BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

N63 pre & post-CCP service database

110K views 121 replies 50 participants last post by  Donm 
#1 ·
Hello All N63 Owners!

As a member of the F07 group (I'll call us a subset of the N63) I just read through this thread on Friday (CORRECTION: SATURDAY). Up until this weekend my personal experience have been minimal issues, but issues nonetheless (no CEL/DTM; intermittent rough idle (called normal by SA) and a previously undocumented symptom injector related issue(which required service)).

Let me preface this with, we absolutely love this vehicle and purchased it intending to keep it long term and have had the best service experience with our dealer. Unfortunately this will be the second service to injectors (please note currently this is conjecture as our vehicle has not been diagnosed yet) due to, what I am calling, a violent misfire this Saturday that shook the entire vehicle. I am hopeful this CCP is the long term resolution we (all N63 owners) are expecting but life is too short (and continuously replacing injectors is too expensive) to be dealing with this over the lifetime of a vehicle.

With this said I appreciated what Dallas550 suggested in the F10 N63 CCP thread regarding an owner database. I personally hope what BMW is currently doing will resolve the issues (but as my wife states: hope is not a strategy). Therefore, using Dallas550's excellent suggestion, I have started a document with our vehicle's specific service data and welcome others to provide me their information.

I am providing a link to the document and have it currently set to view only, but welcome feedback regarding proposed formatting/information that I may have missed: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

My goal is to document only data (not your personal feelings about the situation): parts replaced (part #), when (date & mileage), identified symptoms that caused the repair as per service invoice.

To me it is important that we as a group of consumers need cohesive, convincing data to resolve our engine problems, particularly if the N63CCP proves not to be the fix to return our vehicles to operate as we have experienced with our previous generations of BMW. Of particular concern to me is the fact that numerous owners are returning for service due to the same symptoms often and early (for example we are returning 6 months and less than 3000mi after first service on a 2010 with just shy of 30k miles) and that the same will occur post-N63CCP service.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Hello,
I just had this CCP or A.K.A. (Recall) done on my 2012 750Li Xdrive and yes the idle was horrible but also I had to return a day later because one of the fuel injector lines were not tighten to spec and therefore had a very strong fuel odor. Then just on 03/04/2012, wife drove in and car was acting if it was going to shut off but would not. So, I took it back to the dealer and they diagnosed a fouled spark plug on the #8 cylinder... Hmmmm, I wonder what caused that? well never got a straight answer but my service tech had the car running so smoothly that I could not tell if it was off or idle. I recommend every N63 owners take there car in for this CCP it is worth it especially if it's free! :thumbup:

#5 ·
CCP for 2011 BMW 550i

My first post and what was news to me has obviously been a pretty common thread on this sight.
About 30K mileage, and after starting it recently,the car would not drive correctly, the Drivetrain Malfunction error light went on. Then shortly after, it happened a second time. Took it to the dealer.
My SA said they would take care of it, at no charge, but he did not bring up nor explain CCP.
The dealer replaced the 8 Injectors, vent pipes and connecting lines. No charge to me, but showing what would have been $1639.06 in cost.
Love the car, but I wish I had the straight scoop from BMW, and worry it could happened again.

#6 ·
What dealer did you go to in CHicago?

I was wondering if there is someone who can suggest any good BMW dealership to address this issue. I am concerned that my $88,500.00 car will not be fixed well by the boys working at those dealerships. I just had a bad experience of who is repairing the car, the engine is assembled in Germany, and here we go some guys are breaking it apart and putting it back together, I am just not feeling any comfort.
If you live in Chicago and have gone thru this service, please share.
Thank you.

#10 ·
Chicago Dealer

I was wondering if there is someone who can suggest any good BMW dealership to address this issue. I am concerned that my $88,500.00 car will not be fixed well by the boys working at those dealerships. I just had a bad experience of who is repairing the car, the engine is assembled in Germany, and here we go some guys are breaking it apart and putting it back together, I am just not feeling any comfort.
If you live in Chicago and have gone thru this service, please share.
Thank you.
edikam - I went to Perillo. I believe they are as good as any dealer, but again the CCP should be no charge, so I would go to the nearest dealer unless you had a bad experience there.

#7 ·
@ Edikam,
Ccp 's are free at your local BMW dealer, please go to the certified "peeps" that know our Ultimate Driving Machines.... these outhouse mechanics can never make your car drive right again and the do not have the right equipment to make the car drive like it should. I'm a witness, I've seen it personally myself. BMW certified techs only.....

