BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2006 330i steering (problem?)

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  roadkillrob 
#1 ·
hello everyone,
i just joined this forum recently cause i bougt my very first bmw last month! i upgraded from a '99 corolla, and the experience is phenomenally different. however, i must not be used to the steering, because it feels very heavy (tight?) and uses a lot more effort to steer or stay straight. i don't know if there's a problem with my car, or if it's supposed to be like this, but sometimes when i slow down, it seems that the steering wheel will turn a little bit on it's own. could it be that the car is sensitive to the road or something? just wanted to get some input before i take it to the dealership. i don't want to look foolish if it's supposed to be like this. also, where do i look up information on known issues for my car (2006 330i)? thanks all in advance.

#2 ·
The steering is a little heavier than most cars and I find that to be a good thing. I feel that I have more control of the car in a way. About the car steering on it's own... nope that it's definitely not normal. Maybe your tires just need an alignment. Make sure you get it checked out

#3 ·
Yes, the BMW is going to be a bit more sensitive to the road as its got wider, low profile, run flat tires that tend to track a bit on uneven surfaces. Steering will also feel heavier if tires are under-inflated. Personally I like the heavier feel of the BMW (except while parking). It just feels so solid and corners like its on rails. I recently test drove Audi A3s and A4s and found their steering to be too light, even when it stiffened up a bit at speed. The Audi steering was vague, lacked feedback and felt disconnected from the road. I noticed the difference as soon as I got back in my BMW. Don't worry, you'll soon get used to the different feel of a BMW compared to a Japanese (or American) car and hopefully you'll grow to love it!

#4 ·
the steering... feels very heavy (tight?)
Quite normal - BMW steering-wheels are generally heavier than most other manufacturers. The same is true of some other brands, such as Porsche.

uses a lot more effort to steer or stay straight
Okay - it should require more effort than a Corolla to steer. But it should not require more effort to stay straight. While the front wheels will be restless over undulating road surfaces, on a flat road, the wheel should have a clear center, which it should maintain without effort.

sometimes when i slow down, it seems that the steering wheel will turn a little bit on it's own
This is either (1) a steering-alignment issue or (2) a slightly warped front brake pad.

#5 ·
thanks for everyone's speedy input. the effort i need to spend to keep the car straight seems to be caused by the sensitivity to the roads. when the road is bumpy, the tires move, and i have to steer back the opposite direction... does this make sense?
and my concern is that the "auto-steering" doesn't happen all the time. i figured if it was an alignment problem, it would occur more often or all the time? (as u guys can tell, i'm not very good with cars.) i guess i'll take it in to the dealership for them to look at; should be free since it's still under warranty. thanks again everyone for the responses.

#6 ·
i don't know if there's a problem with my car, or if it's supposed to be like this, but sometimes when i slow down, it seems that the steering wheel will turn a little bit on it's own. could it be that the car is sensitive to the road or something?
Are you referring to slight pull when you let off the gas pedal - or does it happen when you apply the brakes?

If former, then no worries. All cars with longitudinally mounted engines (rwd) experience this to some extent as a result of the inherent gyroscopic effect.

If it is the latter (car pulls when you touch the brake pedal), then have it checked. It may be due to uneven pad/rotor wear, or improper pads/rotors brake-in.

And yes, the hi-perf summer tires our cars come with are very sensitive to the road surface imperfections and tramline easily, which on its own requires constant input from the driver.

#10 ·
Check what brand of tires are on the car and how many miles on the car?

If you have B-Stones, you may have the bad ones that were recalled because they su**ed.

#11 ·
You just used to your corolla which steerings like it is electric - you will learn to love the way a BMW steers and after a while driving a Japanese car you will wonder what is wrong with the steering!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.