BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thigh support broken (2008 550i)

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  GOR777 
#1 ·
Thigh support stopped working since yesterday on front driver side. When I press the button I can still hear a motor is moving. Anyone knows reference manual to fix/install thigh support sport option? I'm not sure Bentley manual (or) TIS DVD manual system will be good for this. Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Mine stopped working on the passenger side recently. The motor is trying but no clicking sound. Dealer says no-go on a CPO fix.

#4 ·
@gcvt & @chisand, I'm trying to self service since I do not have CPO. Any suggestions on how to replace thigh support? Some say the whole motor system need not replace but only some sort of plastic gear that was cracked or broken. In the worst case I could probably replace the whole thing but why waste our precious natural resources when only a small piece of plastic can be glued or replaced?? And of course the crux is to know how to remove and assemble the parts and exact source of problem location.

#5 ·
I was pretty certain the issue in my case was just a plastic gear but on the off chance the dealer would cover I had them look and they took care of it. They said the entire motor (including gears) is replaced as one piece. I never took apart so I can't help and suspect you're on your own trying to take apart a "non-serviceable" unit....

#8 ·
I don't know how much it would have cost but I beleive they pulled the seats and replaced the motor unit. In my case it was both sides.

My dealer said if it was an electric issue it's not covered but a motor (or gear in motor unit) is mechanical and that is covered by CPO!

#9 ·
I actually just had mine replaced today! Mine was making a clicking/grinding noise, and with my warranty expiring in 2 days, I decided to bring it up. Fortunately it was covered because it's a $200-$300 part! Also getting my headrest replaced, since the headrest "flaps" no longer stay in position.

#14 ·
The motor on my driver's side was not working when I bought the car, however, I can just slide the support forward manually. The motor and support on the passenger side works just fine. Since I can slide it forward and backwards manually on the driver's side, I havent worried about it. I suspect that the previous owner left it out when he got out and when he got back in, forgot it was out and somehow broke it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.