BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Should I Buy the Extended Warranty?

7K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  Go Navy 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2011 328i, 35,000 miles. Has a year left on the original factory warranty, and two years on some lesser coverage...can't remember the details. Dealer offers extended warranty which covers more stuff for longer....I think he quoted $2,000 but the quotes change as the car accumulates more miles, and eventually you can't buy such coverage at all.

#3 ·
I don't believe the majority would say buy it one year early for a 328i.

Your car should be one of the more trouble free non-turbo 3 Series ever made.

Insurance is for people who can't afford a repair ..... the house wins .... so if you can afford the car chances are you won't suddenly have over $1,000 per year in covered warranty repair bills in years 5 and 6.

#7 · (Edited)
Not the majority. The non-DIY majority.

Mechatronic sleeve, $800 dealer, $50 DIY. Water pump $1,350 dealer or Indy, $450 DIY. If you aren't a wrencher, then it can be very intimidating to an owner and take away from the ownership experience of the Ultimate Driving Machine. That said, I have never bought an extended warranty in my life but I have an AWESOME set of tools and I get to add to it for almost every BMW DIY I do. I might start a repair shop when I retire from my real job ;-)

You are correct about the house always wins.

#4 ·
I'm definitely not a do it yourself type. Part of the sales pitch for the extended warranty was that its total cost would be offset by the first brake job. I'm going to read the fine print carefully.

#5 ·
Now you are mixing a maintenance plan and a warranty. These are two different things and both cost > $2 - 2,500 or more.

The maintenance plan which covers brakes, brake fluid change, wiper blades, oil changes, etc is definitely a rip.

You can predict when brakes will be needed (the biggest covered item) and may well get a brake replacement before the OEM full maintenance plan of 4 yr 50k mikes runs out. Many do.
The other covered items are also predictable so you can just do the math and see that the dealer wins almost every time.

#6 ·
I just bought my car out of lease. I turned it back into the dealer, paid for the certification ($1300) and bought it back. I see it as $1300 for additional 2 year warranty. I also got a free detail and my BMW assist, roadside assistance is all covered. Not a bad deal really. Not sure it's possible for you to do that though.

I passed on the maint. plan (for now) because I have about 40k more miles left on back brakes and 47k more on front brakes (32k miles on the car). I more than likely won't go through a set of brakes in the next year, however I also might not go through them even in the next 2 years of the maint. plan. Although I would hope BMW would cover the brake job if I didn't use the maint. before the 6 years expired but not sure how good they are. To me, makes more sense just to pay for maint. as needed considering I only drive 10 to 12k miles a year.

#8 ·
Hey Navy,
I posted this information on a different thread sometime within the past week. You might find it useful...

You need to figure out how many of these you will be needing, based upon the mileage accumulated in the two years after your factory 4 years runs out...(all these prices were taken from my e46 service within the past 2 years, prices from SF Bay dealership invoices)

Inspection II $690
Belts replaced $270
Fuel filter $270
Spark plugs $430
Thermostat replaced $240
Water pump replaced $700
Radiator hoses replaced $130
Brake pads, rotors, sensors (front) $660

And these prices were just quoted to me for an E90 328i sedan

Air filter $120
Microfilter $135
Brake fluid flush $195
Oil + filter $80-170 (depending upon brand of synthetic oil)

