BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335is or an M3

21K views 203 replies 40 participants last post by  bear-avhistory 
#1 ·
Hi Guys and Girls. This is my first post on this site. I'm an active member of the Porsche forum called Rennlist. I'm in the process of selling my 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo that I have spent a ton building a new motor for. Dyno'd at over 400 rwhp. Anyhow, I love the car but the platform is almost 30 years old and I want something newer.

I had an 07 335i sedan when they first came out and aside from the HPFP problem, it was a great car.

I'm looking at either an 11 or 12 335is or an 08 or 09 M3. They are similar in price. I'd get the DCT because it'll be my daily driver and a traditional manual in metro Atlanta traffic isn't a good choice.

I know a ton about both cars, driven both cars, love both cars. I know there is more potential in the 335is for modifications but the M3 is just a sick car.

I'd like peoples thoughts on what they would do.

Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
Where in Atl?

I think you can't go wrong with either. Have you driven a M3 DCT much?

#5 ·
I'm on the North side of the burbs. Roswell/Woodstock area. The M3 is sweet no doubt, but I like the modification potential of the 335is. I went and looked at a grey on blk 2012 335is today. It has 4,000 miles on it. I don't want to pay $50k plus tax for a used 335is. I don't mind a 20,000 mile car.

Do the 335is suffer from the HPFP issue that that regular 335's had?

#8 ·
No more, no less, afaik.

I'm in Vinings. A Town M Club will be at Caffiene and Octane this Sunday in N Fulton. Lots of M guys to talk to, and a great show. But sure, 335iS is great. But not an M3.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm looking at either an 11 or 12 335is or an 08 or 09 M3. They are similar in price. I'd get the DCT because it'll be my daily driver and a traditional manual in metro Atlanta traffic isn't a good choice.
You'll want some parts to make the 335is a contender. Just a few....$7500 min part cost....JB4 + Bavarian Technic gives you extensive control of car's parameters, much much more than most are aware exist. Meth for that special feeling of confidence.

In those respects N54 335i or 335is is a very engaging machine to personalize.

Major mod for the M is a $10k supercharger, but it elevates you to very rarified air, a place where 335i will never be.

What're your thoughts now?

#139 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Stock, M3 blows away 335is.

335 & 328 suspension is seriously lacking - there's where most of your mods will go. You'll feel a pronounced diff, M3 vs 335is, simply moving through dealer's parking lot.

335 & 328 were purposely designed to be inferior to M3, yet as it is the same car at its core, can be modded to M3 performance and then some w/part replacement. You want that.

#15 · (Edited)
If you want a "stop light derby winner", go with the 335is. If you want a car to DD and track, go with the M3, the engine and suspension is much better designed to handle that work and will do it all day. The N54 turbo needs to be cooled properly to stay effective. although they have done this in the 1M. The M3 has more space in the wheel arches for bigger tires too. From a pure visual perspective, the flared front and rear fenders and the "power dome" give it much stronger "sense of purpose" than the stock 335 body, even with the M-sport add-on bumper

Based on my experience of owning a 2008 M3 for 3.5 years and 73K miles, 20K is "just run in" - assuming the oil has been changed properly.

M3 mods have a bigger surcharge than 335(is) mods. Add the 1M to your list!

#24 ·
IAdd the 1M to your list!
And the 135is as well.

And as the previous owner of a 944 I would find a way to keep it, unless it's just becoming a serious maintenance or body cosmetic nightmare.

Best light weight handling car I've ever driven, even if woefully underpowered at the stock level (can't remember hp numbers offhand, but nowhere near the 400 you are pulling).

#19 ·
I was considering the same back in Sept., but ultimately went with the 335is. They were both new however, so the price of admission was a factor to me. Also, I was concerned about the mpgs and tire wear for the M. Nothing beats the higher reving V8, but as a DD, you have to be on it all the time to feel the power and at the expense of fuel. After the test drives I thought I would leave the M with a feeling of "I gotta get this," but I didn't. Overall, the 335is suited my needs better at this time.

#20 ·
Depends what your objectives are. If you want the best track day car get them M3. If you want the car that will show its tail lights to the other on the street get a 335IS & $1100 worth of parts. JB4 G5/ISO + FMIC. I drove both cars & felt for my DD use, street & occasional 1/4’ @ Rockingham & Fayetteville, the 335IS was the best package. Real life against a number of V8 & I6 M3’s has verified that I choose wisely.:) Be interesting to see a track day at VIR how much real advantage the M3 has in the hands of Average Joe non pro drivers who will not push much over 7-8/10ths.

Will take a close look at the M3 turbo coupes when they come out because it will most likely be a great dual purpose car.

