BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Title/Track detail for CDs

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ron T 
#1 · (Edited)
I uploaded a few CDs to my recently delivered 535i. Unfortunately it did not pick up the CD names or song track names. I now see that I can go to options and manually rename the CD, but is there any way for me to add track information?

#3 ·
its very disapointing that new cds do not have track names. what gives?
I bet they do have track names and other info embedded. The car is probably not reading that info. Is anyone aware of any changes in protocol for embedded track info in newer CDs?

#4 ·
Most CD's have nothing but audio stored on them. A small few have something called CD Text, but these are few and far between. The pro nav names the CD's using a third party database called GraceNote (http://www.gracenote.com/products/global_media_database/).

I'm not 100% sure(asked in another thread) but I think the database is held locally on the HDD in the car. If this is the case, new CD's will not pick up their names unless the database is updated. Presumably the database either updates itself via GPRS or an update comes from BMW bundled in with their software updates. If anyone knows how this works please let us know!

#5 ·
Without track info, it makes this feature very lame. While we could manually rename the CD, having the display just say "track 1, track 2, etc." makes one less inclined to play stored CDs. I do like the iPod feature, however. I plug in my iPhone 4 and get to see all the stored music, as well as cover art for selected albums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.