#9 ·
well, i guess one factor in determining if either an extended warranty or extended maintenance plan is a move in your favor is researching whether there is a very good independent bmw shop to perform the repairs and/or maintenance if it would be needed as that would be more cost effective than bringing it to the dealer. My guess is that just as with appliances the extended warranties are designed statistically to be $wise in favor of the dealer. Plus you also have to worry about whether or not it covers what will actually break (the warranty and maintenace plans may have many exclusions). In my opinion if there's a good independent shop in your neighborhood then the odds are even more in your favor to pass on it. I'll give you an example, with my subaru i needed my timing belt done which also allows one to easily replace the water pump and pulleys and a do a coolant change at the same time. Dealer wants about $1600, some independent shops want $1200, I researched on a subaru internet forum and found a really excellent reviewed shop that had an ongoing special of $710 to do the whole package. Would an extended warranty have covered it? Probably not as considered routine maintenance. Would an extended maintenance plan have covered it? Maybe only the timing belt part, although it's considered false economy not to do the water pump and pulleys since your already in there but it's not part of the routine maintenance schedule. So they may have still dinged me for a portion of the job even with an extended maintenance plan. I like getting my hands a bit greasy and changing my own oil etc, and then often times I'll notice a problem cropping up in it's early stages since I'm under the car, like a broken rubber boot on the CV axle joint or a dry rotting rubber brake hose and then I'll bring the car to the independent shop and have the problem addressed so it's good to be proactive in examining the systems on the car yourself to "nip it in the bud" when issues are starting to rear their heads. Good luck with your beemer.

#10 ·
if you decide to buy an esc , ask is it listed or excluded component coverage ( excluded is better), is the mileage total or additive , is it oem or independent, deductible and does it cover " high-tech" electronics( nav etc) , seals and such . maintenance is usually the owners responsibility and a separate contract. if you buy a maint plan, read it carefully , a lot of them are really just lube and inspection. as it is still under factory covg, most warr. underwriters consider it new and it qualifies for new car covg. which tends to be more comprehensive and less expensive. the normal up-charge ( gen 150 or so ) is after 12 mo- 12k miles. shop around, but buy from a dealer, they have the service depts. btw, the term "bumper to bumper" is meaningless.

#13 ·
Yes, it is a tough decision. I just bought a 20K miles 2011-335i, and the warranty expires end-of-August. I don't foresee driving that many miles per year (I have another car), so I would guess 5-7K a year. Because of the low mileage, the BMW extended warranty seems a waste of money. For about $2500, I can get an outside warranty - surely not as complete, but covers the important things - which goes for another 5 years to a max of 50K miles, thus closer to my estimated use. Compared to the BMW extended warranty, it offers a much longer period and much miles. Do I really risk having a major repair during the first 50K miles? Tough decision.
As far as your decision, I was faced with something similar with a Lexus, and I waited until the last week to buy the extended warranty (+4 years and up to 75K miles, again 'my' needs). I did not see the need to buy it early, taking a risk on inflation, but leaving the option open in case I wanted to sell the car.....

#15 ·
My MY 2011 (in service date 5/10) is getting close to expiring this May. My car only has 28K on it and drive only about 7500 miles a year. I think I will just set aside a couple hundred bucks a month to get a "maintenance/repair fund" built up and just pay out of pocket any bills. But thinking with the low miles I put on the car, the last year of the e90 getting a lot of the bugs worked out I should be ok, but again one never knows but will have a little cash stashed away for the $500-$1000 repairs down the road.

To me with purchasing an extended warranty, there is a part of you that almost wishes something would break to justify your $2K+ money spent on the insurance. Just my .02

I rather just pay as I go along with repair items.

#19 ·
I have taken two BMWs (E30, E46) to 135k miles before selling. Cars were relatively trouble free until 100k, then the repair bills started. Spending about $2 per year over two years yielded a trouble free car to about 130k, then a vacuum leak formed and I decided to sell it rather than spend the money to fix...the buyer was content to work on the problem himself. The E46 took $2k at about 100k, another $4k after another year, and then more than $2k in the third year...I left some things unfixed because I was fed up with spending $8k in three years (and who knows what in year 4)!!!

So 80k of trouble free driving is NOT indicative of what happens at 100k miles and later.

#24 ·
I own a 2010 328i xdrive that I bought new in 2010. I have about 47k miles on it and the warranty will expire in 2 weeks.

The car has been trouble free, I guess most of the bugs were ironed out for the e90 non-turbo cars by the time I bought it, or I just got lucky.

