BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

eas | Official DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit Q/A Thread

134K views 638 replies 108 participants last post by  Edgy36-39 
#1 ·
After months of testing, we would like to be the first to announce the new SILVERLINE iPod integration kit from DICE. This kit was engineered to take full advantage of the current iPods, as well as fully supporting previous models.

We hae been integrating iPods into BMWs since 2003 and are DICE Electronics' only authorized BMW/MINI Technology partner. Bringing our extensive knowlegde of BMW audio systems and through our continued long-term relationship, we keep support as our #1 priority and continue the tradition with our Q/A sessions.

New SILVERLINE features will include full Artist, Album and Playlist directories. the Clickwheel is no longer unlocked in earlier iPods in order to utilize these new features.

This thread will be for questions regarding the Dice SILVERLINE iPod integration kit for your BMW. Questions regarding features, compatibility, suggestions, installation questions and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

Connect your iPod to your vehicle's factory entertainment system and hear what your iPod should sound like in your BMW. CD-quality sound and controlled from your BMW's radio or steering wheel buttons without the need for messy adapters or FM transmitters. The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit always keeps your iPod integrated, charged and ready to go. The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit will also display text from your iPod onto your BMWs Radio/Navigation display allowing you to view Artist, Song Title and Album name while both hands are safe on the steering wheel.

Kit Configurations (Trunk vs Radio Interface)

The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

iPod connection (Docking Cable)

A clean factory looking installation is possible with our sleek iPod docking cable (included), allowing full connectivity for all iPods utilizing a dock connector - including the iPhone and iPod touch.

The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit connects right to the cd changer connectors or radio connector (depending on configuration) already present in your BMW. The DICE SILVERLINE module transfers information between the iPod and radio through an included iPod-specific docking cable, as if it were an original BMW accessory.

New features of DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration kit include:

- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmiters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display on your factory radio or Navigation screen
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song with song listing
- Browse by Individual Playlist with Playlist Directory listing
- Browse by Individual Albums with Album Directory Listing
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for iPods through included dock connector

You can browse your iPod with the radio buttons without booting into separate modes. Using the integrated DIP switches allows you to revert from DICE and Simple UI mode, Allowing the iPod to remain in "iPod UI" allows for a basic operation of the iPod's Clickwheel and can be switched to Enhanced DICE mode at any time.

Browse through your iPod by Song, Artist or Album:

You now have the ability to browse through your iPod by Artist, Album or by Individual songs within a Playlists. Unlike other kits, you are permitted UNLIMITED PLaylists and to name them however you wish. Album and PLaylist directories are now supported with SILVERLINE.

Full Text Display on your Factory Radio or Navigation Display:

See your favorite song titles, album info and artist on your factory radio/navigation display with the SILVERLINE as if it were a factory BMW option.

AUX compatibility with user-adjustable Sound Output settings:

Connect any external audio device including: aftermarket satellite radio, CD/DVD players, non-Apple MP3 players and more! Bass, mid, treble and gain settings can be adjusted on the fly. These options allow for distortion-free audio input.

Selecting between audio from your iPod or AUX input is done with the press of a button on your radio.

- Volume Output (selectable 1-100)
- Bass (selectable 1-100)
- Midrange (selectable 1-100)
- Treble (selectable 1-100)

Charging Control:

Charging of your iPod while in play, never have a dead iPod again!

Compatible with previous and current-model iPods:

The SILVERLINE is compatible with all iPods that feature a dock connector, including the new Classic, 3rd Generation nano, iPod touch and iPhone.

Models Supported:

1996-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for e9X models)*
1997-2003 5-series, including M5
1999-2001 7 series
2004-2008 X3
2000-2006 X5
1996-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2008 Z4, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2000-2003 Z8

Compatible with the following iPod models:

iPod 3rd Generation 10/15/20/30/40GB
iPod 4th Generation 20/40 GB
iPod 5th Generation Video 30/60/80GB
iPod Classic 80/160 GB
iPod Color 20/60 GB
iPod Photo 30/40/60GB
iPod mini
iPod 1st Generation nano
iPod 2nd Generation nano
iPod 3rd Generation nano
iPod Touch
iPhone

Kits can be purchased through our website or this link as this thread will be used for general questions and support only:

eas | DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kits now available for BMW
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2916464

Kits are already shipping as of today.