#128 ·
Depends what your objectives are. If you want the best track day car get them M3. If you want the car that will show its tail lights to the other on the street get a 335IS & $1100 worth of parts. JB4 G5/ISO + FMIC. I drove both cars & felt for my DD use, street & occasional 1/4' @ Rockingham & Fayetteville, the 335IS was the best package. Real life against a number of V8 & I6 M3's has verified that I choose wisely.:) Be interesting to see a track day at VIR how much real advantage the M3 has in the hands of Average Joe non pro drivers who will not push much over 7-8/10ths.

Will take a close look at the M3 turbo coupes when they come out because it will most likely be a great dual purpose car.
I know the JB4 but what are G5/ISO + FMIC?
I have a e92 335i and Im planning on savinf for a tune at this time.
Can you guys give me an opinion on wether I should get JB4 or giac tuning?
Thanks

#21 ·
It won't be a track car, just my everyday daily driver. A use case can be made for both cars, no doubt about it. It'll just come down to my preference. Love the 335is and the potential, still scared of the HPFP issue the N54's had and longevity of a 335 with a JB4 and other mods I'm not sure if there is sufficient data yet, but I haven't looked. M3 is great, love the look and feel. It does feel much different than the 335is. I drove the is first then immediately drove the M3 after. Decisions, decisions.

#23 · (Edited)
We have both a '11 335is with DCT and an '11.5 M3 sedan with MT. I had an '08 M3 convertible with DCT for a month that I bought as a CPO, but I found out it had been in an accident and the dealer took it back due to non-disclosure.

Here in PA, we have many back country roads, hills and mountain roads for some fun driving.

I bought the 335is vert after the M3 because the lower end torque in the M3 with DCT struggled to climb the mountain road that we live on, and others like it without having the M Drive engaged. The 335is has much more usuable lower end torque.

The 335is feels more nimble and lighter to me when driving curvy roads and going through tight corners, plus the power band is right there for recovery through the turns. The M3 convertible was heavier in the front end and felt like it was plowing in tight corners.

The 335is has a great sounding exhaust. The M3's engine roar sounds excellent.

Comparing my 335is convertible with DCT to our M3 sedan with MT.

The MT takes care of most of the lower end torque difficiencies that I felt with the M3 with DCT (unless you always use the paddle shifters to drive normally in the M3 which would use more fuel).

The DCT in the 335is is fun. In the sport mode, it rev matches on downshifts and you get the burble and back fires on decel. Also in sport mode automatic, it nearly always picks the right gear depending on your driving circumstance.

The M3 sedan looks more masculine than the coupe or convertible, IMO. The flaired wheel wells and the hood scoop, the front fender side vents and the rear end mufflers and exhaust pipes. It's just a better looking car.

The M3 handles curves noticeably better than the 335is. Minimal body roll (compared to my 911 that has virtually none) and you always feel in control. I sometimes feel like the 335is is going to give away through curves.

The M3 sedan does not feel like it's plowing as much through the corners. I think the extra weight of the convertible hurt the handling of the M3.

During normal driving, the suspension on the M3 with the 3+ selections and the non run-flat tires is a much better setup. It can handle roads like a great daily driver or turn into a track monster. The 335is suspension is very good however, even with my 19" wheels and ultra low profile run flat tires. There are few times when the car feels rough, and the set-up feels kinda like the normal setting in the M3. The selectable M3 suspension just gives you more flexibility.

The M3 as a daily driver is excellent with the M Drive and selectable suspension. You can set it to normal and it is very tame. Set it to sport and it's just plain out fun. The super sport setting is pretty much for the track, IMO. It's just too aggressive for normal spirited street driving.

Both cars are very stable on the highway. There is no bump steer from either at normal settings.

The gas mileage on both is not great. I get an average of 17.5 in FL (I was averaging 14.2 in PA) and my son for normal work commuting in VA is actually getting over 18 MPG.

The cost for maintenenace for the M3 will be much more than the 335is. BMW feels this way too. The Platinum extended warranty for the 335is convertible was (from memory) about $2,800 and the M3 is about $4,800. I'll have to pull out my records for the actual numbers. But, items like brakes and etc. the dealer told me about double the cost to repair the M3 over the 335is.

At the time, I had a ZO6 and was looking for a spirited convertible to also drive for fun. I had first bought the used M3 which was actually less than I paid for my 335is, but I didn't want to pay about $80,000 for the new M3 convertible with similar options to my new 335is which was in the mid $60,000 range. There were not many deals around in the spring of '11 for either car.