At this rate, I would not be getting more free maintenance nor I expect anything to fail in the next 2 weeks.

I do not plan to buy the extended warranty which had been quoted by the dealer for $2495 - too much I thought.

I plan to drive the car a quite a bit less after the warranty expires but would definitely keep up the maintenance - Oil change, brake pads, transmission service (optional), tires, brake fluids, etc. I will keep the car until the first sign of costly repair or 6~7 years.

I also have a 09 Civic SI and I bought a 7 year 84k extended warranty and I plan to drive it for another couple of years. It costed me only $600 to buy that warranty, but then the car have been trouble free and I don't expect to use the EW in the next two years.

For the 328i, the reliability has been beyond my expectations and now that I have had 4 years of trouble free service, all thoughts about trading it in for a F30 has vanished.

my 0.02.

#25 ·
Go Navy, have you decided what to do yet?

I was reviewing all the paperwork from my CPO purchase, trying to correlate what Service said about oil, brakes, and a couple of other things for Next Service vs. what I was reading via dash status reports. While doing that I spent more time reading over the offered extra cost services via BMW. There are two Maintenance Upgrade Services, different from the CPO Warranty. Yet on bimmerfests posts folks only refer to a generic 'extended warranty'. Since you and I are in somewhat similar circumstances in time of purchase and miles and CPO status (and model and features!), I thought I would review what was offered to me (assuming similar to what you are considering)
  1. BMW Vehicle Service Contract: protects you on repairs, may include towing and rental car coverage, Nationwide, for 84 months/100k miles, $50 deductible
  2. BWM Maintenance Program: Maintenance service performed at scheduled intervals (same as first 4 years on new cars) for 2 years
  3. CPO Warranty: Additional 2 years warranty over new warranty, up to 100k miles.

(#1 + #2 + #3) makes your car like having a new car warranty with service included, for up to 6 years or 100k miles (rather than usual 4 years 50k miles). In view of the fact that we both own cars with about 30k and 3 years gone before we purchased, effectively these two give us 3 yr/70k miles protection against warranty failures AND service costs.

Now an analysis...
  • #3 CPO Warranty gave us 6yr/100k mile breakage of components (but not wear and tear items), but not labor.
  • #2 gives us Service as per new car for 3 years (with wear and tear items); cost of this extends us 2 years and bumps up mileage limit
  • #1 gives us Labor included on top of #3; cost of this extends us 3 years of repair protection.

So, for me, cost of #1 + #2 effectively amounts to about $1300 per year, for maintenance and repair services (while CPO covers parts).
Since most folks tell others to expect to budget $1000/year on BMW maintenance (beyond what in included with new cars) I figure this effectively $300/year for warranty component failure.
A few folks would say $2000 per year, so if you believe these folks, we have $700/year or more over what has been 'prepaid' by us.

Assuming we drive 15k/year (the national median), we can expect to run into the following costs:
  1. brake fluid flush in Yr4 and Yr6 of car history
  2. engine oil + filter at Yr4, Yr5, Yr6 of car history
  3. air filter change at Yr5, Yr 7 (every 2 oil changes)
  4. AC microfilter at Yr4, Yr5, Yr6 (same sched as oil service)
  5. Fr brakes at Yr3, Yr5 (about every 25-50k)
  6. Rear brakes at Yr6 (about every 50-60k)
  7. Spark plugs at 100k (about Yr8.5)
  8. Thermostat and water Pump about Yr5 or about 60k (based on BMW water pump historical)
(Not sure about intervals for belts and hoses, but these can be very costly when needed.)

On top of those things (not sure if they are included by most folks maintenance budget for annual costs) are new tires, alignments.

#29 ·
Actually, the information about the extended warranties (service contracts) is not correct.

In terms of extended warranties, BMW offers a couple flavors: power-train plus, gold and platinum. They offer them to all owners and they can be purchased easily with a key read up until the original factory warranty. Each option has a few year/milage combos up to 7yr/100k mi. There is a $50 deductible for all of them.

