BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Smarter Smart Key

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  wilt 
#1 ·
My E90 is in the shop, warranty work.

While it's there I have a shiny 2015 328xi. There are some things I like a lot about the car that I don't have, and some things I like less.

But, I did find the smarter smart key (convenience package?), well, convenient. It's not a hassle to take my key out of my pocket and hit the button, and to plug it into the car, but it was nice to not HAVE to do that.

Is this something I can add to my current car? Is it a parts purchase, or is it a, shoulda bought one with that already, sort of thing.

I also really liked the rear camera for parking. Mine has the nav system but no parking assist. That would be handy in NYC where my parking is 99% parallel, which I'm great at, but it was nice not having to crank my neck back and forth and rely on a slight tap to the guy behind or in front of me.

Anyway, are either of the above things I can add on?

As for things I like less, well, the nose. I dislike the newer models front-end design. I like the curves of my '11 much better than the '15. I'm I alone in this feeling? Also, I dislike the nav display on the newer models. I like it build down into my dash. Now, if that little tv would descend into the dash when off, THAT would be cool.

See less See more
#5 ·
For the E90, keyless start was called "Comfort Access" and included keyless entry and locking as well. The parking sensor system was called "Park Distance Control".

When originally ordered, CA cost $500 and PDC was about $350 for rear only and (IIRC) $750 for front and rear. After using them for a few years I consider both to be indispensable but I suspect they would be prohibitively expensive as add-ons.

You might get estimates from both a dealer and a competent independent shop.

Tom

#6 · (Edited)
My E90 is in the shop, warranty work.

While it's there I have a shiny 2015 328xi. There are some things I like a lot about the car that I don't have, and some things I like less.

But, I did find the smarter smart key (convenience package?), well, convenient. It's not a hassle to take my key out of my pocket and hit the button, and to plug it into the car, but it was nice to not HAVE to do that.

Is this something I can add to my current car? Is it a parts purchase, or is it a, shoulda bought one with that already, sort of thing.

I also really liked the rear camera for parking. Mine has the nav system but no parking assist. That would be handy in NYC where my parking is 99% parallel, which I'm great at, but it was nice not having to crank my neck back and forth and rely on a slight tap to the guy behind or in front of me.

Anyway, are either of the above things I can add on?

As for things I like less, well, the nose. I dislike the newer models front-end design. I like the curves of my '11 much better than the '15. I'm I alone in this feeling? Also, I dislike the nav display on the newer models. I like it build down into my dash. Now, if that little tv would descend into the dash when off, THAT would be cool.
Is there such a thing as "parking rage"? :mad: God I'm glad I don't live in a big city.

#8 · (Edited)
OP you need to find sense of your car's dimensions, without having to "tap" other peoples' cars.
Have you ever visited NYC? It's ridiculous for cars. All the locals have bumpers peppered with "tap" marks. Many folks use those bumper pads to protect their vehicles. Nuts!

#10 ·
, but it was nice not having to crank my neck back and forth and rely on a slight tap to the guy behind or in front of me.
Great. Another person who uses the Braille method of parking. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.