BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Do you acknowledge the other F10 drivers on the road?

6K views 73 replies 48 participants last post by  Skyrider01 
#1 ·
Or any BMW in that matter? I've been getting the conventional double honk, thumbs up, and similar gestures.

Just an observation. Meanwhile, every other car on the road wants to race me. Smh

#50 · (Edited)
Drive in the right line: more room all around, more time to react once the incoming semi flies over median. Do not engage with the plebs. Once had enough move right foot forward, count twenty Missisipies, enjoy regained tranquility. Repeat as needed.

#51 ·
No, they seem to be a bunch of Tossers. I don't wave to other car drivers. Even if you pull up to other drivers at the gas pump, they're clueless. Unless you run into another BMW fan they'll look at you like you're a space alien.

BMW certainly is not like it was back in the day....say 1990. It's not a Porsche 911 GT3 (or Harley):thumbup:

#53 ·
No. At the end of the day we are driving a luxury sedan but nothing really special. yes its expensive but not exclusive.

I had 2 Corvettes (an '86 and '99) and the experience owing them was way different. You get looks from everyone and Corvette owners wave to each other on the road no matter what model/yr vette you were driving.

#55 ·
This thread is pretty funny. Don't have a BMW yet (searching), but I live 1hr 45min from the nearest dealer so there are not too many BMWs around here. When I do see one, it is usually a big deal... sometimes enough to say to my wife "guess what I saw today..." I have a 35 mile commute to work everyday and have never seen another BMW on the road... occasionally see a black Jag once in a while though. If I happen to see another BMW after I purchase one, I will probably give them a slight hand motion off the top of the steering wheel as they are pretty rare. Hope when I get a BMW that I don't turn into an a$$-hole! :rofl:

#56 ·
I find acknowledging takes place more with BMW motorcycles. If we end up at a light or in near proximity, there is this sort of 'unity' in the way we drive for a short while.

This coming from someone who pretty much hates bikes as well as any other BMW driver on the road :)

#57 · (Edited)
I don't acknowledge non Msport cars and MSport X-drives. Since I drive a Manual I really don't even get why most of you even bother?
To me your all driving a Lexus. Paddle shifters that have torque converters? I've played video games more interesting!

I give you guys credit, at least you get out of bed in the morning!

but lets be straight about all this:

550i owners think its all about the power, but your not rowing your own gears. So basically while fast, your not driving the car, it drives you. Steve Yeager was not an astronaut for this reason. BMW origin is not defined by muscle.
528i owners I give more respect. They don't go around lifting their leg and leaving their scent every where. They are getting good crisp performance, economy, if bought used are smarter than the rest of us as they get 95% of what we got for a lot less, and they are not looking in reflective store windows to check out their car in the reflection!
XDrive Stepronic: Fearful of weather owners who have excessive wheel gap envy and a desire to conquer mother nature. Does not understand snow tires on rear are better than x-drives with all seasons. There is a word for x-drive owners: AUDI!
535i rwd: The cream of the crop. First reason, its the only model with manual offered thru 2013. Secondly the only real BMW engine of the group, which is the inline six. BMW's are suppose to be manual transmission cars with inline 6 motors.
Mods I don't acknowledge: Lowering the car. It lowers the drive quality. Steering wheel exchange: Sorry, you don't have an M. Suffer in your ineptitude but poser new steering wheel can't help you. Rear spoilers: car is way to heavy to think this matters. Held on my 3m tape. Ha!
Wrapping the chrome on the door handles: but not funding the retirement account? At least you have priorities!
Taking a day off from work to paint brake calipers: Ok, I guess if its ok with your boss as long as your living in his basement!

If you lease, you don't own the car. Your renting. If you mod heavy and lease, your doing it with someone else's money.

I respect the M2, M4, and M5. Seven series are for people that don't like to drive. 3 series are nice but getting two big as well. I respect low optioned manual cars. I respect the 2 series. Its really the 3. SUV's should not be named BMW. I don't begrudge them for making them, just call it something else. Maybe BTW? "Bavarian Truck Works".

So its so rare that I acknowledge other BMW's, I forget to even bother!!
(I hope you understand this is an attempt at Sarcasm!)

#68 ·
I don't acknowledge non Msport cars and MSport X-drives. Since I drive a Manual I really don't even get why most of you even bother?

To me your all driving a Lexus. Paddle shifters that have torque converters? I've played video games more interesting!

I give you guys credit, at least you get out of bed in the morning!

but lets be straight about all this:

550i owners think its all about the power, but your not rowing your own gears. So basically while fast, your not driving the car, it drives you. Steve Yeager was not an astronaut for this reason. BMW origin is not defined by muscle.

528i owners I give more respect. They don't go around lifting their leg and leaving their scent every where. They are getting good crisp performance, economy, if bought used are smarter than the rest of us as they get 95% of what we got for a lot less, and they are not looking in reflective store windows to check out their car in the reflection!

XDrive Stepronic: Fearful of weather owners who have excessive wheel gap envy and a desire to conquer mother nature. Does not understand snow tires on rear are better than x-drives with all seasons. There is a word for x-drive owners: AUDI!

535i rwd: The cream of the crop. First reason, its the only model with manual offered thru 2013. Secondly the only real BMW engine of the group, which is the inline six. BMW's are suppose to be manual transmission cars with inline 6 motors.