#8 ·
@ Edikam,
Ccp 's are free at your local BMW dealer, please go to the certified "peeps" that know our Ultimate Driving Machines.... these outhouse mechanics can never make your car drive right again and they do not have the right equipment to make the car drive like it should. I'm a witness, I've seen it personally myself. BMW certified techs only.....:bigpimp:

#9 ·
Obviously for the CCP, the dealership is a must. Going to the dealership may not resolve your problems as some have posted, but at least then you can fight BMW from saying it is your fault. Once out of warranty I use only trusted BMW independent shops...most BMW indy's have plenty of certified techs working and you can find local ones by searching www.bimmershops.com.

#13 ·
Teehop, I wish you success in your situation however statements like yours do little good for us as a community. What are your circumstances? Symptoms experiencing before CCP, after CCP, were they gone after CCP and reppear, etc.? Frankly I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of participation as a database of information for owners would be of great use should us N63 owners find (as Teehop has) CCP is not the answer to our DTMs, rough idle, misfires, etc.

#15 ·
Sorry about the confusion
I purchased a 5501 2011 33,000 miles took car back to dealer and complain about the drivetrain malfunction coming up. They put a bandaid on it and it was ok until six month later it came back with vengeance car start shaking violently engine light remained on. Took it to dealer they changed all injectors and spark plugs told me i was good. Took car on highway and less than a mile car gave out had to pull over on highway cut car off than back on engine light remains on . Took car back to dealer the next day car was in dealer for a week. I recieved an umbrella and 2 coffee mugs. They replaced everything under the CCP vent pipe mass air flow vacuums pumps a list of many more things. I took car on highway and again had to pull over safely but car did not want to move and was shaking real bad at this time. Its like whenever it went in for service it came out worst then it was before going in. Had to get a lawyer i dropped like 30,000 in a year and ahalf of having the car. Trying to get a refund. So just beware bmw knows whats going on just trying to sick yoh with the car . The manufacturer doesn't want to take the blame for the well know lemon car they continue to make. We need to address this issue because it looks like bmw is buying these lemons back putting a bandaid on them then selling them as cpo. Make sure yoy get all service records from dealer. Because we are in a fight for our life. This company does not want to call a recall instead put a bandaid on the car. Hopefully i can get so far away from bmw it will take an m1 to catch me

#16 ·
And my bmw is still in shop and for going on a month with this issue . I continue to make payments however i dont have a car. I dont wanr loaner they gave me 528 i paid for a v8 purchase the car for 50,000
SA told me i might need a new engine. Once yoh put a certain amount of money in the car they want to stick you with it

#17 ·
Had to lawyer up. Stress was unbearable and unbelievable. Was taking with bmw of north American customers service Kristina she was just given me the run around. Would not tell me want kind of discount for a new car. Bmw wants to depreciate your lemon and say that you got use out the car. How can you get use out of a car that wad never working as it supose to. I guess they going charge you for driving a bmw no matter how it works. Good luck to us. We are gonna need it.
Engine are to powerful and burn out everything after a simple drive

#18 ·
Beware and be careful i had to pull over on the highway twice with this n63 Engine. Remember bmw dont know how to fix the car. So until they find out how to fix this problem so it want happen again WE WILL BE THE NEW N63 TEST DUMMIES. So drive with precautions. These engine are very powerful and you dont no what is under the hood. The manufacturer dont even knows whats under the hood. However they wont even test drive the car. They want you to test drive it. They are not putting there life on the line in a recall car. So AGAIN Please Be careful and think if its really worth it to sacrifice your life trying to get the N63 to work right.

#19 ·
Feel free to contact me with any question or concern. I dont want to scare anyone but i also dont wany nothing to happen to anyone. Hope i could help us out of this one. CUSTOMER CARE PACKAGE !! The recall that never was. I would not suggest anyone to buy a cpo 550i from 2010 to 2013. 2014 has a different engine.

#20 ·
I feel your pain. I have my car scheduled for this CCP next week but other then burning about 1 quart of oil every 2800 miles & a bit of lag from a standing start it runs fine. I have been reading stories from others that have done the CCP with no issues prior but new issues post so I'm thinking of holding off for a bit.

I am surprised you have not been labeled as a malcontent yet or maybe you have already.

#38 ·
Same thing for me.

#23 ·
I am not sure how to take this so called "recall". Is it a problem or is it not?

Yeah we have a few drivers who have experienced issues but if this thing was an epidemic, everyone would be experiencing issues and the whole BMW V8 community would be up in arms about it.

Thoughts?

#24 ·
I think we need more time to know. I've had the CCP done any my 550ix is stronger than ever. Never had an issue TBH.

