BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2009 X5 35D Diesel Exhaust Urea Reservoir Problem

75K views 245 replies 69 participants last post by  da_menace 
#1 ·
Seems to be a problem with the Urea Storage/Injection system. At 1700 mi, my X5 displays a service warning that the "Exhaust Fluid is Low"; starting the mileage run down to prevent the vehicle from starting if the problem is not corrected. I checked for a leak & found no evidence of leakage whatsoever. This certainly should not be happening at 1700 mi. Annoying to say the least; undermining my confidence in the vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Joe

#208 ·
Peak BlueDEF

Just an FYI as to DEF availability outside of BMW. I stopped by my local flying J truck stop the other day and found a 2.5 gallon container of Peak Blue DEF that appears to be identical to BMW DEF for $11.

So for you DIY's after the warranty is up, it appears a total refill of the DEF should put you back no more than $27 + tax.

Here is the URL: http://www.bluedef.com/

Enjoy!:thumbup:

#209 ·
I wonder if Audi and Mercedes have the same deal with their BluTeck diesels? You would think that out of the three superior engineering companies that one would figure out a way to easily drain and flush a urea tank or at least have a drain plug on it. I'll bet the Cummins engines don't have that problem.

#211 ·
Exactly.

Every BMW system really doesn't need a flush either!!

If they were smart about it, they'd have a optional flush only if the car was within X months of one year when service was required.

In my case I had an oilservice at ~6 months. The DEF was probably fine, yet they flushed it and filled it with 6.5 gallons of new. No technical need for this.

On a well driven car, just keep topping it off and go forever.... which is what I'll do once BMW stops paying for the (marginal) service.

A

#219 ·
Exhaust Fluid

I just took my 2010 X5 Diesel in for the 2nd timing for the Exhaust Fluid Warning Light. My X5 only has 6000 miles on it! It seems to be happening every 3000 miles. According to the Owners Manual this should only have to be replaced in regular maintenance. As of yesterday they are keeping it overnight and have people from "BMW" looking at it. We'll see.....

#221 ·
Fyi, the cold weather theory has to be bs. I live in southern california and it is june avg temp is 75! Just got my 2nd exhaust fluid warning in 6000 miles. Something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!
Agree something is wrong, but the cold weather issue is a FACT- just doesn't explain your issue.

What did they do to fix it last time? (ie details)

#222 ·
I agree about the cold weather issue. Seems fishy.

What time of year in 2010 did you guys get your X5s? I received mine very late (a month before they released the 2011 model) and do not have an issue with the DEF sensor. I seem to recall reading somewhere on this board that they changed it mid-year, but I could be mistaken.

#226 ·
I agree about the cold weather issue. Seems fishy.

What time of year in 2010 did you guys get your X5s? I received mine very late (a month before they released the 2011 model) and do not have an issue with the DEF sensor. I seem to recall reading somewhere on this board that they changed it mid-year, but I could be mistaken.
Mine was built in October. About 10K miles now and have had NO issues with DEF whatsoever.

#224 ·
Major issue with my BMW X5 Urea system

My 2009 3.5L X5 diesel has 11,168 miles on it. About 50 miles ago a text popped on the screen saying "Exhaust Fluid Incorrect, 1,000 miles left till no start". It wasnt EXACTLY that text, but that's pretty much what it said. I had always taken the car for servicing at Braman BMW in Miami, and have not even taken it for servicing in Dominican Republic till now, so there is no reason why the exhaust fluid should be "incorrect".

I just moved to Dominican Republic from Miami in May. I had never dealt with the Urea system, but had heard of it when i bought it. Now, the dealership here in Santo Domingo tells me that they do not have the equipment to deal with the Urea system since it is only used in american versions of the car, and that the only thing they can suggest is to ship it back to the US or to Puerto Rico for servicing.

Although i would mind sending it to either place for servicing and deactivation of the system, since we have a BMW dealership here in Santo Domingo, but from what i gather, you can't even deactivate the system, meaning that i would have to send it for servicing outside the country every time? This creates a HUGE decrease in utility and value if one would ever consider to sell or use the vehicle outside the US, as I have rudely found out. I feel i shouldve been informed at time of purchase that my vehicle would pretty much be rendered useless outside of the US because of this Urea system.

i still have like 950 miles till the no start happens, and I'm desperately trying to figure out what to do and whether the system can be deactivated somehow, or if the Urea is easy enough to deal with that i could just order it and put it in myself.