Mods I don't acknowledge: Lowering the car. It lowers the drive quality. Steering wheel exchange: Sorry, you don't have an M. Suffer in your ineptitude but poser new steering wheel can't help you. Rear spoilers: car is way to heavy to think this matters. Held on my 3m tape. Ha!

Wrapping the chrome on the door handles: but not funding the retirement account? At least you have priorities!

Taking a day off from work to paint brake calipers: Ok, I guess if its ok with your boss as long as your living in his basement!

If you lease, you don't own the car. Your renting. If you mod heavy and lease, your doing it with someone else's money.

I respect the M2, M4, and M5. Seven series are for people that don't like to drive. 3 series are nice but getting two big as well. I respect low optioned manual cars. I respect the 2 series. Its really the 3. SUV's should not be named BMW. I don't begrudge them for making them, just call it something else. Maybe BTW? "Bavarian Truck Works".

So its so rare that I acknowledge other BMW's, I forget to even bother!!

(I hope you understand this is an attempt at Sarcasm!)
Loved the sarcasm! I'll have to check the Los Angeles Dodgers history for for Chuck Yeager's catcher statistics!!

#59 ·
I never get any head nods since my M6 is debadged and people can't tell it from a Sebring convertible. ;)

On the other hand, my fully modified 550xi proudly wore a DINAN5 badge and I always got thumbs up from drivers in the know. :thumbup:

Of course, the self-rowing 535i drivers never got close enough to read the Dinan badge. ;)

P.S. ;) generally denotes sarcasm/humor. ;)

#62 · (Edited)
I love my car, its heritage, its elegance.

But waaay too many, BMWs to feel like a club member. They're everywhere it seems.

I love driving it in the mountains. It makes me feel great.

I agree its demographic is older. (M's being different)

Depending on eye contact, i'd wave, wink or thumbs up.

As aptly noted above, folks seem to hate BMW drivers, for the most part.
(last time I looked ...my a$$h0le is still where it was when I had my Volvo...but time marches on.....could happen).

I have seen too many low performance drivers in high performance cars. I behave, for fear of being too close to a nitwit at high speed. Around here, in the mountains, its a likely to be some over sized pick up with (pick your fav stereotype) at the wheel, who hates BMWs, Porsches, etc.

OTOH, I have a '70 XKE, and we always wave/dip lights to each other, provided that we can still slip into the car. This seems to get more cramped as time goes on. Just enough room for your thigh to clear the fixed steering column and the seat..........ive had mine since I was 26. Bought it eleven years old with 22k orig miles from the original owner. No one hates the car...or me, it seems.
I had more testosterone, less volume, and fewer brains, and lived to write this.......things come full circle.

#63 ·
As I've said earlier, no BMWs around here... well, actually I know a woman that just bought a 7 series a few months ago and a plant owner across the road from my office has a 535i. But that's about it. You want true anonymity... drive a Honda Accord like I am now... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Honda Accord around here. That's a big reason why I want a BMW... something different around here!

#65 ·
Hilarious, Dunderhi! I have to say, I've never noticed the similarity, and now I don't think I'll be able to get it out of my head!

Here in the NYC area, there's way too many 5ers to acknowledge anyone passing. Even here in my tiny little 5 square mile town outside the city, there are two other Carbon Black Msport 535's, but mine is the only one that's de-badged. I did have an experience with an M4 driver yesterday though, who came roaring up behind me on a residential street, where I was trundling along at 32 miles an hour - not nearly fast enough for said M4.

After having him follow me for a quarter mile or so with him being close enough that I could rarely see his headlights in the rearview mirror, I pulled over, and let him pass me. 20 seconds later, with him in front of me now, a guy in an E46 M3 went past, in the other direction, and he honked and gave the M4 a big thumbs up.

I had to laugh at their obvious camaraderie, even as I was still a little steamed that he couldn't stand me going only 2 miles an hour over the speed limit on a street where kids were outside in yards playing.

OTOH, while sitting in traffic on the Bruckner a few weeks ago, I found myself crawling alongside an F10 528 Msport in the lane next to me. After a few minutes, I noticed he'd de-badged his. We rolled down windows and chatted a bit about how we both preferred the look of the car without the badging, and that we were both enjoying our cars immensely. Who said New Yorker's aren't nice?

#66 ·
I owned an E21, 1977 320i in the early Eighty's. Everyone in a 320i would wave, and some 2002's (not all). I got away from BMW's for a while, and when I got back into them in the 2000's (645, now a 535), I noticed nobody waves any more. I think when they went from an niche market car to a major (volume) manufacturer, those kinds of community displays went away.

I also have an S2000, and those owners rarely wave as well (Miata before this was similar, few waves).

#67 ·
No I don't but I will save my parking spot for a BMW if I see one in a line of cars waiting for my spot. :rofl:

#70 ·
Say hi

Well, here in So Cal, most people are not so friendly. With my 550i which is blacked out with gloss grill, jet black, replaced front reflector, 550 badge is powder coated and the rims are matte/gloss powder coated an red rotors so it gets looks but no thumbs up. There are many imports and high-end exotics here so most just go along their merry way.

#73 ·
I find E30 drivers to be a pretty congratulatory group. Not always, but generally. Not exactly related, but a bro moved into my neighborhood last year who used to have an E28. My E30 must have given him the bug cause now he has one. What can I say, I'm a trendsetter [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.