BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Big difference between the 328 and the 335?

23K views 78 replies 32 participants last post by  sonitm 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at getting a 09 328xi coupe and I just wanted to know if there is a big difference (other than 0-60mph) in overall driving experience between the 328 and the 335. Right now I have an 02 Camry which has around 157 hp so I think anything will be fast in comparison. I can afford the 328 but the 335 I'd be a bit tight on money. So I'd just like to hear your thoughts.

#2 ·
The 335 has a lot more torque, so at-speed acceleration is also noticeably greater than that of the 328. The N54 in the '09 335s can also be easily tuned to get even more torque and horsepower. The turbos add power, complexity, and potential downstream maintenance costs.

I have an '09 335 and have never regretted spending the extra money. There's a ton of opinions on this. Strangely, they all seem to lean towards "I have the (enter model) and it's clearly superior to the other one!" :)

#4 ·
I'm looking at getting a 09 328xi coupe and I just wanted to know if there is a big difference (other than 0-60mph) in overall driving experience between the 328 and the 335. Right now I have an 02 Camry which has around 157 hp so I think anything will be fast in comparison. I can afford the 328 but the 335 I'd be a bit tight on money. So I'd just like to hear your thoughts.
The very thought is absurd. In truth, they are the same engine. One has valvetronic [328i] and the other turbos [335i].

Apples and oranges are, in the final analysis, both fruit.

Some say one if faster than the other, but that is often misinterpretation, depending on the driver and road conditions. Naked truth: Both vehicles sport exactly the same suspension and performance thereof.

One pays more for turbos. Do not be intimidated! Unless you wish to modify, you may not notice a difference. However, engine modification, on a 335i, will result in a much faster car at the cost of its warranty, invalidated.

We are interested in your decision - please post! And keep in mind that statistically, 328i is a more reliable machine.

#5 · (Edited)
Unless you wish to modify, you may not notice a difference.

:yikes:

I get whipped all the time by other cars in stoplight racing[when I have that 328 as a loaner], where you might need to anticipate a jerk 1 second ahead with the 335i you need to do it 10 seconds ahead in the 328i. Also all the silky smooth talk I never notice that, its jerky as hell taking the foot off the gas and reengaging the car.

It may not be a big difference with suspension, interior exc., but you will get your butt kicked A LOT in a 328.

Get an IS350 if you want reliability (and it'll still be faster)

The only thing I'd worry about is the OP said he'd already be stretched just getting into it, and could find himself at the dealer within a month needing VANOS, Turbos, exc. and may not have the funds to fix the car.

*fun thing about the 328i is you can put your foot to the floor and make the the engine noises and still not be going over the speed limit :rofl:

#7 ·
Avoid the 335. Coming from an '02 Camry, the 328i in any configuration is already a LOT more car than you are accustomed to. Yes, the driving experience is different from the 335i--but not in a way you will readily appreciate, yet. They are both an absolute blast, each in their own way.

You will be grinning ear-to-ear with the 328 and by not over-reaching, you will not cringe at every tiny sign of a mechanical malady. :thumbup:

#8 ·
I agree with Zeichen311, I recommended a BMW to some one in the same boat as you. They got a 2009 328xi na dare more than happy with it.

Just for the record I own an highly recommend 335i (not xi)

#9 · (Edited)
Personally after 54 years of driving up to & including a front engine dragster I think the "its to much car as compared to what you are used to" is just silly. Any new car will drive differently then the one you are driving now. You just drive it, get used to it then work up to its & your capabilities. Working up a new car is part of the fun of ownership especially the big smile you get after learning something new about the car.

Back to the OP's question. I have both turbo & non turbo 3 series, as Calwaterboy said it's the same basic engine. If you are not interested in 0-60 vs. a 335 you will be very happy with the 328. Its quick, agile & fun to drive. My 2004 has 100K+ miles on it with about $1000+ out of pocket in maintenance expense (I do my own work) not counting tires. Both the newer 3 series are still on the factory deal but nothing outside of oil changes etc. has been done to them even though the 335is has had a modified engine for over 12K miles.

Part of the enjoyment of a car is not worrying about the monthly bill so go with what you can afford & enjoy the ride.

#11 · (Edited)
Personally after 54 years of driving up to & including a front engine dragster I think the "its to much car as compared to what you are used to" is just silly.
Lol when we got our turbo s cayenne a guy at a local BBQ said the same thing cause he had the base S :rofl:

And here we go....
Here we go what? I openly admitted the 335i is a possible shop nightmare and gave my impressions of driving plenty of 328i's (I've logged at least 2k miles in them).

Just cause I dislike the car :rofl:

#10 ·
Nice trip over the holidays about 300 miles here in Germany, my E91 328XI cruises great around 100mph. :p The power band is so sweet at 4000 rpm. The way the car tracks and rides so quiet at that speed seems like you going 55mph. I don't need turbos with the extra HP most of the time :D

#13 ·
Everyone is going to throw numbers at you. But the truth is take them for a drive. Let yourself decide which one is better. If used both will have different options. Try it out for yourself.
Enjoy..

