BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My 335i is a LEMON and BMW won't do anything about it!!! HELP!!!

12K views 55 replies 35 participants last post by  thebmw 
#1 ·
:dunno::mad:

Hey everyone. My 335i is a total lemon... everything that could possibly go wrong with it has. I've had it repaired numerous times, mostly by Braman BMW here in Miami, but also by South Motors BMW. The service history is 29 pages long, it's been in the shop for somewhere around a month in total, and BMW corporate REFUSES to do ANYTHING! I made a formal request for a trade assist or something along those lines, I even sent a lawyer's letter. BMW wrote back with a formal response that they will do NOTHING to resolve this craziness. Even the service managers of Braman BMW, South Motors BMW, and BMW of Peabody Massachusetts where I bought the car are unable to get anything done.

Please help!!! Let me know your thoughts. I've attached links to videos here that I made of the problems... my favorite is the picture montage with cool music (Adam Sandler's My Piece of **** Car song) with all of the problems. Please look and let me know your thoughts. You can e-mail me at myBMWisaLemon@gmail.com

Thanks everyone!

Picture montage of everything that's wrong with my car with music
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5a26b1ee16bdb4986b21be4093fab7ace04e75f6e8ebb871

The montage above was better becuase it had really cool music... but here it is without the music on youtube

Broken navigation and voice activation

Sunroof that won't close

Crazy squeaky brakes

Messed up iPod adapter that won't work right

Movie of my car with the lemon magnets that I drive around with

See less See more
#3 ·
I had an X3 that was truly a lemon. It was in the service for more than two months and I had it for less than six. My purchasing dealer was less than cooperative; however, my servicing dealer worked a trade assist within two weeks of the last service issue. My car had major mechanical issues: Transmission; Fuel pump, et cetera. BMWNA was supportive from the get-go.

If you are having difficulty at Braman, contact an attorney who specializes in lemon law and see if your car truly qualifies under Florida laws. It will not cost you a penny. The process may take longer; however, you may get out of the car and into another vehicle with your money returned+.

As for the service managers at Braman, that is garbage. It was the service manager at the servicing dealer who worked with the front end to start the process. It was his call--the service manager told them the car wasn't safe and couldn't be put on the road. He started the ball rolling on the trade assist and got a nice food basket as thank you ;).

#11 ·
This story makes my guts roll. I have an M3 and would be wild if I were in your shoes.

#12 ·
That really sucks. Hope you get this resolved. So totally depressing to read about this.

#13 ·
You may not have to do anything further if the YouTube videos take off in the right direction, that kind of negative exposure won't help BMW at all. I would be shocked if they didn't call you soon. Good luck with it, I battled Audi many years ago, we won but it was a 5 year drag out that cost a fortune.

#14 · (Edited)
You may actually have a lemon, but you showed no evidence that you meet the definition of a lemon, despite the dramatization in your videos.
It varies from state to state, but the common definition, from what I recall, has nothing to do with how many problems you have.
It has to do with the dealer not being able to fix one problem in 3 attempts. And I think they have up to 1 month with each attempt before it can be declared a lemon.
As said before, check with a lemon lawyer from your state.

#15 ·
You may actually have a lemon, but you showed no evidence that you meet the definition of a lemon, despite the dramatization in your videos.
It varies from state to state, but the common definition, from what I recall, has nothing to do with how many problems you have.
It has to do with the dealer not being able to fix one problem in 3 attempts. And I think they have up to 1 month with each attempt before it can be declared a lemon.
As said before, check with a lemon lawyer from your state.
This is a critical first step. And it has to be the state where the initial retail delivery occurred. If you have moved out of the state where the initial retail delivery occurred, you will have to press the Lemon Law action in the state where the retail delivery occurred.

The general rule is 4 failed repair attempts for a given issue. There is a further ability to qualify for Lemon Law protection if the state law provides it - 30 days total time in the shop for all repairs. But that is up to the respective state law.

You also have to provide BMW NA with written notification of repair failures and request assistance from BMW NA in resolving the repair failures. No written notice means no ability to invoke the Lemon Law remedy (repurchase).

Net, net, it would seem to be time to consult a Lemon Law attorney in the state where the initial retail delivery occurred.

