BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

eas | Official DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit Q/A Thread

134K views 638 replies 108 participants last post by  Edgy36-39 
#1 ·
After months of testing, we would like to be the first to announce the new SILVERLINE iPod integration kit from DICE. This kit was engineered to take full advantage of the current iPods, as well as fully supporting previous models.

We hae been integrating iPods into BMWs since 2003 and are DICE Electronics' only authorized BMW/MINI Technology partner. Bringing our extensive knowlegde of BMW audio systems and through our continued long-term relationship, we keep support as our #1 priority and continue the tradition with our Q/A sessions.

New SILVERLINE features will include full Artist, Album and Playlist directories. the Clickwheel is no longer unlocked in earlier iPods in order to utilize these new features.

This thread will be for questions regarding the Dice SILVERLINE iPod integration kit for your BMW. Questions regarding features, compatibility, suggestions, installation questions and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

Connect your iPod to your vehicle's factory entertainment system and hear what your iPod should sound like in your BMW. CD-quality sound and controlled from your BMW's radio or steering wheel buttons without the need for messy adapters or FM transmitters. The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit always keeps your iPod integrated, charged and ready to go. The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit will also display text from your iPod onto your BMWs Radio/Navigation display allowing you to view Artist, Song Title and Album name while both hands are safe on the steering wheel.

Kit Configurations (Trunk vs Radio Interface)

The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

iPod connection (Docking Cable)

A clean factory looking installation is possible with our sleek iPod docking cable (included), allowing full connectivity for all iPods utilizing a dock connector - including the iPhone and iPod touch.

The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit connects right to the cd changer connectors or radio connector (depending on configuration) already present in your BMW. The DICE SILVERLINE module transfers information between the iPod and radio through an included iPod-specific docking cable, as if it were an original BMW accessory.

New features of DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration kit include:

- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmiters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display on your factory radio or Navigation screen
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song with song listing
- Browse by Individual Playlist with Playlist Directory listing
- Browse by Individual Albums with Album Directory Listing
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for iPods through included dock connector

You can browse your iPod with the radio buttons without booting into separate modes. Using the integrated DIP switches allows you to revert from DICE and Simple UI mode, Allowing the iPod to remain in "iPod UI" allows for a basic operation of the iPod's Clickwheel and can be switched to Enhanced DICE mode at any time.

Browse through your iPod by Song, Artist or Album:

You now have the ability to browse through your iPod by Artist, Album or by Individual songs within a Playlists. Unlike other kits, you are permitted UNLIMITED PLaylists and to name them however you wish. Album and PLaylist directories are now supported with SILVERLINE.

Full Text Display on your Factory Radio or Navigation Display:

See your favorite song titles, album info and artist on your factory radio/navigation display with the SILVERLINE as if it were a factory BMW option.

AUX compatibility with user-adjustable Sound Output settings:

Connect any external audio device including: aftermarket satellite radio, CD/DVD players, non-Apple MP3 players and more! Bass, mid, treble and gain settings can be adjusted on the fly. These options allow for distortion-free audio input.

Selecting between audio from your iPod or AUX input is done with the press of a button on your radio.

- Volume Output (selectable 1-100)
- Bass (selectable 1-100)
- Midrange (selectable 1-100)
- Treble (selectable 1-100)

Charging Control:

Charging of your iPod while in play, never have a dead iPod again!

Compatible with previous and current-model iPods:

The SILVERLINE is compatible with all iPods that feature a dock connector, including the new Classic, 3rd Generation nano, iPod touch and iPhone.

Models Supported:

1996-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for e9X models)*
1997-2003 5-series, including M5
1999-2001 7 series
2004-2008 X3
2000-2006 X5
1996-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2008 Z4, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2000-2003 Z8

Compatible with the following iPod models:

iPod 3rd Generation 10/15/20/30/40GB
iPod 4th Generation 20/40 GB
iPod 5th Generation Video 30/60/80GB
iPod Classic 80/160 GB
iPod Color 20/60 GB
iPod Photo 30/40/60GB
iPod mini
iPod 1st Generation nano
iPod 2nd Generation nano
iPod 3rd Generation nano
iPod Touch
iPhone

Kits can be purchased through our website or this link as this thread will be used for general questions and support only:

eas | DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kits now available for BMW
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2916464

Kits are already shipping as of today.