Take out an extended warranty with low deductible you will use it if you want to keep your car in good shape.

#15 ·
If the $$$ are tight, don't get the 335. You'll probably need a set of rear tires every year ... or less. :)

#26 · (Edited)

Try sitting in something like that for hours and having a guy fly down the side, or try to pass you on, an on ramp so he can move up two spots. You may not care for awhile but eventually day, after day, after day, you'll have enough (or I'll just be happy you like it so much and allow me or someone else to do it to you ) :).

I doubt very much if you don't venture out of NC you see much top 5 worst traffic in the country.

#27 · (Edited)
Spent over 25 years commuting from the Jersey Shore to Wall St (Fri/Mon in the summer were very interesting) in a big block 67 Corvette coupe that was a constant winner at Etown & have a fair idea what heavy traffic looks like. If you let the small s**t wind you up you are not going to have a happy life.

BTW don't confuse my lack of getting all whacked out over someone running the shoulder with a lack of competitiveness. You don't survive 25 years on the street being docile.

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
Yeah:) Over the years it had just about every displacement that Chevy made from 350ci up to a ZZ502 crate motor.

My favorite was a 406 Mighty Mouse that I built in the mid '70. It was pretty unique back then, almost never saw another & could pass it off as a 327, now GM is selling crate motor versions. Who wooda thunk?

Back when I was active I did all my own engine/trans building except for some machining operations. Also built cars from the frame up....was really into them at the time. :)

Mean while back to the OP's question - The 328 is about 2 seconds quicker 0-60 & 1/4 mile then a 4cyl Camry. That is something you will feel in the seat of your pants. You will definitely know you are in a quicker car. As for handling & braking no comparison can be made.

#33 ·
328i has a regular fuel pump while the 335i has a high pressure fuel pump (hpfp). For the most part there has been some issues with the hpfp but no clear indicators why these problems accrue. In either case run good gas and never put the pedal to the medal with less than a 1/2 trank

#37 ·
Drive with fun and joy. Especially it's your daily drive. People call them both (year) BMW 3 series. Acceleration , yeah turbo sound like a kick to me but we all have the same Speed Limit. I won't enjoy my turbo drive if I have to skip a meal a day or worry about credit. They both the Ultimate Driving machine.

P.S: Actually, in my case, I always wish I had bought an M6 instead of 650i. However, when I see all my maintenance, insurance, warranty bills and number of times my car stay in the dealer, I told myself that I made a right choice :).

#41 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for all your replies. They definitely helped me gain some insight. Now I have a bit of a dilemma. I have found an 08 335xi which has a negligible price difference from the 09 328xi ($300 less). The 08 335xi has approx. 35,000 miles more than the 09 328xi (but still relatively good at 60,000 miles) and I believe the warranty on the 08 has expired while the 09 still has approx. 10 months of warranty left.

The 335xi has the sports package, premium package, heated seats with memory, and xenon headlights. The 328xi has the navigation package, premium package, cold weather package, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite, iPod Connector, heated stearing wheel, Dakota Leather Upholstery, and Xenon headlights. So the 328xi is more packed and I really do like the benefit of all the electronics included with the 328 mentioned above.

But the 328xi has 300hp that's upgradeable and the sports package which is very attractive. I'm generally not a racer but I would definitely not mind being able to feel the power when I'm on a highway or just on occasion.

However maintenance costs of the 335 compared to the 328 sound unappealing. Based on this information, what, in your opinion, is the better option for me?

PS: As for the test drive - the only car nearby to where I live (300km) is the 328xi which I will be test driving on the weekend so I don't know if and when I will get the chance to test drive the 335. Also, as much as I wish to do a physical inspection and test drive of these cars, it's not possible as they are located in the United States which is quite the trip for me.

#43 · (Edited)
PS: As for the test drive - the only car nearby to where I live (300km) is the 328xi which I will be test driving on the weekend so I don't know if and when I will get the chance to test drive the 335. Also, as much as I wish to do a physical inspection and test drive of these cars, it's not possible as they are located in the United States which is quite the trip for me.
Thanks for that critical bit of information.

Do not buy a used BMW you cannot test-drive, inspect and/or have inspected by an independent mechanic you can trust (i.e., not affiliated with the seller). The last thing you want is to taint the joy of buying a new-to-you car with an eye-watering bill to repair some problem that could have been easily detected before purchase. This is not to say that most used BMWs need expensive repairs right away; however with a little care it is easy to avoid those that do.

#42 ·
I've driven standard-issue non-sport 328i AT service loaners and I didn't care for them. I've also had 335i AT and 535i AT loaners and didn't care for them, either. (My dealer usually "upgrades" me when they can't get the part or otherwise mess up.) They were definitely faster than the 328i. But with ATs were less responsive than my 6-speed.

