Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
I pulled one of the heads on my B7 (same N62 engine for the most part) very recently due to a chipped valve. Had new valve guides pressed in (and valve stem seals replaced) while the head was off. Something to keep in mind is that your local machine shop will likely have a machine to compress the valve springs, so if you are pulling the heads, just let them handle that part -- since it's just a headache, takes a long time but no real skill or finesse if you have the head out already.

If you are doing both heads and can drop the engine easily, definitely do so. If not, take a peek through my pictures in this DIY writeup to get an idea of what to expect when pulling the heads. It was a long process, but honestly not as horrible as I expected...not much worse then preparing for replacing the valve stem seals. In some of the pictures you can see the secondary air ports through the exhaust ports in the head, like in the picture below, as well as the secondary air pipe leading from the check valve into the head. Hope this helps in some way. Also noteworthy, the angle of the secondary air ports are such that they would have to be drilled out through where the exhaust valves normally rest.

If you have any questions about pulling the heads, don't hesitate to ask!

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 04-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3, 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
I pulled one of the heads on my B7 (same N62 engine for the most part) very recently due to a chipped valve. Had new valve guides pressed in (and valve stem seals replaced) while the head was off. Something to keep in mind is that your local machine shop will likely have a machine to compress the valve springs, so if you are pulling the heads, just let them handle that part -- since it's just a headache, takes a long time but no real skill or finesse if you have the head out already.

If you are doing both heads and can drop the engine easily, definitely do so. If not, take a peek through my pictures in this DIY writeup to get an idea of what to expect when pulling the heads. It was a long process, but honestly not as horrible as I expected...not much worse then preparing for replacing the valve stem seals. In some of the pictures you can see the secondary air ports through the exhaust ports in the head, like in the picture below, as well as the secondary air pipe leading from the check valve into the head. Hope this helps in some way. Also noteworthy, the angle of the secondary air ports are such that they would have to be drilled out through where the exhaust valves normally rest.

If you have any questions about pulling the heads, don't hesitate to ask!
You sir, are a scholar and a gentlemen. So it was easier to pull the heads with exhaust attached rather than drop the subframe and remove the exhaust before pulling the heads?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
I was doing this in a little single-car garage and just didn't have the patience to drop the subframe. Sure, it would have been a little easier to physically lift and drop the head into place if the exhaust manifold wasn't still bolted on, but I really think it was only marginally more difficult once I figured out how to angle everything to get in and out past the starter (rock the head up and toward the passenger side of the car, to almost vertical, then lift a little and pull out toward the front of the car).

That all being said, I didn't pull the driver's head, so I don't know how challenging that side might be, but I don't think it would be all too bad -- since you're not fighting the starter.

Also, I ended up not needing the red engine support bar at all -- I thought I would need it to support the weight of the head and exhaust manifold, but didn't; though it was pretty heavy, it was manageable, and much more manageable with the support bar out of the way lol.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 04-03-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Hi Keif,
I have been getting ready to pull my heads to tackle the infamous clogged 2ndary air ports.....so, besides finding a weekend with enough time to dive into this, I'm down to getting my hands on the Camshaft alignment tool set. I've been trying to find a place with reasonable rental rates, unfortunately no luck up here in the northeast (just north of Boston).

If you bought the tool, any interest in selling?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5, 05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC5 View Post
Hi Keif,
I have been getting ready to pull my heads to tackle the infamous clogged 2ndary air ports.....so, besides finding a weekend with enough time to dive into this, I'm down to getting my hands on the Camshaft alignment tool set. I've been trying to find a place with reasonable rental rates, unfortunately no luck up here in the northeast (just north of Boston).

If you bought the tool, any interest in selling?
Hey LDC5,
I would watch the video and see if AGA's tool kit will fix the problem first.
May save your a crap load of time and $ bro. My car is going in Monday there
to fix a P0491 CEL llight and a full bank 1 cleaning/new erg valve.
I will report the result w/ some pics.

Steve