The CPO warranty IS exactly the 6yr/100kmi gold warranty, but only comes with a CPO car bought from a BMW dealership - requires inspection, the car brought up to CPO standards etc.

One other thing, I don't know who told you about the parts vs labor thing you have there, but they were wrong or trying to sell you something, both CPO and the other BMW extended warranties cover both parts and labor.

If you bought a CPO vehicle, you can now purchase the extras to make it 7/100 and or platinum (adding coverage for the radio, idrive and advanced electronics).

#26 ·
Wilt, I haven't decided yet what to do. But ,your analysis, which is great, seems like what was explained and offered to me the day I bought the car.

I'm going to go back to the dealership and sit down with the "finance" person, who was rattling off all the usual dreary "extras" at the time. I was not paying close attention because I knew I did not have to make a decision then and there, and just wanted to get behind the wheel and start enjoying the car!

I'll go back to the dealer this week and dig into the details, and then post in this thread. I'm sort of instinctively skeptical about everything, but I'm leaning towards buying something, but not sure what yet.

#27 · (Edited)
Hey Navy,
When you go back and talk to your dealer, an important detail which I neglected to get clarification about is What kinds of things are NOT covered items by the extended maintenance plan.
A report back from what you find out when you talk to your dealer would be beneficial...otherwise I'm going to need to call my Finance Mgr to get clarification from him, since the photocopy of his handwritten additions about covered items during his explanation didn't fully photocopy at the bottom. Someone on bimmerfest recently griped about how "I bought my 06 325i with 3 years warranty for $3000 " and then brought his car in for multiple issues, only to be told ONE of them was 'covered under warranty'...if his 'warranty' had been an 'extended service plan' would those other items have been covered?!

--wilt

#28 ·
Exactly. Take the list of the items posted above that have failed in the 50k-100k as well as the maintenance items and ask him to tell you for each one. Also see the post up the page where someone with an extended warranty has addressed BMW's response on several of these items.

If you are aren't going to hit 75k miles over the extension, I think it's an easy decision to forego the extension. Parts generally fail on mileage, not time.

#30 ·
Today I visited the dealer who sold me my CPO 2011 328i/Nav etc., and sat down with the Finance Manager, a nice lady. This car has 35,000 miles on it. I don't rack up a lot of miles annually; probably around 7500 at most. IF I put on 7500 miles a year, then in two years I'll hit 50,000 on the odometer. There's no way I'm going to hit 100,000 miles on this car in the near future. In fact I'd probably trade it on another CPO in 4 or 5 years or so, which has been my game plan all along.

All that is by way of background.

The CPO covers maintenance for one year or the next 15,000 miles; in my case, the one year is up Jan. 2015 and I will not rack up 15k miles in that time. Probably half that.

I have a "Certified Pre-Owned Protection Plan" which runs out to Jan. 16, 2017 or 100k miles (in other words, three more years, but clocking from the original in-service date, not the date I purchased (which was 2/1/14...not a big difference in my case). This does not cover maintenance, upkeep, suspension, body, interior, or accessories (with fine print under each heading). In other words, this appears to be covering under the hood and the power train, and probably wheel bearings, but not brakes unless (I guess) a component fails...not wear and tear.

I can buy a "BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade Agreement", which would essentially extend the CPO maintenance for another 24 months from Jan. 2015 or 100k miles, for $2,395 now. I have a blank copy of this Agreement, 1.5 pages in "aspirin bottle" font, which I will read and report on in another post.

There are actually four extended WARRANTY plans available, and all farmed out by BMW to a company called Zurich American Insurance Co., which is selected by BMW and therefor hopefully chosen for some sort of reliability so as not to offend BMW's customers (and probably kicking back some premium revenue to BMW).

