BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Vehicle Check due..."Since 01/2000"!!

36K views 119 replies 51 participants last post by  Psam550 
#1 ·
My car greeted me this morning with the warning that Vehicle check service is past due "since 01/2000"! Yesterday, it showed, correctly I think, that Vehicle check is due 6/2015. I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have this looked at. My car does seem to know the correct date and time. My concern is that, just as on a computer motherboard with a dead CMOS battery or CMOS reset, something lost power or was reset and an internal clock reset to base time zero. Has anyone seen this in their car?

Attachments

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
It seems that the "Service Check Due..." error is linked to a rear (only?) brake replacement countdown flaw and that they are solved, together, by SIB B34 02 13. I'm glad that I mentioned the brake countdown faltering and restarting to my SA! Please see the attached invoice for details. When I took my car in, the Service Check Due since 01/2000 and rear brake replacement in 3,100 miles were indicated. When I got the car back this morning, the Service Check Due indication was gone and the rear brake service was shown as required in 16,000 miles from now.

I hope that this can end the Servce check Due since 01/2000 mystery!

I did notice that the coding I'd done in the CAS module for the following functions has been set back to default and I'll have to re-configure.

- Unlocks doors when engine is stopped (start/stop button is pushed)
CAS => 3002 CLM ER => KEYOUT_AUTOVR => aktiv

- Closes mirrors, windows, and moon roof through Key Fob and Comfort Access
CAS => 3003 FH MASTER => KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB => aktiv
CAS => 3003 FH MASTER => KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_PA => aktiv
FRM => 3020 => ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN => aktiv

Attachments

#35 ·
Just wondering if the problem has come back? I got the "service due since 1/2000" message this morning, also have had a rear brake warning for some time (stayed at 5000 miles for a long time, now is at 4700).
How long did it take them to do the SIB? I'm driving to Vegas next weekend, and don't want any issues cropping up....

#37 ·
SIB B34 02 13's application to my car resolved the Service Check Due Since 01/2000 problem and the inaccurate reporting of brake life remaining and everything seems fine going into the third week post-fix. The SIB update took only a few minutes after the link between the service reminder and inaccurate brake reading was discovered. If I may offer a suggestion, print my invoice and take it with you. This may shorten the kill chain on your problem's resolution and you may even be able to get it done in a couple of hours. My dealer kept my car all day and over the night only because I told them that I couldn't make it back on the same day to pick up my car.

Regards,
MWPos

#38 ·
Thanks.... good idea on bringing your invoice with me. Probably won't get this done until after I get back from Vegas. Does anyone think this is a real issue, or just a software glitch reporting incorrect data?

#41 ·
I've had 'service due since Jan/2000' for two months now. Brought it up to my SA during my last trip for tires which resulted in the advice to 'just leave it alone, let them figure it out and I will let you know.' I've taken that advice and no issues at all so it must be a glitch. I Car Vehicle Auto part Gauge Measuring instrument
believe if its not causing me any issues I'd rather not be the test subject to figure it out. Only problem I've ever had with the car over the past 2 years and as of today 20,071 miles since delivery. I do have an annoyance with a slight vibration between 60 and 70 mph but other than that- no issues! I've thought about trading it for a 2014 but have decided to wait another year or so and see what comes out next. Plus it's my favorite Bimmer so far out of the 5 we've had since the start with our first Bimmer which was a 2006 325i. Least favorite was the X5 4.8 2008 blah.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#43 ·
@gt The blah is from new tires every 7k on 20 inch rims which amounted to 3k a pop every few months in addition to the X being in shop 1/3 of the year. Was disappointing experience but BMWNA bought it back and that was a good experience from a bad one. All in all the X was excellent if you wanted to look at it only. Like the saying goes 'no matter how good she looks someone somewhere is sick of her crapola.' Wife has a 2014 X1 and it so far is a great Bimmer that surprised me! So with that said if you like power and don't mind new tires- I'd say go for it. I know my situation is not the norm - but that did in my want of an X5 again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#46 · (Edited)
It is a software glitch reporting incorrect data. The reason that we, and BMW, may want to take this seriously is that if the Condition Based Service (CBS) system fails to report problems properly, or reports no problem at all if there is one...then we can't trust the CBS system. For example, my CBS showed rear brake pad replacement was due when upon visual inspection the brake pads had more than 7mm remaining. It also showed that the oil change wasn't due for another 24,000 miles....If I had obeyed these I would have trashed a great set of rear brake pads and run my engine 1.5+ years between oil changes. Big deal? Probably not. Wasteful of the brakes, and possibly harmful to the engine? Probably.

Attachments

#47 ·
Same with mine. It happened about 3 weeks after my service. All of a sudden, I start the car and see the red halo in the dash showing "service due since 1/ 2000". I also noticed that a screen asking me to chose a profile would pop up after the screen would boot up. I took it in to service yesterday and so far, everything is ok.

#48 ·
After many attempts, they have done at least two reprograming, replaced the combiinstrument, they now say that BMW in Munich has found out what the problem is.
I don’t know exactly what they did but the result is that I got new keys…! They say the service indicator pics up a value (01/2000) from a component that is faulty. I guess the keys are a part of that when you use it to see what service has to be done.
So far so good…

#54 ·
I just started getting this message the other day. I already had an appointment for other things, so I'll have them check this out. It looks like I'll also lose some of my coding again. :bawling:

#56 · (Edited)
You might try this:
Turn on the ignition by pressing the start button.
Press the day milage button on the left of your speedo meter for 10 seconds.
Scroll by quick presses through the menu.
Select the reset check car line by pressing and holding the same button a bit longer, you'll find out, it is quite straightforward.
And that is it, no more timewarp scheduling in your post 01 2000 car.

#62 ·
Mine is back as well. My car is in for normal maintenance and was informed BMW is working on a patch but it's not ready. It amazes me that this issue has not been resolved. I'll see tomorrow if it was even temporally changed during service.

#64 ·
Had almost the same issue, rear brakes counting down wrong (the car has 20k miles) and then suddenly showing service overdue since 36k miles.
They did change the software and it shows 2 different SIB numbers on the invoice, SIB 122511 for the jump in the oil change and SIB 340213 for the rear brake issue.
Just picked up the car and only drove 10 miles so too early to tell.
Its a 04/2011 build 535xi.
Also seems to have made the throttle more responsive with a bit longer staying in 1st gear but mine was never as bad as some described it here.

#65 ·
01/2000

My 2010 535i GT is in for the 4th time for this issue. I just got off the phone with the CA. He says what ever they have been doing such as replacing the instrument cluster does not work. They( BMW) are working on a software fix now. Not sure when it will be ready but my guess is with in 2 months. The CA talked to the BMW regional tech guy who gave him this info. So when the software patch becomes available I can get it then. I'll let people know when I hear this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.