Questions & comments are welcome in this thread, and thanks for your continued support over the years.

See less See more
#5 ·
TOM G. thanks man, for that you have developed this DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kits for me :thumbup:
That KIT is 100% guaranteed combine with my radio block, cd changer out? (Please look at foto of my radio block cd changer out)
I assume it for the europe BMW? :)
P.S. That kits have no problems with conditioner? I heard in the old version with it, there were problems***8230;.
P.S.S. Can you send me a foto of DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series/M5 97-03 (Trunk Interface) wire that connect directly to the cd changer connectors (out)? I wish to be convinced that it is suitable connectors***8230;.
P.S.S.S. Sorry for bad English :dunno:

Radio block, empty slot is this a cd changer connectors?

Attachments

#6 ·
TOM G. thanks man, for that you have developed this DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kits for me :thumbup:
That KIT is 100% guaranteed combine with my radio block, cd changer out? (Please look at foto of my radio block cd changer out)
I assume it for the europe BMW? :)
P.S. That kits have no problems with conditioner? I heard in the old version with it, there were problems…..
P.S.S. Can you send me a foto of DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series/M5 97-03 (Trunk Interface) wire that connect directly to the cd changer connectors (out)? I wish to be convinced that it is suitable connectors…..
P.S.S.S. Sorry for bad English :dunno:

Radio block, empty slot is this a cd changer connectors?
The HVAC issue was an old issue back in Feb 06, it has long been cleared up.

The rear connector looks fine, can you send me a picture of the face of the radio?

#10 ·
Tom/Anyone,

I want to get this for my e46 but I'm a little confused.
What exactly is the difference and advantages/disadvantages to the trunk install and radio install. Most importantly, which one is easier to install? The instructions look straight forward, but I don't know if I feel comfortable doing this myself.

Also, I would like to mount the iPod beside the cigarette lighter as shown in the photo, is that included in the instructions?

Sal

#11 ·
We will not offer the ashtray mounts for a few reasons. The dock might be ok for a desk or surface - but we are talking about a moving vehicle. This places a lot of unnecessary wear on the dock connector of the iPod and can damage it within time. Vehicles with stiff suspension make the problem worse.

Since the iPod controls are now locked with SILVERLINE - there is no reason for this type of device, especially at the same cost of the DICE kit itself.

Navigation of the iPod would be virtually impossible in this position. A very serious point to bring up is if the vehicle was involved in an head-on collision and the iPod was projected in front of a deploying airbag, since the iPod isn't secured properly. Here***8217;s what I recommend instead:

DICE iPod Cradle w/ Video Support
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_69_135_170&products_id=269

You'll notice the iPod is supported by the bottom and the sides. This is necessary in a moving vehicle. I think the concept is very neat, just not practical without something securing the iPod safely. To be perfectly fair, I have not heard a case of this happening yet. I certainly wouldn't want to be the first.

The difference between the trunk vs radio interface kits are explained in the first post, the radio kits offer a simplified installation that can be performed in about 20 minutes, compared to the trunk interface kits.

#14 ·
Installed my Dice Silverline last weekend

Thought I would offer some feedback on this. Overall it is great, and sound quality is excellent to my non-audiophile ears. Thanks Tom for the service before the sale in answering all my Qs.:thumbup:

Received the kit Friday night, installed Saturday morning. I went with the front radio mount harness. The toughest part was removing the center AC vents, but it was doable. Although my fingers are still sore from that...The second toughest part was working the radio harness connection up into the AC vent cavity. But, this was also doable (and a pretty rewarding DIY - it looks impressive with all the trim, vents, radio, and sunglass holder removed). I installed the ipod connector in the sunglass holder - the stealth is nice. (Tip - while you are at this, also install the male-male aux connector to the Dice module and route to where ever you want it...I also routed mine to the sunglass holder. That way it will be there if you ever need it and you won't have to tear everything apart again to install.)