Prices today, which I wouldn't buy today since I'm apparently covered by the Certified Pre-Owned Protection Plan to Jan. 2017 as a CPO, are:

Powertrain: $2,590
Standard: $3,115
Preferred: $3,399
Comprehensive: $3,800

I picked up a four and a half page matrix comparing what each of these four plans covers. This is too hard to summarize in a Forum post like this, but a glance shows that the big differences between, for instance, the Powertrain and Standard versions are that the latter covers (things that the Powertrain version doesn't) front/rear suspension, steering, brakes, heating/AC, alternator, elec. fuel pump, power door lock actuator, and some electrical stuff, like the starter motor and drive. Under the Standard plan, though, there are some little bits in each category not covered.

My present leaning is to not buy the maintenance program upgrade, which would extend my maintenance coverage from Jan. '15 to Jan. '17, although I guess I have until Dec. 2014 to change my mind.

I will probably buy the extended warranty, but will wait until Dec. 2016 for that, and will probably buy either the Powertrain or Standard version. By waiting, though, the prices and/or coverages could change. The current price delta between the Powertrain and Standard extended warranties seems worth it. I see the Powertrain coverage as analogous to catastrophic health insurance coverage which is one way to justify it.

(Note on one nitpicking detail: on the extended warranty matrix, the cylinder head is covered under all four plans but it bears a footnote "When damaged as a result of the failure of a covered internally lubricated part." Huh?)

Comments, thoughts, and reactions are strongly welcomed!

#31 ·
Interesting, so she didn't mention anything about CPO Wrap? This is the new extension on top of BMWs CPO warranty (just looked it up here: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...x&return=/Standard/Content/CPO/CPOWrapRD.aspx ). Basically you can buy an extra year on your CPO or add platinum coverage.

I find it odd that she was selling a third party insurance on a CPOed car (you didn't mention a term and starting from when so I can't comment on the price). Plus, you seem like the ideal audience for CPO wrap.

I also agree with you that the maintenance is not worth it. Brakes are the main item and the price of the plan is not much of a discount on BMW list prices. Plus BMW dealers offering "BMW value service" are undercutting themselves on those prices already. I mean just going to parts.com or getbmwparts.com will get you rotors for about $100 a piece and pads and sensors for about $100 (maybe just over). The price they use for the maintenance is $600-$700 per axle. That is a pretty hefty premium for labor on top of their own labor rates. That is assuming that they replace the rotors, as they won't if they don't absolutely have to, but if you buy outside maintenance they pretty much won't do brakes without rotors. Local dealers around here are offering value service oil changes for just over $90, as opposed to the $130ish std. The math really isn't that difficult here, power steering and brake flushes aren't that bad, and good independent svc places will probably do a better job at a fraction of the cost. IMO not worth it, and its not even close.

#32 ·
I didn't make the third party warranty thing clear. It apparently would run from when the existing CPO warranty expires, which in my case would begin the extended warranty Jan. 2017, so maybe there's no option to purchase it prior to then. Nevertheless, I'll clarify that point.

My notes indicate that the extended warranty is for 48 months (which would run from Jan. 2017 in my case), and I didn't ask about the mileage limit, but I assume it is 100k. I'll have to clarify that as well.

The term "CPO Wrap" never came up; just the Maintenance Program Upgrade which adds another 24 months to my CPO maintenance (which runs out Jan. 2015 in my case). I'll go back and ask about that also.

#33 ·
Here's what the BMW link says about the CPO Wrap:

"BMW Financial Services offers the comfort and security of BMW CPO Wrap to active CPO vehicles sold prior to January 1, 2014 by a BMW Center."

I purchased my CPO vehicle on Feb. 1, 2014, which evidently means I'm not welcome; please ring the bell at the servants' entrance. For the general interest, though, I've just emailed my dealer to ask if I'm eligible for a CPO Wrap.

