BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

License plate lights fall out

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Haschish 
#1 ·
Actually only one of two won't stay seated. I've tried bending the metal piece several times
but the light dislodges/dangles in a few miles. This was after replacing burned out bulbs and I was careful not to break or change the position of the metal arm that braces the light holder. The other one is having no problems remaining in position. I'm open to suggestions.

BTW I was advised the local police citations for dim license plate lighting is ~$150. Maybe they give breaks on the swing illumination? Rather not test that.

#4 ·
I used the side marker technique, sliding toward the license which frees the trailing edge.

I don't know what I altered doing it this way, didn't force anything but somehow resulted in the dangling light until I played a long time with the metal arm on the lamp. Hope yours goes smoother. My light bulbs came as a pair so I replaced both at the same time.

#6 ·
That took a scary amount of force to push down and pry out. I took someone's suggestion and used a screwdriver tip wrapped in electrical tape. I also opened the trunk lid to make it less likely to strike the bumper in case of a slip. Off to the auto parts store to buy a new bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.