#17 ·
Interesting how MA defines total time in the shop as 15 business days (which is better than CA's 30 days total time in the shop...). See, this is why you have to go to the individual state law....

#22 ·
Braman BMW probably one of the worst if not the worst BMW dealership there is, you have a case and I'm sure BMW will counter offer once they receive your Lawyers papers. GL

#25 · (Edited)
It's not just BMW's:

Several months ago, I wondered out loud here the fact that Braman was a Porsche Premier dealer, yet managed to achieve an "F" from the Better Business Bureau at the same time.

Moral of the story: Braman is no longer listed as a Porsche Premier dealer.

#24 ·
I had a similar problem with my local Lexus dealer regarding some warranty problems. When the dealership wouldn't do anything, I filed for Mediation. I found the procedures in the Warranty Book that came with the Owner's Manual. Under mediation, they use a panel of disinterested members to decide your case. Under mediation, the verdict is binding on both the dealer and the car owner. Apparently it is a powerful tool and the dealership owner called me and solved the problem immediately as soon as he received notice that I had filed for mediation. I'm not sure if this is just a state tool and whether it applies to all cars sold nationally. Check your manual to see if it might apply. It worked for me.

#26 ·
sorry to hear that. hope it get resolved, ill keep an eye coz i do go to braman miami and south motors for service and yes they can be an ass when it comes to warranty repairs!!!! it has to be happening then and now for them to do anything what they cant see or hear they wont look nor fix it. good luck hope you find a good lawyer. oh why not try vista bmw in pembroke pines try your luck.

#27 ·
There is no relationship between the cost of the vehicle and reliability. (In fact, the most reliable vehicles generally cost between $17,000 and $25,000.)

It sucks that your BMW is having issues. Document everything, and call an attorney.

- Mike

#29 ·
OP, why have you gone this far but not filed for mediation or sought legal counsel to have the car lemoned? It sounds to me like you should have done this a long time ago given the problems you're experiencing. :dunno:

#33 ·
I don't mean to be unsympathetic (and as someone who did return a car for a refund under the MA lemon law, I do sympathize when appropriate), but we're talking about a 2007 car that the OP bought new.

I don't know of any state where a 2 to 3 year old car is covered, and certainly not here.

Note that all the problems seem to be electrically based. Something said for "get as few options with wires as you can".

FWIW,
George

#34 ·
This is a perfect reason for checking the specifics of the applicable Lemon Law. In CA, if the first failed repair attempt occurred within the first 18 months/18,000 miles, but the 4th failed repair attempt occurred outside of the 18 month/18,000 mile window, the clock stops at the first repair attempt. Other states may be different in their treatment, which is why it is time to see an attorney.

#35 ·
I compiled a list of issues I saw in the videos.

1. service engine soon light
  2. rearview mirror/digital compass issue?
  3. SOS call system malfunction iDrive message
  4. low coolant warning light
  5. low engine oil warning light
  6. low tire pressure warning light
  7. brake lamp message
  8. daytime running light message
  9. SOS warning light
  10. navigation DVD read error
  11. programmable memory key not available message
  12. navigation voice input problem with enter address
  13. sunroof won't close
  14. squeaky brakes
  15. ipod adapter cable issue?

#4 thru #6 are not problems per se--fluid and air top-offs. #7 and #8 are probably regular bulb replacements.

The check engine light, sunroof, and squeaky brakes are the biggies, and the navigation/entertainment stuff is relatively minor, IMO.

The squeaky brakes are a well known issue, and can definitely be silenced by the dealer(speaking from experience).

Sunroof, if it can't be repaired, can be replaced by the dealer pretty easily (it comes as an assembly).

Navigation issues, if not fixed by a firmware update, could also be dealt with component replacement, I'd think.

ipod adapter could be replaced, too, if the USB connector is somehow loose.

Are you having problems getting the dealer to fix these things under warranty?

#36 ·
I had a similar problem with my iPod adapter. My dealer fixed it on the first try and I have had no further problems with it - great sound and I love having access to all my music. My problem was caused by a console trim screw puncturing the iPod wiring harness and shorting it out. The tech replaced the wiring harness and made sure the console screws were not causing any problems. If you are still having problems with this, you might suggest they remove the console and check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.