BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

07 530i jerk forward when coming to a stop Please HELP

44K views 94 replies 24 participants last post by  jfichera 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new on this forum and try doing a search for this as well but ended up with no answer to my question.

I just got a 2007 530i and notice that when I'm driving the car and coming to a red light or stop the car jerks forward a little right before I stop? I had seen some people with this problem but has anyone gotten it taken care of and what had to be done or replace for this problem to go away ? Any help will be great ! :dunno:
THANKS
John

#5 · (Edited)
not sure.. it would b worth it,,,, to find out if a indy shop can update the tranny. keep reading the posts on this site u will defitnatly learn a tremondous amount. this is a great site.. evryone is willing to help and some of these guys are pretty informative. ive learned more about my 545 in the last 6 months from reading here,,, than i have in the 5 years that ived owned it.... keep looking thru the posts theres alot of info on ur exact issue....

#6 ·
This site is amazing, lots to learn for sure.

#14 ·
I'm sure there's more to it than just replacing the adapter and sleeve. Will you have to clean it out with isopropyl alcohol, parts cleaner or anything like that? It's my understanding that its the degraded sleeve allowing trans fluid in the connection creating the tranny malfunction/jerk. Is this correct?

#15 ·
Sleeve (electrical connector to the mechatronics unit on the transmission) itself is not the problem. The o-rings on the sleeve degrade and allows the trans fluid to seep out.

Leaking sleeve in itself doesn't cause transmission problems. If the leakage is severe enough and enough fluid has leaked out, DUE TO LOW TRANS FLUID, transmission starts to have problems.

If you don't see any leakage around the sleeve, then it's not causing the trans problems. It's easy to see if the sleeve is leaking.

#18 ·
Hi all, I'm new on this forum and try doing a search for this as well but ended up with no answer to my question.

I just got a 2007 530i and notice that when I'm driving the car and coming to a red light or stop the car jerks forward a little right before I stop? I had seen some people with this problem but has anyone gotten it taken care of and what had to be done or replace for this problem to go away ? Any help will be great ! :dunno:
THANKS
John
Hi John,

My 08 535xit I just got has the same symptom that feels like a shudder right as I come to a stop. Please let me know if you get a fix for it.

#20 ·
Hi everyone, so this morning i went to my shop and try getting this done but the guy was supper busy. I'm going back tomorrow morning to check for low tranny fluid level and any types of leaks. I just got this car not more then a week ago, I just hope it nothing big for i have big plans for the car. I will keep everyone posted for those who has this problem as soon as i know more.

*joefrompa i can msg you as soon as i know more info tomorrow morning.
*bmwoem1 thanks for reaching out to me, I live in Brooklyn but if it does come down to a software update i will hit you up for sure and meet up with you. But as a master tech have you seen these problems on the 5 series before and if so what are the steps to checking/ treating the problem. Thanks again!

#76 ·
transmission jerk when stop

Hi everyone, so this morning i went to my shop and try getting this done but the guy was supper busy. I'm going back tomorrow morning to check for low tranny fluid level and any types of leaks. I just got this car not more then a week ago, I just hope it nothing big for i have big plans for the car. I will keep everyone posted for those who has this problem as soon as i know more.

*joefrompa i can msg you as soon as i know more info tomorrow morning.
*bmwoem1 thanks for reaching out to me, I live in Brooklyn but if it does come down to a software update i will hit you up for sure and meet up with you. But as a master tech have you seen these problems on the 5 series before and if so what are the steps to checking/ treating the problem. Thanks again!

Does a software update will fix this problem?
I'm kinfd of desperate.:mad:

I'm new in this site;but a long timer huge bimmer fan.
My first was a 1993 E36 318is.After that an E39, then E53 then an E60 2007 525i.
My experience tell me that m52 engines are the best engine ever.
Everything after 2005 it's more delicate made with less quality not only on bmw also on mercedes.

#21 ·
We'll,, a transmission update fixed that issue on my car and it has never surged comming to a stop again,, and its been over three years since the update was done..So.... i can say for a fact,,,, that a update fixed the problem. and,, have read post here of updates also fixing surging issues on other cars,,,,
i think it depends on wat the problem is... if u dont change ur tranny fluid the silenoids get clogged and can make ur trany surge at different times and speeds ,,,

#25 · (Edited)
Interesting thread; I am going to change out my transmission fluid in the next few weeks. At 60k miles it seems that this will be considered preventive maintenance. I understand that swapping out the tranny fluid in these cars is somewhat a complicated process and you never really get all the gunk out.

#26 ·
Interesting thread; I am going to change out my transmission fluid in the next few weeks. At 60k miles it seems that this will be considered preventive maintenance.
You should reset adaptations as well via INPA. Too many people don't do this step.

#31 ·
I just got a 2010 528xi two days ago and I am experiencing that slight shutter while coming to a stop, the car is still under warranty so maybe I will check to see if there is a software update that I need for my car. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to those posting on the forum

#32 ·
So I went to my shop today to check out for leaks and the Adapter where the o-ring are and all he found was that the tranny pan had a little leak but nothing Critical or Severe where I had to change it ? The problem is still there after i left the shop. My next step is to try the Software update? If anyone got a better idea I'm all ears, I can't take this jerking when coming to a stop anymore. Thanks for everyone time here. John

#38 ·
lol, I'm pretty sure he said for a fee and not free. All in all I call him today and talk to him on the phone and seem to be a very nice guy. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow morning at his job so he can check the car out for me and hoping it will be fixed. Keeping my fingers cross.

#47 ·
Electrical connector [to the trans] can be disconnected without dropping the pan. I think this is what JOHNNY2271 is saying.
Sleeve is attached to the body of trans and can only be removed after pulling on the clip AFTER dropping the pan. Electrical connector plugs in the sleeve from outside the pan.
Adapter is entirely different.

[some] people are mixing the words Electrical connector, sleeve, adapter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.