BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

comfort to sport seat retrofit?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bimmerd00d 
#1 ·
anyone with an early model e39 with the comfort(heated, lumbar, extending head rest, etc) retrofit a set of sport seats from a later model e39? curious if the the wiring harness is compatible or needs to be modified. tia..

#3 ·
I've been looking as well

I called the dealer and said that it would cost about $13,000.00. The technician I spoke with said that they would have to change out the seats and redo the wiring harness and such. I don't know if that's for sure or he's just padding out the price. Yes the sports seats are great already, but comfort would be nice to have as well but with that price tag.. hmm. So if anyone out there knows of a source please let us now.

#4 ·
I have tan leather comfort seats in my 1997 sport. I wish I had the sport seats.

#5 ·
You can def do it, The wiring harness Im not to sure about

#9 ·
Ill do it for 12k right now.. Save you a grand.. :p JK

I believe the wiring will be the same if you stick close in years. The main thing to consider is the airbag system. You want to make sure you get the seats from a car which has the same airbag system as yours otherwise your airbag light is going to stay on. I would call around to local salvage yards and see if they have a decent set of seats. Also, those guys are usually pretty good with knowing what years will work and what wont.
DanT

#13 ·
I happen to have a '98 540i with comfort and a '00 528i with sport seats in my possession, I was considering the swap, but I think it's a bit more intrusive than i want to get with my mom's car. :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.