BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

N63 engine recall

592K views 2K replies 370 participants last post by  indycarmarc 
#1 · (Edited)
Took my car in yesterday and my service advisor said there is a recall on the n63 motor that he hadn't seen before.
Details were limited but he said they have to test a bunch of the parameters on how the engine performs, send that data to BMW and depending on what they see, BMW may require the dealer to replace certain components of the engine. Said this could take several days to complete.

This is all I've got for now. Hoping I'll get some additional details as the week progresses. I'll update thread. Wondering if this has anything to do with the injectors?
Anyone else heard or aware of this recall?

#89 ·
This isn't a recall, the thread title is a little misleading. This is a "customer care" deal, basically bypassing an official recall. It will be attached to your VIN when the service dept at your dealership checks it out.

From your details, a 2011 550i is definitely one that needs to go in.

#91 ·
Just an Info for all folks out there:

The same items that BMW is now "checking" happened all to my 2011 550i…

1. Engine fuel pump (leaked) - exchanged
2. weeks later...Battery discharge - was always empty and never loaded itself.. - exchanged
3. weeks later: ignition coil exchanged and DME software updated
4. 1 week later: Fuel System Low Pressure Sensor/Feed Line - exchanged
5. weeks later: Engine exchanged including turbos, Injectors etc…(metal pieces were found in engine oil)…

For items 1-4 i paid myself out of my pocket. BMW did refuse to pay since car has no warranty anymore. They paid item 5 for courtesy in November 2014 when this campaign was not public…

In total, my car has about 20k miles and these things happened before (I would say after 15k miles)…I am going to see if BMW reimburses me for my expenses (item 1-4) that are connected to this issues…

During all these things happened, I constantly had this stupid "drivetrain malfunction" message….

Thank you for the ultimate driving machine…

#94 ·
Customer Care - N63

The "Customer Care Program" was only activated on January 2. If your dealership has not heard of it yet, there is good reason. The program appears to be pretty sound. It is essentially a recall without the bad press of the word "recall". Most interesting to many of you (myself included) is a reimbursement program for qualifying work done at your expense at OR outside of a dealership. I have a copy of the Previous Customer-pay Repairs process. It covers the following:
  • Hot-Film Air Mass Sensors
  • PIEZO High Pressure Fuel Injectors
  • Engine Vacuum Pump
  • Fuel System Intake Turbo Seals
  • Crankcase Ventilation Lines (Hoses)
  • Timing Chain

I attempted to enter my own repairs onto the site (www.BMW-RP.com) and it did not take. A follow-on call to customer service had them stumped about the whole program as well. They are working the issue and will get back to me in a day. I will post the resolution. Looks like this program was communicated inside of BMW before release. Amateur move. Let's hope someone in their communications department gets to work after the holidays.

From what I understand, the issue is the location of the turbos on the top of the engine. This causes an excessive amount of heat to be trapped, running temperatures up to 1,400 degrees F. This heat breaks down seals, hoses, etc. The new design on the engine has the turbos on the sides. Here is the good news for us; they are not simply replacing the parts for the same parts (to break down in a year or two). I understand they have engineered new aircraft grade parts capable of withstanding the heat. Best option? No. BUT, a much better option than to continue the same cycle.

#159 ·
... From what I understand, the issue is the location of the turbos on the top of the engine. This causes an excessive amount of heat to be trapped, running temperatures up to 1,400 degrees F. This heat breaks down seals, hoses, etc. The new design on the engine has the turbos on the sides. Here is the good news for us; they are not simply replacing the parts for the same parts (to break down in a year or two). I understand they have engineered new aircraft grade parts capable of withstanding the heat. Best option? No. BUT, a much better option than to continue the same cycle.
mtpot:

I understand the logic of the excessive heat and breakdown etc.

Where did you get the information that the replacement parts are "aircraft grade parts"? Are those instructions and part numbers in the corresponding SIB's?

#95 ·
Yeah, we've seen the service side, although, interesting info on what they're replacing the defective parts with. I think at this point all of us are waiting for the sales side to be released, hopefully today. Assuming there is a sales side of this thing.

#96 ·
Customer Care Program - N63

My 2011 X5 50.1 is in the shop now. It was consuming oil (without producing smoke or drips in the driveway???) and the engine would skip if you did anything other than feather the gas pedal - causing the engine failure light to come on. I was provided a 2014 328 as a loaner - Considering I was sick about the idea of paying thousands for repairs, I am not complaining a bit. I already had the fuel injectors and vent lines replaced in 2014. Their process is to run diagnostics on the car and replace all of the qualifying parts. I was told this is about 18 hours in labor and around $8K USD. I would recommend any of you who qualify to get in now. My guess would be a backorder on parts shortly.

#97 ·
Contacted my SA. He didn't even hesitate. Said that they've set up a call center to coordinate all the repairs and needs. Told me to wait for that call back. He didn't sound enthused to hear my voice. I assume it's not pleasant over there. I'll keep you all posted on what I hear back from the call center.

Sad times.

#100 · (Edited)
I somehow doubt they would be willing to do any extra work and only charge for additional labor while the engine is apart....My car had to be towed to BMW due to the drive train issue and I had to authorize a diagnostics fee before they would even look to see if the items covered under the campaign might need to be replaced.

#99 ·
I just called Rallye BMW in Westbury, NY... Initially the person on the phone wasn't aware of a recall. I provided the bulletin number and "name" of the recall and she found it. She stated Rallye was awaiting parts from BMW. Once they receive the parts, owners will start receiving letters.

