BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 650i conv

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  EmM HoLLa 
#1 ·
Am I the only disappointed owner? Late Feb 2012 we purchased the second of 2 BMW's ever owned. We upgraded from a 2011 538 which we loved but wanted a change. We excitedly purchased the 2012 650i conv and as we were told the " flagship" car of the year. It's been all down hill. After owning it about three weeks the added feature was raining inside the car where the roof meets the frame a the corner of the windshield. Then needed a quart of oil which I was told is the norm for a new Beamer. First of all what new car should ever need a quart of oil after 1000 miles??! Of course I brought it in several times to be looked at for both issues for the next 8 months and 9 quarts of oil later. In October a decision was made to replace the engine and do whatever it takes to stop the "rain feature." After about 6 weeks I finally received my car back from the dealership which brings us to last month. After have it about 2 weeks I put another quart of oil in it. Keep in mind its Christmas time and I haven't driven it much. Last week the "drivetrain" light comes on and the car ran like crap immediately wanting to stall out. This week all if the fuel injectors and spark plugs are being replaced. These are the major problems I have had. I have also had the windshield wiper pump replaced and passenger airbag reset about 5 times. Am I the only one having this many major problems? Fortunately it's a lease however it hasn't even been 11 months I have a 3 year lease. Dealership has been great except for the trade in offer which would of increased my payment by $500 for the same exact car. Somehow I'm being punished. The really sad part is I love my car! Any pointers? Suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
+1 on the lemon. This certainly isn't the norm. We all have to put in a quart of oil every 3k to 6k miles, but 9 quarts is ridiculous. Sorry to gear about your troubles.

#4 ·
Tammyoro:

You clearly got a "lemon." I owned a 2012 650ic and did not have any of these problems. Under California Law, you could easily invoke the lemon law and get BMW to take the car back and give you back your money.

You should research the lemon law of the state in which you live. From there, I would call BMW NA and ask them for the address of BMW NA's CEO, and then write him a letter demanding your money back.

Good luck.

BMWsocal

#6 ·
Tammy, what you want form your dealer is a COLLATERAL EXCHANGE, exchanging your present car for exactly the same thing paying ONLY for the mileage accrued. Problem is that the 2012 isnt being manufactured anymore. In spite of the year difference, BMW should swap you out of the 12 and put you into the exact same 13 model.

#7 ·
650i disappointment

Thanks for the responses. I approached an attorney prior to the engine being replaced in October and his advice was not encouraging however with given recent events, value of the car and further researching the VA statue after encouragement from this blog I am pursuing action. Thanks again! I will keep everyone posted as I peruse BMW corporate. It's an fortunate because when I do have my car I love it. I've said many times I will never buy another BMW after this experience but there's no other car out there that compares in my opinion, sigh :(

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I approached an attorney prior to the engine being replaced in October and his advice was not encouraging however with given recent events, value of the car and further researching the VA statue after encouragement from this blog I am pursuing action. Thanks again! I will keep everyone posted as I peruse BMW corporate. It's an fortunate because when I do have my car I love it. I've said many times I will never buy another BMW after this experience but there's no other car out there that compares in my opinion, sigh :(
This is the problem. When the car is right, its RIGHT!!!! When it is acting up, ya just want to run it over a cliff(without you in it of course!).

#9 ·
I would be all over the exchange if possible! Yes they can do this.
Go to the top dogs and be real mad...
Bitch, bitch and bitch some more letting them you know you have a piece of crap and you want a exchange NOW! We aren't talking about a 30 or 40 thousand dollar car here.
Don't ask demand one!
Pay what little difference there is and love your new one!

Let us know what happens.

Do this real soon, like the first day or so of the week if you can.
Let us know what happens.

#13 ·
Update... There were several criteria's for the "lemon law" statue in VA that my car qualified for. This wasn't a surprise, but gave me validation for my argument with BMW if it needed to go that far. I started with the GM at the dealership and I didn't have to go any further. The GM was extremely helpful and apologetic. He said this happens .01% of the time and sometimes they just cant be fixed. My car is being replaced with a 2013 650i and I cant wait to enjoy this one. In the mean time I have the pleasure of driving a 2013 X6 which is nice, but clearly a different animal than the 650i.

#14 ·
Glad it seemed to work out with minimal legal ugliness. An X6 isn't too bad for a loaner :) While I'm intrigued by the new 328i, I think I'd have my fill in a couple hours. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.