BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 electrics

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  QSilver7 
#1 ·
Hellow and Merry Christmas to all,
I have had a real fun time with my X5 recently, the steering wheel controls, horn, DSC, Transmision fail safe program comes on, Down hill desent, wipers, radio, windscreen washers, passenger seat weight sensor(chime), interior lights, stoped working. They do come on at there own will for a short time.
After some studying of related electrical diagrams I have found there is no power to my fuse No 7,8,or 9 which are responsible for thoes functions. These fuses are powered by the ignition key, which Fuse 3 is responsible for, I have power at Fuse 3.
I'm thinking possibly a bad conection in steering column or worn ignition switch.
Wish me luck ;)

#2 · (Edited)
Ignition switch problems are quite common and can cause all sorts of odd behavior. I had a dim airbag light when my switch was failing. Some have removed the switch and cleaned it with good results but I choose to have it replaced by my indy. I bought the switch from Bavauto.
GL.

#8 · (Edited)
I have the same problems and purchased a new ignition switch. However, when I installed it, my key would no longer work. What do I do? Thank you
What do you mean exactly by the bolded text in your quote above? By "not work"...does this mean the key won't go all the way into the cylinder? If so, read the info below about aligning the new ignition switch to match the old. Or do you mean the key no longer starts the vehicle? Or do you mean that none of the 3 features of the remote key work any longer (FZV/DWA/EWS)...central locking/anti-theft alarm siren/immobilizer?

Hopefully you still have your old ignition switch...I say that because...the old switch will give indication of how a part of the new switch should be positioned before installing it.

You're going to have to go back in and re-position the switch so that the key aligns with it when inserted.

In the pic below (from D Cecil's DIY procedure from e38.org)...you should be able to get a visual gist of what was mentioned above as to how both the old & new switch need to be aligned the same. And to anyone in the future that may need the procedure...here's a direct link to how to remove/replace the igntiion switch. This will apply to the e38/e39/e53 which has the exact or very similar steering column layout: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/244045

"The old part on the left, with the new part on the right. Use a small, flat-blade screwdriver to twist the center shaft of the new part to match the old part so that it will align properly when installed."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.