Questions & comments are welcome in this thread, and thanks for your continued support over the years.

See less See more
#50 ·
so far so good with the silverline. The only complaint I have so far is that When i use the iPod classic and go to a short playlist i made. It doesn't respect the order of the tracks instead it plays them on album order, this doesn't happen on the iPhone, it works correctly on it.

The iPod classic is version 1.1, I just updated to 1.1.1 right now, let's see if it makes a difference tomorrow.

#54 ·
#55 ·
Hi Tom,

I'm interested in the BMW - iPod Integration Kit for e90/e91/e92 3-series for my 2008 3 series coupe. Do you have instructions that I could look at before deciding to make this purchase?

Being that it's a 2008, do you have any knowledge about whether I will need the dealer to activate it?

Thanks for your help.

Todd

#67 ·
A question for Tom: About a year and a half ago I bought the dice kit for my 2000 528i with dsp. I also got the dsp adapter and the cradle. Recently, I purchased an Iphone. Althought the current dice plays the track on my iphone, does the silver line ad more options for the iphone? What do I have to purchase in order to upgrade to the silverline? Can I use the same cables and dsp adapter? Is there another adapter for the cradle for the iphone? What about bluetooth? or how do I get the cell phone to play through my speakers? Sorry about all the ??'s Thanks, Jeff

#69 ·
Tom/All,

My DICE Silverline arrived from EAS this week. I can't wait to get this installed but I have a few questions.

1) I purchased the model with the Radio Interface. The manual that came with the kit shows a trunk install. Am I missing something? The reason I bought the radio interface version was to avoid a trunk install. Perhaps I got the wrong manual or maybe they don't have a manual for the radio install?

2) The manual states that the car config dip switches should be Off/Off for "late model Business CD" radio systems. I have a 2004 325xi with the Business CD. Can I assume that 2004 is a "late model" and leave the dip switches in the off/off position?

3) It appears the manual is incorrect as it pertains to the iPod config switches. It says "It is recommended that you leave these switches in the default (OFF/ON) position." However, the default position (as my model was shipped) is OFF/OFF. If I want the Locked/DICE mode, should I leave the default OR should the switches be Off/ON? Earlier in this thread scottgbp posed the same question. Tom's response was "the manual is correct". I can't see how the manual can be correct since the unit is shipped off/off and that configuration is not mentioned as a supported configuration.

4) I still have to choose which iPod to purchase. I noticed some discussion on bugs related to the shuffle feature for some iPod models. Any recommendation on which iPod is the least buggy? Anyone know which iPod was used most during product testing?

5) Originally I was planning on installing to the sunglass holder. Now that I know the iPod itself will be locked, I am debating installing to the glove box instead so it will be out of the way. Any opinions on the pros/cons?

Thanks!

#70 ·
Tom/All,

My DICE Silverline arrived from EAS this week. I can't wait to get this installed but I have a few questions.

1) I purchased the model with the Radio Interface. The manual that came with the kit shows a trunk install. Am I missing something? The reason I bought the radio interface version was to avoid a trunk install. Perhaps I got the wrong manual or maybe they don't have a manual for the radio install?
Please email me with your full name and I'll get you a set of instructions sent.

2) The manual states that the car config dip switches should be Off/Off for "late model Business CD" radio systems. I have a 2004 325xi with the Business CD. Can I assume that 2004 is a "late model" and leave the dip switches in the off/off position?
We leave the switches all in the UP position for best results.

