BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to change fog lights to LED?

11K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  MrNineDigitz 
#1 ·
Hey guys - is there a special bulb you can buy to make the fogs on the msport match the led headlamps? If so, how hard is the installation (replacement) of the bulbs? I'm not feeling the yellow fogs with led headlamps.

#3 ·
Sorry, messed that up. I have a 2013 550 so it has Xenon Adaptive with LED Corona rings... trying to get fogs to match the Xenon.

#5 ·
#9 ·
I did the Philips Diamond Vision H8 Head Light Bulbs (5000k) for the fog lamps on my 2011 and they match the headlights very closely. The stock fog lamp bulbs looked brownish by comparison.

#11 ·
Thanks for the heads up Boss. I'm assuming that simply installing new headlights with a error canceller, that shouldn't mess with the warranty correct? (obviously the headlights won't, but I don't know what impact the canceller would have).

@550newbie were they easy to install? did you also install an error canceller?

#12 ·
OP, if you would like your fogs to be functional like the '14 LED fogs, installing LED bulbs with error cancellors won't do the trick. It will match the halo ring color but you won't have any visible illumination at night. Functional fogs are possible with the use of an HID kit (one like gtmassive75 mentioned above).

#14 ·
I'm not really looking for functionality as the headlights themselves are so damn bright, the fogs barely add much light to the ground. This is purely aesthetic.

Just saw Xmen's post - that sucks... I guess I might just take a chance. I'm assuming there are no OEM blubs for this?

#20 ·
I'm concerned about voiding the warranty by doing this though.

#29 ·
I did the Phillips X-treme Ultinon they are 6000K and match the headlights spot on. Then coded the car to change it from xenon to led and disabled the bulb checks. No issues, and no resistors to worry about melting stuff. I guess you need to be careful mounting them as I have heard of people melting wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.