BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

eas | Official DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit Q/A Thread

134K views 638 replies 108 participants last post by  Edgy36-39 
#1 ·
After months of testing, we would like to be the first to announce the new SILVERLINE iPod integration kit from DICE. This kit was engineered to take full advantage of the current iPods, as well as fully supporting previous models.

We hae been integrating iPods into BMWs since 2003 and are DICE Electronics' only authorized BMW/MINI Technology partner. Bringing our extensive knowlegde of BMW audio systems and through our continued long-term relationship, we keep support as our #1 priority and continue the tradition with our Q/A sessions.

New SILVERLINE features will include full Artist, Album and Playlist directories. the Clickwheel is no longer unlocked in earlier iPods in order to utilize these new features.

This thread will be for questions regarding the Dice SILVERLINE iPod integration kit for your BMW. Questions regarding features, compatibility, suggestions, installation questions and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

Connect your iPod to your vehicle's factory entertainment system and hear what your iPod should sound like in your BMW. CD-quality sound and controlled from your BMW's radio or steering wheel buttons without the need for messy adapters or FM transmitters. The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit always keeps your iPod integrated, charged and ready to go. The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit will also display text from your iPod onto your BMWs Radio/Navigation display allowing you to view Artist, Song Title and Album name while both hands are safe on the steering wheel.

Kit Configurations (Trunk vs Radio Interface)

The Trunk interface version of the DICE kit allows you to make the necessary connections at the CD Changer cables in the trunk area, and allows 15 feet of cable length to allow placement of your iPod anywhere in the vehicle you like.

The Radio interface version of the DICE kit is a favorite among professional installers. This kit allows a direct connection directly at the radio, eliminating a long cable from the CD changer connectors in the trunk. This also provide a shorter cable route, reducing the possibility of engine noise. The Radio interface kit is also choice for euro models that do not have CD Changer prewiring.

iPod connection (Docking Cable)

A clean factory looking installation is possible with our sleek iPod docking cable (included), allowing full connectivity for all iPods utilizing a dock connector - including the iPhone and iPod touch.

The DICE SILVERLINE iPod integration kit connects right to the cd changer connectors or radio connector (depending on configuration) already present in your BMW. The DICE SILVERLINE module transfers information between the iPod and radio through an included iPod-specific docking cable, as if it were an original BMW accessory.

New features of DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration kit include:

- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmiters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display on your factory radio or Navigation screen
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song with song listing
- Browse by Individual Playlist with Playlist Directory listing
- Browse by Individual Albums with Album Directory Listing
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for iPods through included dock connector

You can browse your iPod with the radio buttons without booting into separate modes. Using the integrated DIP switches allows you to revert from DICE and Simple UI mode, Allowing the iPod to remain in "iPod UI" allows for a basic operation of the iPod's Clickwheel and can be switched to Enhanced DICE mode at any time.

Browse through your iPod by Song, Artist or Album:

You now have the ability to browse through your iPod by Artist, Album or by Individual songs within a Playlists. Unlike other kits, you are permitted UNLIMITED PLaylists and to name them however you wish. Album and PLaylist directories are now supported with SILVERLINE.

Full Text Display on your Factory Radio or Navigation Display:

See your favorite song titles, album info and artist on your factory radio/navigation display with the SILVERLINE as if it were a factory BMW option.

AUX compatibility with user-adjustable Sound Output settings:

Connect any external audio device including: aftermarket satellite radio, CD/DVD players, non-Apple MP3 players and more! Bass, mid, treble and gain settings can be adjusted on the fly. These options allow for distortion-free audio input.

Selecting between audio from your iPod or AUX input is done with the press of a button on your radio.

- Volume Output (selectable 1-100)
- Bass (selectable 1-100)
- Midrange (selectable 1-100)
- Treble (selectable 1-100)

Charging Control:

Charging of your iPod while in play, never have a dead iPod again!

Compatible with previous and current-model iPods:

The SILVERLINE is compatible with all iPods that feature a dock connector, including the new Classic, 3rd Generation nano, iPod touch and iPhone.

Models Supported:

1996-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for e9X models)*
1997-2003 5-series, including M5
1999-2001 7 series
2004-2008 X3
2000-2006 X5
1996-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2008 Z4, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2000-2003 Z8

Compatible with the following iPod models:

iPod 3rd Generation 10/15/20/30/40GB
iPod 4th Generation 20/40 GB
iPod 5th Generation Video 30/60/80GB
iPod Classic 80/160 GB
iPod Color 20/60 GB
iPod Photo 30/40/60GB
iPod mini
iPod 1st Generation nano
iPod 2nd Generation nano
iPod 3rd Generation nano
iPod Touch
iPhone

Kits can be purchased through our website or this link as this thread will be used for general questions and support only:

eas | DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kits now available for BMW
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2916464

Kits are already shipping as of today.

