BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Attn: 524d owners!

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  luigi524td 
#1 ·
First off, Do we have any 524d owners?

Second, can I get some impressions on it? Ownership, reliability, maintenance, driving? How does it do in the cold?

I love my bimmer, i miss having a diesel, and I can't afford a new 328d. Living in the US, that pretty much leaves the 84-85 524d.

I'd like it to be my daily driver and I'll use my 325xi and/or Subaru Outback as backup if I need to take it down for maintenance. I do roughly 700 miles a week so I think it's important to have a back-up vehicle but I would like to move toward parting ways with the Subaru.

Is this a reasonable expectation of a 30 year old 5-series?

#3 · (Edited)
My FIRST BMW was an '86 524TD - I still miss that car! Drove it forever and gave it away with 300K highway miles. Still have the original spare wheel and tire that were never mounted! I've toyed with picking up a '14 535dXdrive but have only had my '13 535xDrive for 10 months and still liking it. It's hard to tell if BMW is really committed to making it with a diesel car in the USA. And their pricing is (IMHO) out of wack!

So, IF you or anyone gets or has an 85-86 524TD and is interested in a "NEW" wheel / tire - my spare was always stored in a clean dry place and except for rolling it into my garage NEVER touched the ground!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.