BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335i going into " limp mode"

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AZ-BMW 
#1 · (Edited)
My 335i coupe 6MT sport (build 8/2006) has 28,000 miles on it. For the past 10 days it has been going into "reduced power mode" for no obvious reason. The event happens about once daily and is temporarily cured by simply shutting the engine off and restarting. I took it to the dealership where they kept the car for 10 days waiting to get a fix for the problem from BMWNA. Finally, they replaced the charge air pressure sensor, drove the car for about 40 miles and delivered it back to me with a clean bill of health. Two hours and twenty miles later, the car went into limp mode again. I returned the car to the dealer. The seviceman told me to expect a long delay until they figure it out.
By the way, I did not experience any of the symptoms of the dreaded fuel pump problem and the car never overheated (oil temp around 240 ; my car has the oil cooler since it has a manual transmission). I do tend to drive in a spirited manner; however, the limp status usually occurs while stuck in traffic running in low gears.

Any ideas or experiences?

#3 ·
It could be a problem with an emissions sensor. If the sensor reports an unusually high proportion of certain compounds, the engine management system has the option of cutting fuel delivery, which would result in a power loss. However, the power loss associated with such an occurence would be pretty significant - to the point where the vehicle would struggle to climb up a somewhat-steep hill. An emissions sensor problem, though, should be identifiable relatively quickly; in much fewer than ten days, unless of course the onboard diagnostics system is faulty.

Just a guess. Good luck. And, as the owner of a car that has ocassionally been out of commission for a week or so, I hope they at least gave you a fun courtesy car to drive around in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.