3) It appears the manual is incorrect as it pertains to the iPod config switches. It says "It is recommended that you leave these switches in the default (OFF/ON) position." However, the default position (as my model was shipped) is OFF/OFF. If I want the Locked/DICE mode, should I leave the default OR should the switches be Off/ON? Earlier in this thread scottgbp posed the same question. Tom's response was "the manual is correct". I can't see how the manual can be correct since the unit is shipped off/off and that configuration is not mentioned as a supported configuration.
The older instructions do have an error in them, this has been corrected. The kits remain unchanged in the process.

4) I still have to choose which iPod to purchase. I noticed some discussion on bugs related to the shuffle feature for some iPod models. Any recommendation on which iPod is the least buggy? Anyone know which iPod was used most during product testing?
I recommend getting the largest iPod you can afford. All iPod will exhibit the same features when connected to the DICE.

5) Originally I was planning on installing to the sunglass holder. Now that I know the iPod itself will be locked, I am debating installing to the glove box instead so it will be out of the way. Any opinions on the pros/cons?

Thanks!
None to report. iPod placement is not important since all control is performed by the radio and/or steering wheel controls. Simply place it in a convenient place for access when needed to sync music.

#74 ·
Hi Tom,

received my DICE Silverline today and everything fine after a few errors on my account. Just a few questions. The 15 character Text Display won't work, I can select it but it won't work. Also how can I select the Shuffle function on the 16:9 Navigation screen? And in what mode (Song, Artist, Album) will the shuffle mode work?

Any idea's?

#75 ·
Small font display is very hard to read in a moving vehicle, we prefer the CD6/TRACK6 setting instead. This is limited to 8 characters and scrolls on a right to left formation.

#76 · (Edited)
Tom, I posted another question about the shuffle function.

Also how can I select the Shuffle function on the 16:9 Navigation screen? And in what mode (Song, Artist, Album) will the shuffle mode work?

And there's another problem I just discovered. The Navigation works, but there are no spoken instructions. The music stops for a second when instructions should be given, so that's correct. But no spoken words, very strange. I set the volume to Maximum. What could be wrong?

#80 ·
Hi Tom, is Radio Interface installation a difficult task? Although Trunk Interface looks easier but I don't want 15ft of cable running around the car.

Can you send or explain what level of skills and tools will be required to fit the Radio Interface? If I use the Trunk interface, will I be able to navigate through the Ipod music using my nav screen or will have to use ipod itself? Thanks!

#81 ·
Hi Tom, is Radio Interface installation a difficult task? Although Trunk Interface looks easier but I don't want 15ft of cable running around the car.

Can you send or explain what level of skills and tools will be required to fit the Radio Interface? If I use the Trunk interface, will I be able to navigate through the Ipod music using my nav screen or will have to use ipod itself? Thanks!
The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

The features are the same for both kits. Email me directly and I can provide install instructions for the kit.

#85 ·
:confused: I don't have a multi-cd changer. I just have the nav system in the trunk.

Does that mean I cannot use trunk interface Dice?
We can put a DICE in your e46. Are you prewired for a cd changer even though its not present?

#82 ·
Iphone use through Dice Aux input?

Can the iphone be hooked up to the Dice Silverline Ipod kit using an optional AUX cord connected to the headphone jack on the iphone? I have heard the iphone can be heard over the car stereo using an AUX connector for phone conversations and the mic on the iphone will pick up your voice if it is in or near the cup holder on an X3. If this works, I'm hoping it could be a way to have hands free capability since my X3 does not have bluetooth.

#84 ·
Can the iphone be hooked up to the Dice Silverline Ipod kit using an optional AUX cord connected to the headphone jack on the iphone? I have heard the iphone can be heard over the car stereo using an AUX connector for phone conversations and the mic on the iphone will pick up your voice if it is in or near the cup holder on an X3. If this works, I'm hoping it could be a way to have hands free capability since my X3 does not have bluetooth.
The DICE will interact with the iPhone using the bottom dock connector, not the headphone jack. This allows full control and text readout on your radio display.

#90 ·
Originally Posted by NorthStar7

The older instructions do have an error in them, this has been corrected. The kits remain unchanged in the process.
Tom, I'm still a bit confused with your reply. Exactly what is the error? And what is the correct dip switch configuration to use in the "Locked Mode"?

