BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

e46 bmw 323i problem

Tags
323i bmw e46
11K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  m-series 
#1 ·
instead of describing what it sounds like i put up a link, apart from the noise it is sluggish compared to what it should be

#25 · (Edited)
Has this lack of hp been going on for a while? Has it been a gradual change or something within the last weeks or months?
I am hoping to keep this thread going so we can get more help. My general automotive knowledge is fairly good. My BWM specific knowledge is not that good.
You are not going to get a gread deal of hp out of a 323.

#26 ·
OP thinks this may not be the original engine....an engine making anywhere *near* 200 HP would tend to confirm that idea....

#34 ·
Got a question...

Hey guys! my Bmw 323i - 00 Engine Head Gasket probably broke today, because i got oil in the water or at least Im hoping its just the gasket. My question is can i buy a 1 mm gasket instead of the 0.7mm gasket even if Im not planing on grinding the head? will the 0.3 mm difference change the compression? And has anybody changed the gasket on this engine? Is It hard? and do i need any special tools for it?

#35 ·
I believe you`re jumping the gun, my boy....the FIRST step should be to make a proper diagnosis. Get a compression/leakdown test performed before doing anything else.

#36 ·
What about the oil in the water? what could it be if not the gasket or the head itself thats cracked? I mean the compression could be fine but the gasket could still be broken between the oil and water "compartments" or? I don't have a lot of time as i need the car to get to and from work, wanna get parts ordered as soon as possible^^

#37 · (Edited)
Oil & water combined is usually a result of one of the following:

Head gasket

Cracked head

Cracked block

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.