BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

aaarrggghhh!!!!!!!!

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  green95 
#1 ·
i replaced the fuel pump, new spark plugs, checked the maf sensor and cleaned out the intake manifold but the car will not start. any other ideas out there? help would be most appreciated.

#5 ·
it ran until one day when i was going to replace the brakes and it just wouldn't start so i replaced the spark plugs (which it needed anyway) and that didn't work so i cleaned out the intake which helped but it still didn't start so then today i tried pouring a bit of fuel in the intake and it started for maybe 2 seconds and then died so i replaced the fuel pump with one from another car i have and the pump looked newer and more heavy duty so i put that in and it still just won't start at all. ps. i also cleaned the fuel filter.

#6 · (Edited)
OK, If the car can start when you manually dump fuel in it then it is not the CPS and more than likely not a spark issue. it seems like a fuel delivery issue. Test the pump you just installed. and test the fuel line to ensure that fuel is passing through it (provided the fuel pump is working) See the Bentley manual for instructions on testing your fuel pump and how to troubleshoot a no-start issue.

See link below for Bentley service manual. Down load it and save a copy.

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/Bent...ice_Manual.pdf

#10 ·
I believe you have not read the sticky threads at the top of this forum. The E34's crank sensor, fuel pump relays and fuel pump are known sudden failure items for this car at this age, and must be replaced it in advance even if nothing was wrong or at least checked in sequence once something did go wrong. The thread also states somewhere that too many people do not replace or do not regularly service their fuel filter, and thus end up blocking the flow.

Quite clearly, it is either your crank sensor or your fuel pump relay. I suggest you just replace both anyway. You'll be able to bid farewell to no start issues more or less permanently heretofore, since you've already done the most expensive replacement (i.e. fuel pump).

#12 ·
First you need to determine why it wont start, it is less expensive and agravating if you do this BEFORE you start replacing parts. Engines are very simple, air, fuel, spark, missing just one means it wont run.

All of the answers are there if you slow down and take a look. The free bentley manual and the faq sections on the various sites should have been consulted first. Lucky for you, you had donor parts but, what a waste of time and energy so far. Good Luck

#15 ·
First you need to determine why it wont start, it is less expensive and agravating if you do this BEFORE you start replacing parts. Engines are very simple, air, fuel, spark, compression, missing just one means it wont run.

All of the answers are there if you slow down and take a look. The free bentley manual and the faq sections on the various sites should have been consulted first. Lucky for you, you had donor parts but, what a waste of time and energy so far. Good Luck
edited

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.