Is it Scheme A or Scheme B as follows?

Scheme A
Car Config. Switches
1) off
2) off
Ipod Config. Switches
1) off
2) off

Scheme B
Car Config. Switches
1) off
2) off
Ipod Config. Switches
1) off
2) on

Thanks

#91 ·
By the way, I finally got my DICE unit to play pure music, free of any noise or clicking!!!!!! It took about 4 tries, beginning with the original DICE unit, 2 replacement DIce units, and ultimately with a Silverline unit. But I don't think it was the Silverline that fixed my noise problems. In fact I still had the clicking noises when I first installed the Silverline through the trunk interface (like all my other previous installatations.)

The real solution was when I decided to install the unit at the radio head unit, instead of the trunk interface. To do this, I had to shell out another $50 bucks on EAS's Radio Connect Harness (R17). But it was totally worth it, since all my noise issues have been solved.

For anyone else having chronic noise issues with you DICE unit (whether original or Silverline), I highly recommend trying the radio interface installation. After about a year trying to figure out why?? why?? why?? it sounded the way it did.. i finally got it to sound like I always knew it could... VERY satisfied.

#94 ·
Tom, but it was not engine noise, as you suggest, that caused all the noise problems when using the trunk harness. The clicking noise I experienced was not affected by the engine being turned on or off , and was not affected by engine rpm (e.g. engine whine some people complain about). Rather, the noise was present at all times, whether engine was on or off, and whether the key was at turn 0, 1, or 2 on the ignition. However, the noise was more prevalent when the ignition was turned to 1 or 2 since this activated the steering wheel controls, which I believe added to the noise (explained below).

I think instead the clicking noise was due to electromagnetic interference ("cross-talk") in the bundled set of cables routed between the radio head unit and the trunk-mounted amplifier. Here are my reasons why:

First, it must be clarified that while the trunk harness is located in the trunk and connected to connectors near the trunk-mounted amplifier, the connection actually leads to the radio heat unit, and not the amplifier directly. In other words, the Silverline connection is routed from the trunk (where DICE is located), to the radio head unit (at dashboard), back to the trunk (where amplifier is located).

Secondly, for those of you who have tried doing the trunk interface installation, you have seen a bundle of cables connected to the amplifier in the trunk. This bundle includes cables connecting to the radio head unit as well as to all the speakers in your car. (NOTE: the cable bundle is routed from the trunk to the radio head unit by way of the center console where the shifter is located - I discover this when I opened up the dashboard and shifter console to do the Silverline installation via the radio head unit).

So by installing the DICE unit using the trunk interface harness, you are adding to and becoming a part of the cable bundle. As such, I think the control signals going to the IPOD, the text signals coming from the IPOD, and the steering wheel control signals going to the amplifier, all contributed to generating cross-talk on the speaker wires connecting the amplifier to the speaker.

Long story short (too late hheheh!!), by making the Silverline installation at the radio head unit, the cross-talk is either elimitated or substantially reduced.

Hope this theory/explanation helps some of you avoid the aggravation I went through. Good luck!!

#95 ·
Tom, but it was not engine noise, as you suggest, that caused all the noise problems when using the trunk harness. The clicking noise I experienced was not affected by the engine being turned on or off , and was not affected by engine rpm (e.g. engine whine some people complain about). Rather, the noise was present at all times, whether engine was on or off, and whether the key was at turn 0, 1, or 2 on the ignition. However, the noise was more prevalent when the ignition was turned to 1 or 2 since this activated the steering wheel controls, which I believe added to the noise (explained below).

I think instead the clicking noise was due to electromagnetic interference ("cross-talk") in the bundled set of cables routed between the radio head unit and the trunk-mounted amplifier. Here are my reasons why:

First, it must be clarified that while the trunk harness is located in the trunk and connected to connectors near the trunk-mounted amplifier, the connection actually leads to the radio heat unit, and not the amplifier directly. In other words, the Silverline connection is routed from the trunk (where DICE is located), to the radio head unit (at dashboard), back to the trunk (where amplifier is located).