I'm hoping the "fix" lasts because I love my Bimmer next one will be a Euro delivery but I'm a a ways from being ready.

I need my current car to continue to run strong and keep its value up for trade in time.

#41 ·
I think we need more time to know. I've had the CCP done any my 550ix is stronger than ever. Never had an issue TBH.

I'm hoping the "fix" lasts because I love my Bimmer next one will be a Euro delivery but I'm a a ways from being ready.

I need my current car to continue to run strong and keep its value up for trade in time.
I agree, my wifes 2011 550xi seemed to run stronger after it had the fix after experiencing injector failure with 2 semis in each lane and on my rear. almost got my family killed. More recently the coolant lines going to the turbos and from the radiator to the water pump failed along with the water pump. Dealer wanted $900 for the lines as my maintenance agreement didn't cover them. The car is nice when it isn't having issues or trying to get my family squashed by a semi, but I am sending it packing as soon as my 7/100 maint and extended warranty are up. This has been the biggest lemon I have ever owned. I have a 86 Buick Regal GN turbo 3.8 that is way more reliable (as well as quicker, and gets roughly the same milage, but it has way more rattles). BMW isn't going to get a repeat customer here. Gonna be an Escalade or more hopefully a SRT Jeep GC Hell Cat to match my daily driver 392 Chrysler 300, which would be my preferred mode of transport!:thumbup:

#25 ·
I had mine done a few weeks back. A precat oxygen sensor failed after so not sure if it got damaged during the CCP work.

Car runs a few mpg higher than before. I noticed that RPM is lower 30-50mph.

Then again, my car was running fine before. It did have injectors replaced last year due to intermittent hesitation while cruising at 70-80.

Maybe if your car was problematic to begin with, then chances of full recovery after CCP might not be 100%?

#26 · (Edited)
So spoke to my SA MY POST CCP DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION was caused FROM LOW BOOST WARNING.
i swear my car feels slower since the CCP.

I spoke to BMW CANADA they said we don't do buy backs or help any Canadians! They said "WE DONT HAVE A POLICY IN PLACE, SO WE WONT DO A THING TO HELP ANY CANADIAN CUSTOMERS.

They said speak to the dealer and dealer said speak to BMW CANADA.

#27 ·
My N63 X5 is now leaking oil and blowing smoke at start up along with initial take off. Going back on Monday.

#28 ·
Mine has failed four times with an engine malfunction/reduced power light. The car vibrates almost out of control and won't accelerate. The engine has been "fixed" four times, regional BMW mechanics have looked at it twice. They tell me it is fixed this time!!! The last time it failed I was pulling out into oncoming traffic. I will never risk it failing again. I will never drive my dream car again. It will sit at the dealership until I figure out what direction I will go now that BMW North America is only offering $3500 Owner Loyalty towards a new BMW after 6 MONTHS of dealing with this and loaner vehicles. I really expect more from a company with the history, integrity and branding of BMW. My lawyers are working up a counter. I will figure out also how to download the repair sheets on my car. The 3rd time it went in was at an out of town dealership. Had to rent a car (Dodge Minivan) to get home. The dealership then towed it back to me. Lasted a few days and failed again. I haven't driven it more than a week in 6 months. The sad thing is I have been complaining about "lerching" from the beginning. The techs, even BMW regional, couldn't find anything wrong and said it was "normal" and DID NOT document it in my history!
except one time. I do believe BMW is aware of this volcano gathering steam and about to explode. Unfortunately, I hope it doesn't take a fatal accident of a failed engine to finally get their attention.

#29 ·
First time posting...unfortunately no good news. I have a 2011 550i (Pre 9/10 build I believe) that's I purchased CPO in October 2014. Took to for a routine oil change/service to BMW of Catonsville (Baltimore, MD.) On 6/12/15 and was informed of a 'campaign' effecting my car. Dropped my car off on 6/16 and picked it up today, 6/18. Long story short, they supposedly replaced the Hot-Film Air Mass Sensors, Engine Vacuum Pump, Low Pressure Feed Line, Fresh Air Intake Turbo seals and crankcase ventilation lines. They also changed the oil and filter, even though I JUST paid to get it done the less than 7 days ago. Not even 30 minutes after picking it up with the notion that my car "should run better thanks it did before", the engine began shaking violently, the drive train malfunction warning light came on, and the car was in danger of cutting off in the middle of traffic. I pulled into the gym parking lot in and shut the car off immediately. I will be getting it towed back to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning. I don't feel safe driving it as it may cut off at any moment. If the problem persists, I may just cut my losses and get rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.