BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Unable to open doors due to disconnected battery

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Bugsie 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I just finished read the thread, while sitting near my car, and was unable to open the doors.

The car was parked for 2 weeks so I disconnected the battery, just in case.

Today I arrived and couldn't open the doors. Connected myself to the forum and tried all the tips on a thread posted a while ago.

Then I remembered that I left the negative cable way down and try to reach it from under. I was able to link a cable between that cable and a (-) from a donor car. NOTHING.

What now???

Tips, advices. Appreciate all the help.

Best regards

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, you do not have a closed circuit. It has to be a circle. The positive in your car can now get OUT of your car to the next car THROUGH the negative, but cannot return to the positive on your car.

Charge does not travel both ways on one wire. Connect the positives.

Before that, just try the emergency door unlock procedure, but with the following difference. Try lifting the door handle WHILE you are turning the key and not before. See if that works. You may have to do that several times to get the right simultaneous combination working.

#5 ·
Hi all.

My car has the battery on the motor compartment and I simply disconnect the ground. I can reached it from under the car because the cable is hanging.

I tried that emergency procedure after reading a thread here but not working. I'll keep trying.

Again , I'll also try to find a hot connection from the battery, maybe the starter, and connect positive there and ground on the hanging cable.
Thanks Roberto. I also thought of that. Something was missing there and I couldn't get it right after a 8 hours flight.

I'll keep trying, thanks for the help.

Best regards

#11 ·
Hi all.

The trunk didn't open with the key.

Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by marker??

For the two procedures, trunk and marker, the ground cable can be disconnected???

Thanks for those tips. I have to keep those in mind for the next time.

Best regards

#12 ·
Sorry Bugs...euro cars don't have 'side markers'...they are little rectangular lights that the US cars have on their bumper trim...it's the white rectangle on the rear bumper in this pic:

YOUR bumper should have 'euro trim'...AKA-flat trim...no light...like this pic:

Now, I would wager that the harness for the rear side marker is present on your car...pop the trim off the bumper and look around for an unhooked light harness. The trick should work with no batt hooked up...all it does is feed the voltage through the system backwards so you can use the locks...it's the same thing as hooking a lead to the starter...but it's WAY easier to get to...

Good luck!

#14 ·
Hmmm..... I was thinking that the actuator for the trunk is electrically powered ??? Is this not correct?

#15 ·
Hi all. Thank you so much for all the inputs.

And I believe so. The trunk lock is electrically powered.

Also, my car comes with LSD, lowered suspension and a few more features. As far as I researched, there was some special editions here in Portugal with those..

I'll look for that harness

Best regards

#17 ·
Just noticed that Bentley has an emergency unlock procedure on pg. 515-2.
Has anyone tried this?

Due to a discharged battery, use the passenger side front door (additionally drivers side on pre 1990). Place key in lock and lift door handle while turning key fully in CW direction. Same to lock.

#19 ·
+1 with the trunk (boot) lock. It should have a rod attached to the lock at all times - mechanicial unlock. Check the owners hand book as to which way to turn the key. If the car did not come with one try e-bay. Worked for me.

#20 ·
Hi all.

Tried that "emergency opening" with no luck.

The key doesn't move on the lock neither way. I'll put that on the correction list. Stay tuned for a new thread after the compression test.

Here we have to "build" he car. For instance, mine as ZF box, LSD, lowered suspension, electric all around, two temperatures AC, pre-heating device, fabric seats...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.