BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007 x5

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  be-em-veh-808 
#1 ·
i read today in my autombile magazine that the new x5 is 7 inches longer than the current model and that cargo space only increases by 8%. also, the the third row of seats which are the primary reason for the increase in length can only accomodate people under 5 feet 6 inches. what a joke. why bother? suvs are silly for the most part. why not get the handling dynamics of a car with the convience of a hatch. when i first heard about the new x5 i was excited. not anymore. i am thrilled with my wagon purchase and feel it was the right choice increasingly. WAGONS HO!

#11 · (Edited)
May be one day if X5's are manufactured in Germany I'd consider one. Not likely to happen for BMW. Though, Nissan just announced that production for Quest minivan and Infinity QX56 is moving to Japan. Economic reasons were cited, but it's clear that the Quest and QX, and the Smyrna TN plant in general, have had the most quality problems of all Nissans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061001/bs_nm/autos_nissan_dc_1

For now, I'll take Tourings/Wagons/Estates and made in Germany for BMWs.

#5 · (Edited)
Family Vehicle

I would think that the reasoning for adding the 3rd row is to appeal to families. I know we couldn't consider the X5 :)cry: ) because it lacked a 3rd row (Volvo XC90 instead). Now we can! A lot of families need the extra seating/cargo space to match their needs (carpooling, kids + dogs, towing, etc.).

Carpooling is the single most effective way to reduce fuel consumption. Each time you carpool, you are almost doubling the fuel mileage of the vehicle that is not making the extra trip (pick-up and drop-off for the "cost" of one or the other). Without the third row, you severely limit your ability to transport your kids as well as someone else's. Carpooling also allows you to be much more efficient w/ your time. :thumbup:

Kids over 5' 6" are probably about ready to drive themselves?

#6 ·
One of the reasons why I favored the X5s is because they didn't offer the 3rd row seat. When I got my 8-seater SUV everyone would always say to take my truck. It was fine at first but got old rather quickly. That's why I purchased the 06 before the 07s came out. No more joyrides and napping while I drive.

#7 ·
5'6 isn't that bad.....my wife is 5'4 and I can't think of any buddy's wives over 5'6 (sorry ladies, not that I always want to stick you all the way back there, but in a pinch......it could work)

#8 ·
I have a growing family (more kids on the way) and the 3rd row seat in the new X5 is very appealing to me now. The wagon is nice and maybe a step up from a Minivan, but I'd take an X5 over station wagon anytime.

#10 ·
My wife and I are shopping for a new SUV right now (for her). We have 3 boys and must have at least 7 seats. Minivans and wagons are out of the question for lack of style in most cases.

So far we have driven:

Mercedes GL450 (wife's comment: nice, but somethings doesn't feel right)

Audi Q7 (MUCH BETTER!, fun to drive, sporty)

We can't wait for the new X5. It wasn't an option before, but with the new 3rd row now it is. Can't wait to drive the 4.8i. I have a feeling this will be the car we get.

Oh and she wants to look at the Land Rover LR3 as well. Very capable off road vehicle, but not having a dealer within 200 miles for service issues bothers me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.