standpoint and the sweat factor mentioned above I would like to avoid a sheep skin like material.

I did some searching yesterday, but only found full seat covers...Most were pretty nasty looking.
How about walking to the showers? How far ist it?

#3 ·
tierfreund said:
It's a mile or two and I have to carry my uniform...so I would do our physical fittness, walk a mile lugging all my clothes and gear, shower, walk back over a mile in 110 degree heat (or freezing temps in the winter). Since this is in the morning before work, I am going to loose a load of time.

Beyond the working out, just sitting in the car on really hot days makes one stick to the seats or start sweating on long drives...yuck. In the winter after the car has set out in sub freexing temps at work, the seats a pretty rude surprise when you sit down.

I really wish I knew cloth seats were a hidden option.

#4 ·
tierfreund said:
Reminds me of how my father told me stories of having to walk 5 miles to school in the snow. Now we're telling kids about how we remember having to actually walk from P.E. to the showers. :rofl: Seriously, I'm guessing he wouldn't bring it up if it was close enough to walk. I remember our coach having us drive to various places several miles away for track practice sometimes. Of course gas was cheap way back then. ;)

Just a suggestion, but I have beige interior and always keep a matching beige towel in the car to put over the seat or tuck into the top into the head rest for whenever I'm sweaty from the gym or coming home from the beach. Then you can just pull it off and throw it in the trunk or backseat floor for normal driving. IMO, it's a better option than attaching something ugly to the seat on a semi permanent basis.

#5 ·
OK, I get it. If it´s any consolation, the leather seats are just as bad. Any sunshine comes out and my back gets sweated through (I don´t believe in deep freezing my frontside with the AC).
But then, I don´t think seat covers will help either. The problem with the sweaty back is that the moisture has nowhere to go since it can´t pass the ette. You´ll only be putting on another layer of cloth that you´ll sweat through.
Cloth seats really do have an advantage here. Or an E or S Merc with climatized perforated leather seats.

#6 ·
1Dreamer said:
Reminds me of how my father told me stories of having to walk 5 miles to school in the snow. Now we're telling kids about how we remember having to actually walk from P.E. to the showers. :rofl: Seriously, I'm guessing he wouldn't bring it up if it was close enough to walk. I remember our coach having us drive to various places several miles away for track practice sometimes. Of course gas was cheap way back then. ;)

Just a suggestion, but I have beige interior and always keep a matching beige towel in the car to put over the seat or tuck into the top into the head rest for whenever I'm sweaty from the gym or coming home from the beach. Then you can just pull it off and throw it in the trunk or backseat floor for normal driving. IMO, it's a better option than attaching something ugly to the seat on a semi permanent basis.
I may just have to use a towel if I can't find anything else out there.

#7 ·
I feel for you Nate. I drive from the gym to the Sq. to shower after PT, because there is always a line at the showers. We are lucky enough to have a shower at the Sq. I put seat covers on my car to protect the seats from the sweat and wear.

#8 · (Edited)
Desertnate said:
I may just have to use a towel if I can't find anything else out there.
Have you seen these neoprene covers made by Wet Okole? Not a "vest" and not cheap ($225 a set) but you can order them for a custom fit in matching solid colors. I've seen them recommended by people, they are said to be well made and fit well. From the pictures they look OK.

"Our custom neoprene backed car seat covers are designed to fit every popular model of car, van or truck. They do not get hot in the summer or cold in the winter. They are waterproof and fit your seats like a glove. Seat botttom and back are bonded to 1/2 " foam for added comfort and protection.

We manufacture our seat covers in the USA using the finest materials. We offer color combinations to match most car interiors. These seat covers are easy to install and use high quality quick connect fasteners and Velcro.

They are designed with separate covers for head rests and arm rests. Our neoprene has nylon bonded to both sides for easier installation, better fit and ultimate protection. We use only the best quality CR 100% neoprene."

EDIT: Just noticed this. It says you can order them in solid colors, but if you scroll down on the order page it says the side bolsters are always black :confused: so unless you have black interior it would probably look too funky. :eeps:

#9 · (Edited)
Why the vest style? The side bolsters need to be protected, too.

I got a set of cloth full seat covers from Pacific BMW for track use. Not the best looking, but they seem very durable so far (it's a denim-like material), and aren't very expensive. They fit pretty good, too. My only regret is I got anthracite (which turned out to be a light gray) rather than black.

They're called "Easy on/Easy off" seat covers, and Pacific has them for $62/pair (pic is from their website).

Attachments

#10 ·
elbert said:
Why the vest style? The side bolsters need to be protected, too.

I got a set of cloth full seat covers from Pacific BMW for track use. Not the best looking, but they seem very durable so far (it's a denim-like material), and aren't very expensive. They fit pretty good, too. My only regret is I got anthracite (which turned out to be a light gray) rather than black.

They're called "Easy on/Easy off" seat covers, and Pacific has them for $62/pair.

I was thinking the vest style more for aestetics than anything else. I hadn't found any decent looking covers.

The image you loaded doesn't come up here at work, but I take a look at them from home.

Thanks.

#13 ·
phrider said:
BMW sells them for the sport seats in the Z3. I've got'em, I like'em.
Do you know if the sport seats in the Z3 are any thing like the sport seats in the E46?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.