#225 · (Edited)
My 2009 3.5L X5 diesel has 11,168 miles on it. About 50 miles ago a text popped on the screen saying "Exhaust Fluid Incorrect, 1,000 miles left till no start". ....
i still have like 950 miles till the no start happens, and I'm desperately trying to figure out what to do and whether the system can be deactivated somehow, or if the Urea is easy enough to deal with that i could just order it and put it in myself.
That's your answer. Refilling the urea is almost as simple as refilling your windshield washer fluid. All you need is the Urea and a funnel.

Longer term you MAY have some issues with 'stale' urea. But I rather doubt this will be a real problem IFF you always draw down the urea to the warning level then only fill the passive tank. This will force the system to pump the fresh urea from the passive tank into the active tank diluting the remaining old Urea in the active tank. AFAIK you can do this indefinitely as long as you drive around 10-12kmiles/yr. This assures that the Urea system always has "fresh" urea.

The bigger question is why your urea system is running low at 11,168 miles. Did your 35d have it's first oil service while it was still in the US?

Funf Dreisig

#227 ·
The European xdrive40d is exactly the same car and engine except the urea injection. We got this "green" system here thanks to the strict CALI emission requirements.

I strongly believe, that there should be a way to hack the system and bypass the urea injection (talking about after warranty time)... this is just matter of time, be patient.
There should be a way to trick the computer and make it work without this complicated system.

#232 ·
Dealer told me it would need to be replenished at each oil change (12k miles), but might run out sooner, depending on driving conditions, etc.
I think the car based the time left on number of starts from when it runs low, not miles.
Either way, the dealer fills it at no charge. They gave me a few bottles so I can top it off myself if I run low and can't get in soon enough.

#234 ·
I'm going to guess that the DEF is directly (first order) related to total fuel consumption. Simply how many liters of diesel have you used.

#237 ·
I called BMW and they said that the diesel needs service every 9,000 mls, not 15,000 as for gas. At the time of service they refill the fuel exhaust fluid. They said if it gets down to 250 mls before it won't start then bring it in and they will top it off, but it should be ok until I get to my 9,000 service.

#238 ·
Impressive to have that tally.

Per google, I read that DEF is about 2% of the diesel usage...so 2% of 331 gal is 6.6 gallons..and as I recall the X5 holds 6.5 gallons of def.

#239 ·
My 35d is coming up for the second oil change and I'm baffled with my DEF situation. At first service (10K miles) the dealer put in one can which I believe is 2.5 gallons. I insisted that he needed to put in more and had the service advisor go back and double check. He confirmed it only needed one can! I told him I'd be back. Now nearly 10K miles later, I am getting ready for the next oil change in 600 miles and there is no count down yet. It will be interesting to see how much they put in this time. It appears that I have plenty of DEF that's over a year old! That can't be good with stuff I've read about DEF crystallization and such like. Does anyone know when the DEF flush is due?

#240 ·
How many miles total, how many for the first 2.5 gallon fill?

I'd be concerned that the system is not metering enough DEF and is therefore not working properly. Less concerned with old DEF.

#241 ·
Hi Ard, My odometer reads almost exactly 20K miles and I got the refill at the first oil change at roughly 10K miles. Assuming the tech correctly reported one can of DEF, the first 10K miles used up only 2.5 gallons. My average mpg based on a rough calculation is 21. So, my DEF usage is roughly 0.5% of diesel consumption! I hooked up the OBD reader and there were no errors. I seriously doubt a dosing error. If the dosing system had an issue, the NOx sensor would pick up the increased amounts of NOx. Given how widely the SCR system is used in the US, I would think this is the most basic kind of failure manufacturers would prevent!!??

#242 ·
Well, what are the options?

1. You really used only 2.5 gal and your car is somehow meeting NOx at only 0.5%.>>>>>>> Maybe old DEF will be a concern. ask them to flush with the next service, or at least at year two

2. You actually used more than one "2.5 gal can"...and this next service will show 2.5 cans each 2.5 gallons.... ergo the first tech 'mis-spoke'>>>>>>>>>no problems.

#243 · (Edited)
After all the analysis, the DEF countdown just came on!! Another mystery solved! Looks like my DEF consumption rate is just under 1.5% of Diesel fuel consumption.

Also by a bizarre coincidence the dreaded CEL came on today as well. The code is P007B which I believe is the air temp sensor. I also managed to break a glass shelf in my fridge. It's been an eventful weekend and it's only Saturday night!

Edit: Corrected the OBDII code

#244 ·
Just put 1200 miles on the X5 total now. Went into the dealer to talk to my CA and they said they can't check the levels on the tank so they just decided to fill it up anyways. So much easier than having to complain and bitch about it later when it runs out prematurely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.