#34 ·
pwr train warranties are pretty much advertising, they sound good on t.v , but don't cover much of what actually breaks. which is why almost all manufacturers have 100k pwrtrn on new cars, low risk. usually they cover the internally lubricated parts of the drive-train. the metal parts, touched by oil or transmission fluid. for instance, with most pwrtrn warr. if you have a xmission failure due to a seal/gasket , the control systems ( electronics) or maybe cooling , that failure would not be covered . really the key is excluded component and additive miles. with excluded component you have a list of what is not covered, rather than a long incomprehensible list of bits and parts. additive miles is + the current miles. to the best of my knowledge with the exception of fl. , prices are negotiable. on wraps, a lotta times you need to buy the upgrade at the time of purchase, but as long as you have 3 mos. and 3k left on the manf. warr. you should qualify to extend it. personally , i am a believer in warr. on certain stuff. hell , apple-care replaced my i-pad after it fell of my car's roof and was run over by several trucks ,and don't get me started on glasses and cell phones lol .

#37 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting the update, Navy. The fact I purchased on Dec 26, 2013 makes me someone who fell into the 'BMW wrap' thing. But none of my paperwork uses that term, so I bet it is simply a marketing term that was hung on the promo in order to move 2011 CPOs before the new year.

The corrections you made to my earlier interpretation is well appreciated, ddeliber. This stuff is all somewhat murky and you need to read the mouse type like, "does not cover failures in months without two full moons". I am glad you mentioned Platinum, because that term is indeed on my paperwork, "Coverage: Platinum Wrap" under the "BMW Vehicle Service Contract" listing. And the signature of the dealer is as agent of BMW NA, the holder of the contract.

Navy, you mentioned
Powertrain: $2,590
Standard: $3,115
Preferred: $3,399
Comprehensive: $3,800​

But I don't see such levels of differentiation on the paperwork provided to me. On one summary sheet which is copyright 2006 MenuVantage LLC,
BWM Vehicle Service Contract and BMW Maintenance Pgm are the two items in the far right column, as the only content in the 'Customer Choice' column.
Other columns are labeled 'Value', 'Premium' and 'Luxury'. What differentiates the other columns is the inclusion of things like Permaplate, Ding Shield, Tire & Wheel Protection, Phantom Footprints, LoJack Recover System, and Polystar Windshield Protection. Not additions in any columns for groups of mechanical or electronic or steering or AC, etc., and especially nothing which I would ever think even a second about purchasing!

The plan which was offered to you, Navy, seems to be thru a BMW-blessed third party, which is not the same as what was offered to me, which is clearly BMW NA contact and is transferrable with the car should I sell it prior to the full contract period.

I think one thing for anyone reading this thread to take away is that
even if you buy a CPO at a BMW dealer, terms of your optional coverage may be different than buying a different CPO at a different time from a different BMW dealer!
IOW, "Your Maintenance May Vary" which is why discussing this is so all over the map in terms of pricing vs. inclusion/exclusion!

This plan, offered for my CPO, reminds me of the plan which was offered to me when I ordered a 2001 E46 for delivery in Munich...same milage ceiling, same time period, same content covered under BMW NA contract.

#38 · (Edited)
So, Wilt, you didn't get a copy of the 4.5 page detailed matrix comparing the four available extended warranty plans from Zurich? The finance manager didn't pull it out until I asked for details, although she may have eventually got around to it. She had copies readily available. It is copyrighted "2012 Zurich American Insurance Company".

Are you saying you were not offered any of the Zurich options? A rough guess is that it lists over 200 items. It gets down into mind-numbing detail, such as "sensor and limiter valve" (this example is under front and rear suspension coverage), or how about that ever-popular "fuel pump pulsator".

I wonder if the Zurich plans were available at the time you bought your vehicle.

#39 · (Edited)
Hi Navy,
Nope, no mention of a a company called Zurich American Insurance Co. Like I said, BMW NA is the other party on the contract (besides me), and it was just like when I purchased my new E46...effectively 'BMW says they'll service and fix anything for 7 years/100k miles'. For my E46 which I owned for 13 years and 135k miles, nothing was ever refused in the first 7 years. And, in a couple of cases, BMW even covered a couple of things after the official end. For example, under warranty 3 of 4 window regulators replaced, and after warranty end my dealer asked in my behalf and got permission from BMW NA to cover costs of 4th window regulator repair when it failed!