My 328i "fits" me. And I'm in this for at least another 2 years -- which is the duration of the extended warranty.

I wouldn't "stretch" for a 335i particularly since BMWs in general are fairly maintenance intensive. Might even suggest an un-stretch and not even buy a 328i if finances are any sort of consideration. The E46 still has a lot going for it, and is also much less expensive.

Compared to Toyotas, Eurocars are in another universe when it comes to maintenance and repairs. My $0.02.

#44 · (Edited)
I know it's not a very good idea to buy a car I can't test drive/inspect but I am very very limited in choice if I strictly choose a BMW in my area and the costs are substantially higher (ie. $40,000 for an 09 328i sedan with 40,000 miles on it from a dealer. Everything will typically be like this near me). I would try to find a mechanic in the area that the BMW is being sold in and ask the dealer to take it in for an inspection after speaking with the mechanic. The seller also has a really good ebay rating which I realize isn't necessarily an indicator that the car will be trouble-free. I know it's a a potentially bad decision but I have very little options.

#47 ·
I know it's a a potentially bad decision but I have very little options.
You have several options. I came across a car which seemed pristine even after I went through a 3 page visual checklist when I first saw the car. The dealer uncovered some issues and me paying $240 at the dealer saved me nearly $800 overall.

Ebay offers inspection through a partner:
http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/inspection/

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/inspect-that-used-car-before-buying.html
http://www.aimmobileinspections.com/

Even AAA has a list of shops which will do an inspection for $90

#45 ·
Opening up a whole 'nother bag of worms, I still maintain after having driven both, that an AT 328xi is a very different animal than a 328i MT. If I owned an AT 328 it would spend its entire life in DS mode. In full auto mode, if one is accustomed to an MT, the AT is frightfully sluggish. This is not just my tainted perspective, but a fairly objective viewpoint coming from my non-enthusiast husband. Please bear in mind, I love my MT 328i. Not one to street race, it is more than adequate at getting itself up and going and 65-90 mph can happen so effortlessly it's sometimes a little scary. That being said, at the low end, if a Honda Odyssey is gunning for you, and you aren't poised to play, they will probably win. Manipulating the power band in the MT seems, at least to me, much easier. In my experience, even in DS mode, the 328 AT had to hunt and often chose economy over power.

Bottom line, if I were limited to an AT, I would probably opt for the 335 over the 328. If I had the MT as a variable the choice becomes a little fuzzier. As an everyday driver with plenty of power the MT 328i is very acceptable.

#46 ·
Very sound advice! :thumbup:

#56 · (Edited)
My experience on this forum is that most of the drivers here are pretty smart car people, and they've all weighed the pluses and minuses and made the purchase that most closely meets their needs/desires/comfort. So, the fact that the MT owners think a AT is sluggish, or the 335i owners think the 328i is relatively slow, or the 328i owners cringe an the HPFP problems is not surprising to me.

My personal opinion, as somebody who has mostly had Honda/Acura sedans as daily drivers, also frequently drove a E46, and has a ridiculously powerful M-B S550 as a second car (don't ask how this happened), is that all iterations of the E9x, including the heaviest AWD AT wagon are plenty powerful for everyday use. I don't think any of the vehicles are the least bit "sluggish" and feel that all are quite lively and a lot of fun. But, again, that is my take and I really think that all the other opinions on this issue are equally valid.

All that said, if you are a HP/Torque nut (which, btw, I totally respect) I do not think the N52 is going to be satisfying. My feeling with the 328i is that it is blast to drive and has more than enough acceleration for my needs (can't say I ever wanted more) but it is NOT a truly fast car and it is does not pin your butt in the seat like an 335i.

Also, although the AT in both the 335i and 328i is smooth and decent for everyday use, there is nothing more fun than a MT. And, IMO, the 3-series just feels happiest when you shift on your own.

I have a 328i with an AT, love it to death, and think that config is a great option for most owners.

Nothing but good options here.

#70 ·
Gee, reading some of these posts you'd think the 335 was made by Ferrari. Reality check, it's a 3 SERIES BMW!

On paper, a 335i is obviously a lot faster. Similarly, a 328 MT is faster than an AT. However, we don't drive on paper, in the real world, roads are wet and have corners, lots of them.

I doubt a 335i is going to perform any better than my 328xi given my commute has very few straight runs and lots of corners, plus where I live is wet or a good 3 months of the year.

Similarly, a 328 MT may feel faster due to the driver interaction, in reality, unless the driver is hitting the optimal shift points (which he probably isn't) it isn't any faster than an AT.

At the end of the day, for practical purposes, all these cars are going to have similar performance. They are all 3 series, i.e. entry level sport sedans, they are not performance cars by any stretch of the imagination, hell, much of the world uses them for taxi's!

Don't get me wrong, I love my car but see it for what it is, a nice daily driver. Driving ANY 3 series is no reason for arrogance, they're dime a dozen on the roads.

Ultimately, buy what you can afford and what offers the best value for money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.