I have left the trim off and the AC vents not snapped back in all the way while I test things out - just in case I need to get back at the module while I test this week. Dice immediately recognized my iPod (an iPod "mini") and started playing.

The sound quality is GREAT. So long FM transmitter. As with any new thing it takes some time to get familiar moving around the menu, etc. but I am getting the hang of it. The only thing I am still working out is how to keep the songs in shuffle mode.

I am seeking feedback on 2 items (Tom, can ya help a brother out...?).
1) Dip switches. The module shipped with all four in the off (up) position. I believe for the pre-Silverline modules it was recommended to leave them in this position for full Dice control and text. The SILVERLINE install instructions suggest something different: Of course the "Car" switches are both off still, but the iPod switches are to be configured "off" (switch 1) and "on" (switch 2) for locked (full Dice) mode. In other words, the four switches are configured OFF OFF OFF ON as you view them right to left. This is how I installed it, per the manual. Can you confirm this is right?
2) Shuffle: In the iPod I specify to shuffle songs. When I plug it in to the DICE connector all works well and the songs shuffle within a playlist. However, if I turn off the car and come back to it later (overnight, after workday, etc.) the DICE will start playing songs oranized alpha by album name even in the CD1 mode were it should be shuffling songs. When I unplug the iPod and check the shuffle setting I see it has been reset to shuffle-off. Any thoughts?

Good stuff so far.

#15 ·
Thought I would offer some feedback on this. Overall it is great, and sound quality is excellent to my non-audiophile ears. Thanks Tom for the service before the sale in answering all my Qs.:thumbup:

Received the kit Friday night, installed Saturday morning. I went with the front radio mount harness. The toughest part was removing the center AC vents, but it was doable. Although my fingers are still sore from that...The second toughest part was working the radio harness connection up into the AC vent cavity. But, this was also doable (and a pretty rewarding DIY - it looks impressive with all the trim, vents, radio, and sunglass holder removed). I installed the ipod connector in the sunglass holder - the stealth is nice. (Tip - while you are at this, also install the male-male aux connector to the Dice module and route to where ever you want it...I also routed mine to the sunglass holder. That way it will be there if you ever need it and you won't have to tear everything apart again to install.)

I have left the trim off and the AC vents not snapped back in all the way while I test things out - just in case I need to get back at the module while I test this week. Dice immediately recognized my iPod (an iPod "mini") and started playing.

The sound quality is GREAT. So long FM transmitter. As with any new thing it takes some time to get familiar moving around the menu, etc. but I am getting the hang of it. The only thing I am still working out is how to keep the songs in shuffle mode.

I am seeking feedback on 2 items (Tom, can ya help a brother out...?).
1) Dip switches. The module shipped with all four in the off (up) position. I believe for the pre-Silverline modules it was recommended to leave them in this position for full Dice control and text. The SILVERLINE install instructions suggest something different: Of course the "Car" switches are both off still, but the iPod switches are to be configured "off" (switch 1) and "on" (switch 2) for locked (full Dice) mode. In other words, the four switches are configured OFF OFF OFF ON as you view them right to left. This is how I installed it, per the manual. Can you confirm this is right?
2) Shuffle: In the iPod I specify to shuffle songs. When I plug it in to the DICE connector all works well and the songs shuffle within a playlist. However, if I turn off the car and come back to it later (overnight, after workday, etc.) the DICE will start playing songs oranized alpha by album name even in the CD1 mode were it should be shuffling songs. When I unplug the iPod and check the shuffle setting I see it has been reset to shuffle-off. Any thoughts?

Good stuff so far.
Thanks for the feedback, we would be glad to help.

1) the DIP switches are set to the OFF (up) position to utilize the DICE-specific features like text display and search by Artist/Album/Playlist. If desired, you have the option to set the switches to the ON position and have the iPod in "Simple iPod" mode, with only fast forward/rewind and next/previous track commands.