I'll call the Finance guy at the dealer and ask him about forwarding any detailed paperwork regarding exclusions on the E90 coverage, if he has any.
Maybe I get special treatment because I have owned BMWs since 1976, and this E90 is the first one which I have purchased used! :D I have to bring my car in today to see if my rear brake pads are getting close to needing replacement (the CPO inspection two months before I purchased said they would be due), and I'll ask my long time SA about exclusions first, though. And about Zurich plans.

#40 · (Edited)
Hi Navy,

Just got back from a quick visit to my SA. I thought (according the CPO inspection) that my rear pads were about depleted, but the car reports 29000 miles left on them!

So I had opportunity to ask about my coverage. I was standing next to him when he interrogated my key and the coverage and the history of the car, and I saw specific entries for: BMW Vehicle Service , BWM Maintenance Program, Platinum Wrap. He verified what I had said in post 39, effectively that 'BMW says they'll service and fix anything for 7 years/100k miles'.
I asked about exclusions, and he replied, "Bulbs, and hoses" and then added "the Platinum Wrap also probably even covers your radio (which is not ordinarily covered) because that covers 'navigation' and 'entertainment'."
So what covers my E90 is just like the coverage when I ordered my new E46, like I said before.

So then I mentioned that I had connected with someone else in the East Bay who had purchased a similar E90, in Feb 2014 with 35k, "and what was offered to him was something through Zurich(?)..." He immediately replied, "Zurich has nothing to do with BMW (the company)."
So then I wondered out loud about "why he wasn't offered the same extension as what I have", and he speculated about (your) "car 'not being CPO'...the dealer has to pay extra to get that".
I shrugged, thanked him and said I'd see him for the annual visit which he confirmed I am entitled to next month.

#43 ·
Hi Navy,

Just got back from a quick visit to my SA. I thought (according the CPO inspection) that my rear pads were about depleted, but the car reports 29000 miles left on them!

So I had opportunity to ask about my coverage. I was standing next to him when he interrogated my key and the coverage and the history of the car, and I saw specific entries for: BMW Vehicle Service , BWM Maintenance Program, Platinum Wrap. He verified what I had said in post 39, effectively that 'BMW says they'll service and fix anything for 7 years/100k miles'.
I asked about exclusions, and he replied, "Bulbs, and hoses" and then added "the Platinum Wrap also probably even covers your radio (which is not ordinarily covered) because that covers 'navigation' and 'entertainment'."
So what covers my E90 is just like the coverage when I ordered my new E46, like I said before.

So then I mentioned that I had connected with someone else in the East Bay who had purchased a similar E90, in Feb 2014 with 35k, "and what was offered to him was something through Zurich(?)..." He immediately replied, "Zurich has nothing to do with BMW (the company)."
So then I wondered out loud about "why he wasn't offered the same extension as what I have", and he speculated about (your) "car 'not being CPO'...the dealer has to pay extra to get that".
I shrugged, thanked him and said I'd see him for the annual visit which he confirmed I am entitled to next month.
Thanks, Wilt. Of course no one has represented that Zurich is affiliated with BMW. However, he's wrong to say that BMW "has nothing to do" with Zurich. Zurich is the ONLY extended warranty my dealer (Concord BMW) is offering, so presumably BMW has some sort of deal with Zurich.

There's still the issue about the Wrap and which CPO sale dates it was offered for. I'm waiting for answers to my extra questions which I emailed to the Finance Mgr at the dealer, and I'll report back here as soon as they respond. A lot of these folks work every weekend so they get days off in the middle of the week.

#41 ·
I did

Bought allianz... Best in town , bmw, merc, volkswagon etc... Extended warranty under written by allianz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.