BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M coupe differential removal question...

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mike S 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of removing my differential and I've run into only one problem: the axles. On a '00 M coupe, does anyone know if you can remove them from the differential without removing all the "outboard" equipment (brake rotor, hub, etc)? I've loosened them enough that they no longer engage the differential but I doubt that's enough clearance to remove the diff housing.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

#2 ·
Yes, they get stuck sometimes, but they definitely come free of the output flanges without disturbing the outboard fastenings.

A slight, strategically place bump should free them once you have the six bolts (per side) removed.

#3 ·
Thanks Randy, I figured it out...

I haven't worked with BMW axles before and I was only familiar with a one piece axle from the splines that engage the differential to the outboard hub. I wasn't separating the axle from the flange to the differential output. When I gently pried those apart everything fell into place - or rather, out of place.

Now I'm off to the UPS store to send the LSD carrier to Metric Mechanic for a re-ramp / rebuild.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.