BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Clicking sound with Integral Active Steering

67K views 180 replies 44 participants last post by  frosad 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I apologize if this was already discussed here. If it was and it answers my question I would appreciate a link.

My problem is my steering wheel clicks when driving very slow (like in traffic jam) and I have the wheels in straight position and turn very little from side to side. not sure if it is important, but I have integral active steering.
When I went to dealer first time they inspected my car and didn't find any problems. I drove a few thousand miles and went to dealer again. This time after inspection they replaced "Wheel Hub with Bearing" - 31 20 6 850 158 and "Collar Screws" - 31 20 6 855 906. After a few days I found out nothing has changed and it is still clicking :banghead:
Does any experience this issue? Is it normal?
I contacted other forums and some people said it is normal. It doesn’t sound ok to me therefore I wanted to check with you.

Thank you in advance!

#98 ·
The service report just says SG Programming/Coding in Japanese. Again, this was supposed to be an update released by BMW in May 2015 so it's been out there for a year.

Driving around these past couple days I notice one or two knocks very, very slightly at start-up but when driving is non-existent.

I've had the knocking for so long that I'm not sure if it's my imagination - it's definitely not distinct like it used to be. Will feedback more after a week or so.

fingers crossed.

#100 ·
The service report just says SG Programming/Coding in Japanese. Again, this was supposed to be an update released by BMW in May 2015 so it's been out there for a year.

Driving around these past couple days I notice one or two knocks very, very slightly at start-up but when driving is non-existent.

I've had the knocking for so long that I'm not sure if it's my imagination - it's definitely not distinct like it used to be. Will feedback more after a week or so.

fingers crossed.
Now I see you mention software from May 2015. I assumed you meant May 2016, my bad. But did you get this software from a BMW dealer, or an independent shop? Because here in The Netherlands (and the rest of Europe) the dealers only use the latest software when updating a car.

#99 ·
That's cool. Now the Germans are collaborating with the Japanese to resolve this mysterious and complex issue. Global teamwork. A bit off topic, isn't the new Supra going to be a collaboration between Toyota and BMW?:angel:

#101 ·
It was all done at the dealer - matter of fact, the same dealership that I bought my first E36 back in 1998. So I have lots of history there and they've done a lot through the years in supporting me.

Today, I didn't feel one knock at all - even at startup, stopping at lights, driving and shutting down the car.

So far, it's been good.

Not sure if it's the software but the steering now feels great, solid, firm - just felt like I was back in a BMW. It is either that or the knocking is soo bad that it distracts from what it was supposed to feel like.

On a side, post inspection, the dealer set the tire pressure to 2.4 bar F/R (245/275/19) which is lower than what I usually set it to which is 2.6/2.8 - sometimes steering feel changes with some pressure adjustment. For right now, I think this is the sweet spot.

Just hope this continues.

#103 · (Edited)
I have read through all the pages of this thread.
I see you all dirive 5 and 7 series cars.
I have the ticking issue on a F30 328 2013. Do you think it's the same issue?
Actually I am not sure what active steering is and if I have it on the F30. How can I know.
Is the solution as of today only a SW upgrade? No steering rack / column / shaft / gearbox or other?
I went to the dealer and they ordered this for me: Switch unit steering column - 61319351140, any chance it will help?
I preffer they change as little parts as possible if it will not solve the problem.
If SW can solve this, what version do I need?
By the way, I have a patch to reverse the start/stop button so that it does not work unless I turn it on - I hated the need to turn it off all the time. Does this make a difference?

Thank you

#108 ·
WOW, great news.

So do you think its also the solution for my F30 ticking noise? (as per my description of the noise)

What SW version do you have?

I'm also active in this post where TIM is offering a totally different solution:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770612

Still confused.

Thanks
I don't know the version number but understood BMW released this in May 2015.

Folks here I believe received this update already but may not have fixed their issues.

Not sure if there are differences to the software between NA and Euro spec.

I would think a certified dealer would know about the release. BMW Tokyo said pre release, the guidance they were given from headquarters was to replace the steering gearbox to address this issue - which explains why they did this on mine twice before.

#113 ·
It's not a cheap part - True.
But the car is still under warranty so the dealer / garage gets paid back by the local master dealership that, I assume, get paid back by the German manufacturer.
Isn't the warranty a back 2 back issue all the way to the manufacturer?

#114 ·
let them replace what they think needs replacement if it is under warranty - all this goes in their records demonstrating you have had a valid issue, you get brand new parts and if the issue reappears it's on them for not fixing it and worse, it's cost they bear for not fixing the issue appropriately.

The next time the woodpecker appears I am making a B line to the dealer.

#118 ·
I'm surprised your woodpecker is gone after software update. You have absolutely no knocking/ticking anymore, not even at very slow speeds just before stopping? Or moving steering wheel slightly from center position when stopped? My woodpecker still present after software update last April, like I mentioned in previous posts.

#116 ·
I feel the pain but you either do something or live with the bird pecking.

btw - your ride shows an E39 530 - I still love the E39 owned I6's and a V8 for 12 years prior to the F10.

and I know it's hell to pay for a car in Singapore. I've been going there on business twice annually over the past 10 years.

at any rate hope you find a way to get your issue fixed.

#122 ·
So I've been to the shop this morning again regading the steering wheel ticking. Now they agree that the part they ordered (Switch unit steering column - 61319351140) is not the solution and they are re-thinking what to do.
Mechanic in charge of diagnostics told me they will look into it and search their internal "PUMA" database to find a solution...
I'm skeptic...

#123 ·
Well, to add to the confusion I did have to have a software update to the car due to a diesel systems issue. Some sensor went out, eventually got replaced, but one of the fixes was a software update. I lost all my coding, sadly...but the clicking has actually decreased/almost gone away. So it COULD be improved with software. I noticed it once the other day but it's much more rare now...

#124 ·
After my software update (in april 2016) the woodpecker pattern changed, and you could say the clicking has decreased. But sadly, not completely gone. Still there when driving very slowly and then come to full stop. It clicks a few times during this action, and sometimes it can be felt in steering wheel too. And also when starting the engine, many times two or three 'initial' clicks can be heard.

#125 ·
I have had the steering hardware replaced twice with the first one lasting 10 months. The second one is still to be determined. I can post the parts numbers (F02 7 series) if you'll want it. The software (working or not) is probably only a workaround. I think it is a flaw design that is "treated" with a software patch/update. There will probably be no "cure" with this design besides short term replacment, no recalls (no safety issues), and will go down in history as the infamous, "BMW Steering Woodpecker" aka, ARS with BSW side effects.:angel:

Talk to your technician, and send your SA the link to these threads. They will read it. The replacement approval depends on how your SA and technician writes up the ticket to submit to BMW for approval. If you are not happy with the software update, ask for the hardware replacement. If you are not happy after the hardware replacement, sell your car. :) That is what I will do.

#126 ·
So, I picked the car up from the shop, they changed the part I wrote about which I was sure has nothing to do with the ticking since no one in this forun changed that part as a solution.
Well, 3 days later and the ticking is back !!! I guess they greased / oiled the area and it helped for a very short period and I guess it dried up and the ticking is back.

Now what? I called them and they have no clue... They tried to say this is how it is... I'm not accepting this answer and will go all the way to contacting Germany to complain if they cant solve it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.