Questions & comments are welcome in this thread, and thanks for your continued support over the years.

See less See more
#355 ·
Tom et al.
I have a problem that I have not seen mentioned here, I am sure I just have something set up incorrectly, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have a 2000 323i and I installed the HD DICE w/ IPOD. When the IPOD is playing it scrolls the song*artist*album* fine, however when I go to Disc 2 3 or 4 to browse by playlist, artist or album, it does not display the playlists, artist or album. For example. when i go to Disc 2, it just says Playlist 2-01. If I go to the next track, it changes to 2-02 and goes to the next playlist, but i Never see the playlist name. That makes it pretty difficult to navigate through the IPOD. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate their thoughts.

Bill

#356 ·
That's just the way the original DICE and HD DICE work, the Silverline added the ability to display Playlist/Artist/Album names while searching.

#359 ·
iPod in E39

Good afternoon Tom. At me car BMW 520i 2001 of release TV/Navi, is established by CD a changer on 6 disks; systems DSP are not present. I wish to buy from you an adapter for connection Ipod. What model of an adapter is necessary to me and you can send it to Ukraine? I send photos of sockets of a changer. I have sent photos of plugs to you on an e-mail.
Yours faithfully, Jury!

#369 ·
does anyone know the PROPER DIP switch settings for a
97 528
NON DSP
with 4:3 NAV Screen

any help is appreciated,
thanks!
All DIP switches should be in the UP position.

#367 · (Edited)
I just tried to install Dice Silverline in the E39. I assume I connect everything correctly (disconnect battery, disconnect Business CD harness and connect into Dice harness, from DICE harness end, plug into Business CD, attached smaller plug into Dice and then the iPod interface into Dice). No sound, iPod display doesn't show Dice icon, my 6 cd changer is still reading, and Business CD shows No Disc.

The car has the OEM 6 cd changer in trunk along with a Soundgate Adapter installed 3 years ago. I unplugged cd changer and still nothing. Could there be a conflict with Soundgate Adapter? All dip switches are up. Thanks for any help and info. I've already emailed Tom.

#370 ·
I just tried to install Dice Silverline in the E39. I assume I connect everything correctly (disconnect battery, disconnect Business CD harness and connect into Dice harness, from DICE harness end, plug into Business CD, attached smaller plug into Dice and then the iPod interface into Dice). No sound, iPod display doesn't show Dice icon, my 6 cd changer is still reading, and Business CD shows No Disc.

The car has the OEM 6 cd changer in trunk along with a Soundgate Adapter installed 3 years ago. I unplugged cd changer and still nothing. Could there be a conflict with Soundgate Adapter? All dip switches are up. Thanks for any help and info. I've already emailed Tom.
I'm assuming you have the Alpine SG adapter - this needs to be removed in order for the DICE to do its job. :)

#368 ·
What was the Soundgate Adapter for if you had an OEM CD Changer? From your Sig it was an iPod interface, in which case you will have to remove it.

#371 ·
Ok, I've unplugged the SoundGate Adapter and you would think it should work........nothing. Any other suggestions? I'm gonna take it back to the shop next week if all fails......

#373 ·
Thank you, Tom for your support and advice. DICE is working fine now after removal of Soundgate adapter and CD changer. :thumbup:

#376 ·
I have a 2001 E39 with a Business Cassettehead unit and 6-CD changer.

I have installed the Silverline kit exactly as per the instructions but I cannot get it to work. I have tried changing the DIP switch to the older model setting but still no joy.

Have tried resetting both the ipod and the unit, unplugging the three pin connector as suggested. My ipod firmware (Nano) us up to date.

What happens is it displays on my Ipod that DICE is connected and locks out the ipod, but when I go through the procedure to get text, I just get the normal CD-01 etc etc. Sometimes music will play from the ipod through the system randomly but it cannot be altered by the head unit and no text displays.

Help!!

#377 ·
I have a 2001 E39 with a Business Cassettehead unit and 6-CD changer.

I have installed the Silverline kit exactly as per the instructions but I cannot get it to work. I have tried changing the DIP switch to the older model setting but still no joy.

Have tried resetting both the ipod and the unit, unplugging the three pin connector as suggested. My ipod firmware (Nano) us up to date.

What happens is it displays on my Ipod that DICE is connected and locks out the ipod, but when I go through the procedure to get text, I just get the normal CD-01 etc etc. Sometimes music will play from the ipod through the system randomly but it cannot be altered by the head unit and no text displays.

Help!!
You should be using the CD6/TRACK4 command for text, then return to CD1 to exit text mode.

