BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Guess the damage...

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  iamthewalrus 
#1 ·
Long story short another drive and I backed into each otherat the same time in a parking lot. Both are at fault. We agreed that we really are responsible for our own car. Stupid situation but **** happens. Looks like I just need a new bumper. If the metal bar hadn't poked through you could just pop it back out.

Anybody care to guess? I know that my body shop charges between 600 and 700 to remove, paint and reinstall a bumper. So my guess is that plus the price of the part. My guess is 1500 for the part. So around 2200. Not really worth the insurance claim considering I'll pay twice that in increased premium.

Here is a picture:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
About a grand.

#8 ·
Some 1980's cars have big black rubber bumpers. Too bad it isn't like that now. Those were rated to 5 mph but then the standards were relaxed to 2.5 mph AND damage was allowed.

Like mentioned above, what happened to the park distance control?

#9 ·
You know, one of these days I will probably hit something - you kind of get used to the PDC beeping that's EXTREMELY conservative. My garage is not that big, but it freaks out pulling in. I still have about 16" of clearance on my front bumper and the picture is in the red with a solid tone.

#12 ·
Bumper cover. Bumper support. Sensor plus support. Bumper support brackets. Mounting clips and brackets. Paint.
I see way over $1000 here.
Or you can have your cousin Ricky do it for 300 bucks. Sensors won't work. Paint will change color over time and will spider web because he uses the wrong additive or no additive.
You may want to look at the other corner to see how far the bumper got pushed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#13 ·
So came back with a written estimate from BMW and my normal bodyshop. Both were right around $1300 give or take a few cents.

as for PDC, it was at such a stupid angle that the PDC didn't pic it up. It was one of those parking lots where the lanes are directional and the spots angled So we were both turning backward. Luckily it was just the bumper because it could well have been the entire side of the car. And PDC did go off, once impact had occurred.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.