Most people will want to remain in DICE mode.

2) The iPod may be going into hibernation mode overnight, in which a quick disconnect/reconnect of the iPod will get things going smoothly again.

#21 ·
Hi,

I have the following problem with my iphone (v1.1.2) in in combination with the silverline kit: whenever I connect it, it will start playing music as it should, but the iphone is set on 'repeat 1'. I have to disable it by pressing a button on the iphone but then next time I connect it, it's on 'repeat 1' again. The DICE unit is in ipod mode. The iphone refused to show me the ipod controls when it was in DICE mode.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Costyn.

#36 ·
I have the following problem with my iphone (v1.1.2) in in combination with the silverline kit: whenever I connect it, it will start playing music as it should, but the iphone is set on 'repeat 1'. I have to disable it by pressing a button on the iphone but then next time I connect it, it's on 'repeat 1' again. The DICE unit is in ipod mode. The iphone refused to show me the ipod controls when it was in DICE mode.
Bump...

The phone has been upgraded to 1.1.3, but I'm still seeing the same behaviour. I can reproduce it in the following way:
1. connect the iphone
2. it comes with the message that this is not a compatible ipod/iphone accessory and if I would like to switch off the radio (gsm, wifi, bluetooth) to avoid interference. This is normal.
3. Start the car.
4. Select a track to play on the iphone
5. Switch on the headunit.
6. On the iphone I now see the 'shuffle' and 'repeat 1' icons light up.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Surely I'm not the only one using an iPhone on the DICE Silverline unit?

Cheers,

Costyn.

#22 ·
Shuffle play?

Is there anyway to turn on or off Shuffle mode from the Silverline? Some playlists I like to play in order, others I prefer to play in Shuffle mode. If the iPod is locked when attached, do you have to disconnect to change the shuffle settings?

#23 ·
Is there anyway to turn on or off Shuffle mode from the Silverline? Some playlists I like to play in order, others I prefer to play in Shuffle mode. If the iPod is locked when attached, do you have to disconnect to change the shuffle settings?
With SILVERLINE, the RND softbutton can turn shuffle on/off.

#26 ·
You cannot use a radio interface kit if equipped with DSP.

The difference in the kits is merely installation preference, features and audio quality is exactly the same between the radio and trunk interface kits.

#27 ·
Hi Tom,
I just got my new Silverline kit with trunk interface yesterday (got as replacement directly from DICE) and completed the install. This is my third exchange from my original DICE purchase (due to ticking noise problems), and was very very excited about this new Silverline, and very hopeful of finally getting pure noise-free music.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the ticking noises..., especially when the text scrolls across the display. Like I said, I have it connected at the trunk interface. Question: do you think if I instead connected at the radio head unit this problem would be solved?? would it help? I talked with Adam at DICE customer support and he said DICE does not make the radio interface connection cable for the 3-series, but that EAS does have a connector available. Can you help me out??

Would also appreciate a link on how to do the DIY install at the radio head unit too. Thanks so much in advance. BTW, really appreciate your customer service on this site, which is one of the best I've seen on the internet.

#28 ·
Hi Tom,
I just got my new Silverline kit with trunk interface yesterday (got as replacement directly from DICE) and completed the install. This is my third exchange from my original DICE purchase (due to ticking noise problems), and was very very excited about this new Silverline, and very hopeful of finally getting pure noise-free music.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the ticking noises..., especially when the text scrolls across the display. Like I said, I have it connected at the trunk interface. Question: do you think if I instead connected at the radio head unit this problem would be solved?? would it help? I talked with Adam at DICE customer support and he said DICE does not make the radio interface connection cable for the 3-series, but that EAS does have a connector available. Can you help me out??

Would also appreciate a link on how to do the DIY install at the radio head unit too. Thanks so much in advance. BTW, really appreciate your customer service on this site, which is one of the best I've seen on the internet.
Here's the radio interface Adam's referring to:

Radio Connect harness for DICE iPod Kit (R17)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=664

The shorter cable length would be optimal if your BMW is extra sensitive.

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.