BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

need help with E38 radio problem

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BMWFatherFigure 
#1 ·
I am having issues with the power supply to my radio. The radio doesn't turn on. i have replaced the radio unit and still the same problem i also replaced the display unit and still the same problem. now my front door looks are not working also. i was told it could be the PT module. Has anyone come across this problem? Does anyone know where the pt module is located on a 1996 740il ?

#2 ·
Ok friend a couple days ago I had the same problem with my radio ,yes you have to go first radio module is in left side in the trunk,but you have to pull out 3 parts first gps cd player ,black one gps module, localizator ,etc; so radio module is hidden behi a carpet ,so this part has a fuse ;check it & switch it.good luck.If you need more inf let me know.:thumbup:

#3 ·
radio

Ok friend a couple days ago I had the same problem with my radio ,yes you have to go first radio module is in left side in the trunk,but you have to pull out 3 parts first gps cd player ,black one gps module, localizator ,etc; so radio module is hidden behi a carpet ,so this part has a fuse ;check it & switch it.good luck.If you need more inf let me know.:thumbup:

#4 ·
I know this sounds unrelated but i read about it on another E38 site. Remove the ign switch and wash it (a lot) in a bath of switch cleaner until you are bored - then do it for twice as long again. Then apply switch lube and re-install. Should make it all work again.
PS The diagnostics will probably tell you to check/change a relay in the boot - not going to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.