BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

09 Owner's Manual Available On Line -Electronic Oil Monitor???

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  anE934fun 
#1 ·
The complete owner's manual is available at the following site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2009/z4/z4sdrive30i/z4sdrive30imediagallery.aspx

I find it sad and probably a deal buster for me that you can only monitor oil with the electronic system. I believe there is no way to check if the oil has actually been changed unless you open the drain plug. I say this because I brought my 3 series to Crevier BMW for service including an oil change, and guess, what, before I left, I checked the oil and it was as dirty as when I dropped it off, clearly the oil was not changed. Got a free inspec 2 and an oil flush, but I wouldn't trust Crevier again. Plus, I would rather top off my oil reservoir before it's down a full quart. Thoughts??

#2 ·
I read that a new problem has cropped up where with the 15K oil changes, no one is 'checking' the oil and cars are coming in with critically low oil levels. Of course I beleive 15K to be a ridiculous amount of time between changes anyway. So if no one pops open the hood then, put in a sensor.... Of course how hard would it be to have both a sensor and a dipstick! I'm with you, I think the oil changes get pushed off to the entry level staff and sometimes, items get skipped. It is conforting to peek at the stick to see the oil condition after a trip to the dealer.... :thumbup:

#3 ·
The complete owner's manual is available at the following site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2009/z4/z4sdrive30i/z4sdrive30imediagallery.aspx

I find it sad and probably a deal buster for me that you can only monitor oil with the electronic system. I believe there is no way to check if the oil has actually been changed unless you open the drain plug. I say this because I brought my 3 series to Crevier BMW for service including an oil change, and guess, what, before I left, I checked the oil and it was as dirty as when I dropped it off, clearly the oil was not changed. Got a free inspec 2 and an oil flush, but I wouldn't trust Crevier again. Plus, I would rather top off my oil reservoir before it's down a full quart. Thoughts??
I guess this means you won't be buying a Porsche either.

Yes, I agree, it is just stupid beyond any measure of comprehension to take the dipstick away!!!!! :mad: It really is unbelievable. :thumbdwn:

#5 ·
I went to the service dept to ascertain if the new Z has a secondary dipstick, and one of their techs and I examined a new Z and there is no such animal. He did say the 09 6 series has added a secondary dipstick at the rear firewall. Additionally, he advised he has seen only one electronic failure but that the electronic oil system should be replaced periodically to ensure that it is working properly.

Personally, there is no way I would buy a car that does not have a manual oil check.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.