#382 ·
The DICE kits will not charge the new breed of iPods (including 3G iPhone, 2G Touch) at the current moment, a new cable is in production to allow for this.

The message can be ignored, it will go away after +7 seconds.

#385 ·
Any thoughts on that radio Tom?

It seems to now play and control the music but without displaying any text. The ipod is still wired in the trunk at this stage and the ipod connector wire is not very long at all - certainly not long enough to get to the front of the car, but the DICE harness leads are very long. Not sure waht this means and whether it has anything to do with the problem?

#386 ·
Any thoughts on that radio Tom?

It seems to now play and control the music but without displaying any text. The ipod is still wired in the trunk at this stage and the ipod connector wire is not very long at all - certainly not long enough to get to the front of the car, but the DICE harness leads are very long. Not sure waht this means and whether it has anything to do with the problem?
Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately - the radio you have pictured is not one that is capable of text display. I'm not sure if it is related to either the cassette or MID unit (or both units) as both are different from those that are capable of displaying text.

#389 ·
Tom

I have a 1989 BMW (E34) 525i, which I am installing an Alpine C43 (Cassette) Business Radio manufactured in 1999. This unit has I-Bus control for the cd changer. I am interested in one of your Dice Silversling IPod adapters (Radio Control), with possibly also HD Radio. Will the your unit work with the C43 (As opposed to the CD43)? Will I be able to control the IPod from the head unit and the IPod also. Will the test display also work on the head unit?

#390 ·
You will need a radio interface harness for the HD DICE - we do not have this specific configuration listed on the site since you have a unique combination.

Since you are local (we are in Santa Ana, about 1 mile from Crevier BMW) feel free to stop by or give me a call and I'll get you set up.

#395 ·
Text Scrolling on MID

I have a new DICE Silverline installed on my 2000 540i with DSP. So far, everything seems to work fine, expect for trouble with the text scrolling on the MID.

Most of the time, I get the first 11 or 12 letters of the song title, and that's it. However, sometimes the display will actually scroll through the entire title, album, artist. I have only seen the scrolling a few times -- 3 of 15 trips -- and can't find a relationship to anything I did.

Can anyone tell me how to make it scroll when it's not?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in the past, I browsed through lots of posts without any luck.

Thanks, David

#396 ·
I have a new DICE Silverline installed on my 2000 540i with DSP. So far, everything seems to work fine, expect for trouble with the text scrolling on the MID.

Most of the time, I get the first 11 or 12 letters of the song title, and that's it. However, sometimes the display will actually scroll through the entire title, album, artist. I have only seen the scrolling a few times -- 3 of 15 trips -- and can't find a relationship to anything I did.

Can anyone tell me how to make it scroll when it's not?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in the past, I browsed through lots of posts without any luck.

Thanks, David
Does the text scroll when pointed towards the OBC?

#399 ·
#406 ·
I have an 03 540 with no DSP, no navi. I also have an older Dice model, probably got it 3 or 4 years ago. What is the difference between the Silverline model and the old model Dice?
The main enhanced features would be the following:

Browse by Artist with full Artist Directory listings
Browse by Album with full Album Directory listings
Browse by Playlist with full Playlist Directory listings
ID3 text display, showing Artist, Song title and Album while the song is in play

And of course, USB-compliant charging for the new iPod/iPhone lineup.

MartinV said:
Hi tom,

I bought mine a while back and I have the problem that the volume is extremely low, the volume is seems to be at max in the ipod and in the car yeah i can bearly hear it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
iPod volume does not matter since the signal being used is line out from the dock connector. Do you have another iPod to test with to see if the same results are experienced?

#407 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun
I have an 03 540 with no DSP, no navi. I also have an older Dice model, probably got it 3 or 4 years ago. What is the difference between the Silverline model and the old model Dice?

ID3 text display, showing Artist, Song title and Album while the song is in play

Can I just upgrade my older Dice unit to the new Silverline model? Or do I have to get the new Silverline model as a whole new unit?

#408 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun

Can I just upgrade my older Dice unit to the new Silverline model? Or do I have to get the new Silverline model as a whole new unit?
The SILVERLINE added the features listed above. In your case it would be best to order a new kit in order ot take advantage of the new features and USB charging.