If the car is your only car and you save money for maintenance down the road, then I would personally go with the M3 because it is so versatile and it is a really great car.

I am happy with the 335is and will keep it for many years. My wife also loves it and that's primarily why I got one with the DCT. If it was my only sports car, then I would have gone with the M3.

I have not had, nor have I heard of any problems with the HPFP on a 335is.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions because I'm sure there are items I forgot to list.

#28 ·
The 335is feels more nimble and lighter to me when driving curvy roads and going through tight corners, plus the power band is tight there for recovery through the turns. The M3 convertible was heavier in the front end and felt like it was plowing in tight corners.

The M3 handles curves noticeably better than the 335is. Minimal body roll (compared to my 911 that has virtually none) and you always feel in control. I sometimes feel like the 335is is going to give away through curves.
Tell ya what - after much wrenchin' on my suspension, I got neutral handling with no limit found yet. Not tracked!

Surprised the E93 M3 plowed - xtra weight's rearward. Maybe something goin' on there.

Stock 335i suspension grew intolerable for this li'l boy. Handles now; runs real fast. With 2.5° front camber, a supple performer that simply ran away from others on back roads.

Still. 911 would seem to have it beat. Or is it just me?

Emoticon Yellow Facial expression Smiley Smile

#26 ·
Making the same choice and going"IS" Difference is going brand new on both and not interested in paying a guzzle tax coupled with higher insurance and frequenting the pump besides next generation M will be turbo so if that's the issue..Remember the M3 comes out of the gate with NRF's..Me like.Also new means warranty & used M's do not(CPO included) Good luck and can't lose.

#39 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity, I went to BMW USA web site to look for a quick summary of the 335is, but didn't find a good quick overview of what makes an 'is' (and I could very well have missed it).

What does an is give you over a regular 335?

Personally, if you don't need an M car, the 335 (in whatever form) probably makes a better daily car...the mpg on an M makes for frequent fuel stops. I mean, not complaining about the cost, which is part and parcel of owning a V8, but sometimes you do wish for a larger fuel tank.

PS great thread, have learned a lot. Thanks especially to beden1 and calwaterboy, great posts.

#41 ·
Out of curiosity, I went to BMW USA web site to look for a quick summary of the 335is, but didn't find a good quick overview of what makes an 'is' (and I could very well have missed it).

What does an is give you over a regular 335?

Personally, if you don't need an M car, the 335 (in whatever form) probably makes a better daily car...the mpg on an M makes for frequent fuel stops. I mean, not complaining about the cost, which is part and parcel of owning a V8, but sometimes you do wish for a larger fuel tank.
You'll pay the premium for:

• DCT - excellent & available only in M3 & 335is.
  • Performance Exhaust - some claim unique config for 335is
  • Diff engine map + overboost
  • Add'l water cooling
  • N54 engine w/some enhancements for overboost

The major bennies. However....335is suspension same as 335i.

#42 · (Edited)
Adding more power to the DCT 335iS is easier and cheaper than the M3 DCT. You can always work on the 335iS suspension in making it better than the M3 stock or equivalent

As a DD the DCT 335iS would be more fun to drive because of the low end torque, and cheaper on gas.

Nothing is better than your own building something to your own liking which will have it own unique character cause you semi-built it

#47 ·
That is incorrect, all 335iS 2011-2013 have the N54. I promiss you that. Dont get caught up in their marketing word play

Pay attention to the discription

N54 335iS
3.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC), 24-valve inline turbocharged 320-horsepower 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology and Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing [Source]

N55 335i
3.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC), 24-valve inline turbocharged 300-horsepower 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology, Valvetronic, and Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing [Source]

As you can see the N55 comes with Valvetronics and the N54 does not

The marketing term TwinPower is used for the TwinTurbo charged N54 and the TwinScroll single turbo N55

#49 ·
M3.

After experiencing what it's capable of @ LRP, sitting next to the one and only Simon Kirkby (thanks to CaptainAudio), coupled with the nice growl of the naturally-aspirated V8, I wouldn't even think twice about it. Some say it's too much of a street car and not enough race car, but if you'll undertake a fiscally-irresponsible purchase, you might as well go all the way. The looks alone are worth it. Just promise us that you'll drive it like it's meant to be driven, no babying it and whining over piling the miles! :)

#50 ·
Did you ask Simon what his street car is?

CA

#55 ·
I asked him flat out to push the M3 to its limits and he said that that was it. Agree that a car should be purpose-built but if the OP needs 1 car as a DD that doubles up as a helluva fun on the track, the M3 is perfect, I suppose so is the 335is but after all, this thread asked for our opinion, which is all I provided.
Hope you're doing well! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.