Secondly, for those of you who have tried doing the trunk interface installation, you have seen a bundle of cables connected to the amplifier in the trunk. This bundle includes cables connecting to the radio head unit as well as to all the speakers in your car. (NOTE: the cable bundle is routed from the trunk to the radio head unit by way of the center console where the shifter is located - I discover this when I opened up the dashboard and shifter console to do the Silverline installation via the radio head unit).

So by installing the DICE unit using the trunk interface harness, you are adding to and becoming a part of the cable bundle. As such, I think the control signals going to the IPOD, the text signals coming from the IPOD, and the steering wheel control signals going to the amplifier, all contributed to generating cross-talk on the speaker wires connecting the amplifier to the speaker.

Long story short (too late hheheh!!), by making the Silverline installation at the radio head unit, the cross-talk is either elimitated or substantially reduced.

Hope this theory/explanation helps some of you avoid the aggravation I went through. Good luck!!
Good reasoning mate. How tough was it to do the radio interface installation yourself? I am interested in the cleanest-possible look but unconfindent abt my DIY skills.

#98 ·
Hello, are there any places in SoCal where I can purchase DICE and/or have it installed? I went to Al and Ed's Autosound, but they only sell this adapter USA Spec PA11GM. I would really like the DICE because of the radio display and other great features, but I don't want to install it myself. Thanks.

#101 ·
I`ll just receive my DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series 97-03, my friend before ordering that kit choose:
Build date range: 1997-2000 year!
But what I`ll have? I RECIVE A R40 interface!!! I`ll wait this KIT for a month! And what now? What I need to do with that interface!? I need a round pin!!! R17 interface, and I tell you about that, about round pin! You says: Build date range: 1997-2000 year! But I receive R40 interface! :mad:
WTF TOM? I`ll wait so long for that KIT, and now what?

#102 ·
Please snap a picture of the connector on your radio and email it to me so we can find out what configuration you have. Include your full name as reference.

#107 ·
BMWucT. Dice Kit question
You receive this e-mail, right? it`s my mail with scan.
Order number & buyer info on that scan.
Pre-order info on that scan:
DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series/M5 97-03 (Trunk Interface)
Build Date Range: 1997-2000 i
t`s mean R17 interface!!! EAS send me R40!!! Way Tom???
What we do now Tom?!
I`ll wait for your reply soon as possible!!!

#108 ·
BMWucT. Dice Kit question
You receive this e-mail, right? it`s my mail with scan.
Order number & buyer info on that scan.
Pre-order info on that scan:
DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series/M5 97-03 (Trunk Interface)
Build Date Range: 1997-2000
it`s means R17 interface!!! EAS send me R40!!! Why Tom???
What we do now Tom?!
I`ll wait for your reply soon as possible!!!
P.S. delete plz my previous post

#109 ·
Tom I would like to get the Silverline kit with radio interface. I have Nav so is there anything extra I would need to buy? Also I will probably have this installed if I can find a reputable shop in San Antonio to do it . Do the installers need to put the dice module somewhere that I can get to it or can it be stored somewhere behind the dash out of sight? I.E. will I need access to the module once installed? Ready to order as soon as I hear back.
Thanks in advance.

#112 ·
#110 · (Edited)
Tom what are you waiting for? Give me some advise! Or send me corect cable, R17! it is possible? Because it`s a mistake of EAS, not my, I order R17 1997-2000! And I`ll wait for a month, and what I get? Kit that***8217;s not compatible (cable, connectors) with my BMW?!?!?!
I`ll wait for your reply soon as possible!

#111 ·
Tom what are you waiting for? Give me some advise! Or send me corect cable, R17! it is possible? Because it`s a mistake of EAS, not my, I order R17 1997-2000! And I`ll wait for a month, and what I get? Kit that's not compatible (cable, connectors) with my BMW?!?!?!
I`ll wait for your reply soon as possible!
Please keep in mind there is a significant time difference between Ukraine and the US. I have your email and will be responding shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.