#412 ·
DICE and E46

Tom,
Yesterday I order a DICE Silverline radio mount unit from eas. While waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to prepare myself for the installation. I hope you or someone in this forum can give me some tips or pointers. My 1999 328i has a BMW Business unit (tapedeck) and BMW dealer installed 6-disc CD changer in the truck. I have an older Ipod (10 GB). I understand that there are some options depending on what the features I want to have. I like all the new features of the DICE Silverline, but I am concern it may drain the battery of my BMW if I don't disconnect it after I turn my car off. Please give me DIY instruction (with pictures) for E46 (Business unit with tapedeck, and CD changer). Thanks, Kim

#413 ·
Tom,
Yesterday I order a DICE Silverline radio mount unit from eas. While waiting for it to arrive, I am trying to prepare myself for the installation. I hope you or someone in this forum can give me some tips or pointers. My 1999 328i has a BMW Business unit (tapedeck) and BMW dealer installed 6-disc CD changer in the truck. I have an older Ipod (10 GB). I understand that there are some options depending on what the features I want to have. I like all the new features of the DICE Silverline, but I am concern it may drain the battery of my BMW if I don't disconnect it after I turn my car off. Please give me DIY instruction (with pictures) for E46 (Business unit with tapedeck, and CD changer). Thanks, Kim
The DICE goes into a sleep mode and stop charging the iPod to prevent any chance of battery drainage when the vehicle is shut down.

Feel free to email me directly and I would be happy to provide instructions in advance.

#417 ·
Hi Tom,

I received the DICE Silverline iPod integration kit for Christmas and have set about installing it today. I found the on-line installation guides very useful and feel confident I correctly installed the equipment. However, when I turn on the ignition and connect my iPhone 3G a number of faults occur which I would appreciate your help in resolving:

- When connected my iPhone 3G says the 'accessory' is not recognised and it offers to go into airplane mode to improve audio quality. Should I say yes or no?
- The iPhone 3G does not show a power source connected which is what I would expect to happen. No charge is being taken. I believe I have the newest version of the Silverline (only bought 2 weeks ago apparently!) so it should provide USB charging?
- I can now only cycle through 'Radio' and 'Tape' with the mode selector switch on my Business Head Unit whereas I had the option of CD before this installation. The 'troubleshooting' section in the included instructions says this could be incorrect dip switch settings - Which do I need?

My 2000 328ci has a BMW Business head unit (tapedeck) and BMW dealer installed Sony 6-disc CD changer in the trunk. Obviously this has been disconnected to get the appropriate wire harnesses for the DICE Silverline. I have a separate Bluetooth hands-free set-up which works over the car's speaker system and this seems to be unaffected by the introduction of the DICE Silverline. All I am looking for as a minimum is CD-Quality sound from my iPhone 3G over the car's stereo but would obviously like the text-facility supposedly offered by this equipment if possible. I don't want to 'lock-out' my iPhone 3G from being able to make calls over my Bluetooth hands-free set-up either.

Any advice?

I look forward to your reply.

#418 ·
- When connected my iPhone 3G says the 'accessory' is not recognised and it offers to go into airplane mode to improve audio quality. Should I say yes or no?
Either select "no" or ignore it - the message will go away on its own after 7 seconds.

- The iPhone 3G does not show a power source connected which is what I would expect to happen. No charge is being taken. I believe I have the newest version of the Silverline (only bought 2 weeks ago apparently!) so it should provide USB charging?
PM me with your full name and I can look up your details. We started shipping USB-compliant kits approximately the 1st week of Dec.

- I can now only cycle through 'Radio' and 'Tape' with the mode selector switch on my Business Head Unit whereas I had the option of CD before this installation. The 'troubleshooting' section in the included instructions says this could be incorrect dip switch settings - Which do I need?
Check the DIP switches - these should be in the DOWN UP UP UP positions.

My 2000 328ci has a BMW Business head unit (tapedeck) and BMW dealer installed Sony 6-disc CD changer in the trunk. Obviously this has been disconnected to get the appropriate wire harnesses for the DICE Silverline. I have a separate Bluetooth hands-free set-up which works over the car's speaker system and this seems to be unaffected by the introduction of the DICE Silverline. All I am looking for as a minimum is CD-Quality sound from my iPhone 3G over the car's stereo but would obviously like the text-facility supposedly offered by this equipment if possible. I don't want to 'lock-out' my iPhone 3G from being able to make calls over my Bluetooth hands-free set-up either.

Any advice?
Is the Bluetooth kit OEM BMW or aftermarket?

#423 ·
Browsing Albums within an Aritist?

Hello,

Hopefully this is an easy question to answer. When browsing via the Artist view on the radio, is it then possible to cycle through the albums within that artist?

Say for example I scroll down to Nirvana....is there an easy way to then browse through all the albums I have under Nirvana, or do I have to literally skip through every individual song across all albums? Thanks in advance

#424 ·
Hello,

Hopefully this is an easy question to answer. When browsing via the Artist view on the radio, is it then possible to cycle through the albums within that artist?

Say for example I scroll down to Nirvana....is there an easy way to then browse through all the albums I have under Nirvana, or do I have to literally skip through every individual song across all albums? Thanks in advance
It would either be browse by artist or browse by album - there is no filtering ability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.