On a side note.. I've had the "drive train malfunction"... they replaced my injectors... and shortly there after I received a msg about low voltage on my battery... so the battery was replaced as well.

I'm really curious as to the "incentives" for trade-in...

Good luck all!

Rich

#107 ·
Which bulletin? The service number is on the first page (B001314) and the sales number is on the second page somewhere. Remember, it technically isn't a recall, so it may not show up in any searches for recalls.

#109 ·
Funny (but not really)

Thanks to all you poster for the heads up!

I rang up my local dealer and they replied "Yes, there is a recall on your car...you should bring it in". So I'm in at the dealer and tried to get a little more insight on the how and why of the Bulletin. The SA said he didn't know anymore than what was in the Bulletin highlights and said he and the shop foreman just got briefed by the regional BMW rep this morning that this was a huge campaign coming down and it'll be a massive effort (because of all the cars affected). I was the first one in at my dealership for this Bulletin so I wondered if they're ready for it, parts wise should my N63 need it. My SA said "no problem, the suspect items being tested, except for the timing chain, are readily stocked here (injectors, MAF, battery, etc) since they're a normal replacements items on the N63. We do them all the time". I said "Oh, the high mileage ones?" He replied "no, newer cars as well as the old ones".

My confidence in "German engineering" at least with turbo V8s, just dropped a few notches. Am I the only one?

#111 ·
Had an appointment this AM for a side view camera issue on my CPO '11 550i. Saw this post and pointed out B001314 as well. They called a few moments ago to say that B001314 is relevant and also there is a brand new recall on the timing chain...they inspect it and if out of spec may need replacement. Sounds consistent with the prior comments above. Mine is just over 4 years old with 23K.

#113 ·
I made an appointment for a low battery last week and dropped my car off today. My oil also needs to be changed, so they'll to the maintenance on the car as well.

I asked about the N63 care package and they said that they just got the info on it and while my car was in, it may be looked at. If they can't, they'll reschedule an appointment for that. I'm not upset by this simply because my car runs fine. If I have to bring it back in a couple weeks, that's fine by me.

But if they plan on keeping it for a while to do the "recall", I need to get a different loaner. They gave me an X1, its all they had. I used to think the most pathetic car in BMW's lineup was the 320i. I was wrong. This car is awful. I just don't get it, why did BMW build this thing? My friend just got his wife a Honda CR-V, that car is much nicer than this thing. I'm happy with a 328 or X3, is that too much to ask?

#115 ·
JC BMW scheduled my wife in for tomorrow to take care of 3 open campaigns. I then emailed them on Monday asking about the N63 package and I have yet to hear from them. I think I'll have to go there and ask in person. My thought is the info hasn't flowed down to them yet.

#116 ·
I'll just follow up with what I've learned...my CA still hasn't seen a memo or bulletin, and there's still a better than 50/50 chance a customer relations rep will be hearing about this for the first time. Jon said in the "Ask a Dealer" forum to give it some time and that there may be some more stuff coming down from corporate.

#117 ·
Just got a from the dealership regarding the N63 campaign. I went in for the battery and oil change, which they will be doing, along with other items from the campaign. He said that they will be replacing the engine vacuum pump and low pressure sensor for sure and are waiting to hear back about the other items.

I wasn't offered a nicer car for a loaner, but did complain about the homeless spec X1 they gave me, so I'm taking it back for something better (seriously, the flat seats in this thing are making my back hurt and I drive 50-60 miles a day minimum).

Looks like BMW is taking care of matters for something thats voluntary quite well. I hope they don't keep my car long, I miss it already, lol.

#118 ·
Just got a from the dealership regarding the N63 campaign. I went in for the battery and oil change, which they will be doing, along with other items from the campaign. He said that they will be replacing the engine vacuum pump and low pressure sensor for sure and are waiting to hear back about the other items.

I wasn't offered a nicer car for a loaner, but did complain about the homeless spec X1 they gave me, so I'm taking it back for something better (seriously, the flat seats in this thing are making my back hurt and I drive 50-60 miles a day minimum).

Looks like BMW is taking care of matters for something thats voluntary quite well. I hope they don't keep my car long, I miss it already, lol.
They need to be taking this well, otherwise (and it still may happen) a potential class action lawsuit would be coming their way. I've seen rumblings elsewhere of owners trying to band together, but they were mostly unsuccessful from what I saw. Knowing the difficulties of a class action, I just don't think it would pick up a lot of steam. Even though there is more than enough evidence of wrong doing.

#121 ·
I actually emailed my SA as well. He looked up my VIN and told me the campaign is active for my vehicle and recommended I dropped it off for inspection. Ask your SA to run your VIN through the DCS and it will show if the campaign is active for your vehicle. This particular SA is pretty good, wish his techs would get on his level, but that's neither here nor there.

Long story short your SA should be able to tell you what the deal is via email or over the phone.

#123 · (Edited)
So the consensus is that this doesn't apply to the N63TU? I had the problem on my 2011 with the N63, but the work they did fixed it for the remaining time I had it.

#125 ·
N63 Engine Recall

Taking my 2010 750LI in tomorrow 01/08/2015. Crown BMW Greensboro. Getting a 2013 750 loaner car. This is a CPO car purchased 06/02/14. Been in the shop a total of 57 days since purchased. Everything replaced from coils, injectors, turbos, starter, left bank head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.