BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What's Under the Tree of a 6er Owner

4K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  southern6er22 
#1 ·
It's been a while since we've had a somewhat random discussion thread, so I thought I'd start one.

What made the short list this year? As 6er owners, we tend to have expensive tastes when it comes to our toys. I'm interested in seeing what's hot this year. Most of us, I presume, can just buy what we want when we want it and don't have to wait for Santa, thus gift ideas are hard to find.

For me, the 2-day M Course (taking it in 01/2013) is a big part of my Christmas. Aside from that, it's probably going to be chocolate from Vosges and Godiva, a new pair of Ray Ban's, and whatever else my mom decides to surprise me with.

#2 ·
Sounds like a bragging thread, but since you asked.

iPhone 5; new MacBook Pro, Nest thermostat (if you're an Apple fan you'll love this thing), BMW winter wheel/tire set (more of a necessity), full chrome olympic curl bar, a pair of NB 624s and these really cool Kobalt screwdrivers that torque the same direction even when you twist the handle in the opposite direction.

#3 ·
Haha. Not a bragging thread - at least no more of one than a most of the threads discussing our 6ers :)

Which MacBook are you getting? I ask because I'm probably getting a new one in the next 6-8 months. I'm still using the one I got when I started college, so it's time for a new one. The current one is a little slow and can't hold a charge (and eats new batteries so they won't hold a charge). I'm tempted to go for the Retina display version given it's lighter weight and looks, but I'm still not convinced that justifies $800.

I'm going to have to check out that nest thermostat - never seen that before. Very cool concept.

#5 ·
You might want to look at the trunk mat that comes with a collapsible box. The box comes in very handy.

#7 ·
What do I want for Christmas....?

Health and happiness for mysefl, my family, and for all the members of this forum and their families. The fact that we are fortunate enough to drive a BMW 6 series, usually means that we have been able to achieve many of our life's material goals.:)

#11 · (Edited)
Watches

Ahh... Mr Southern, you are making all the right moves; in your 20's, with a 6er, now looking for a fine timepiece... It appears that the world is your oyster my friend.
Now on to the watch question: There are different levels of "fine" time pieces; at the very top of the food chain (over $10,000), you have the Patek Philippe's, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger Le Coultre, Blancpain etc . For entry level, now days, anything made of gold, starts at $7,000 and up. So, Stainless steel probably should be your target in the price range that you mentioned. My recomendation is to look at brands like: Maurice Lacroix, Girard perregaux, Zenith, Frederick Constant (swiss brand up and coming), Cuervo y Sobrino etc; they have nice watches that will not set you back too badly. There is also a huge pre-owned market of timepieces that could save you some coin, if you know what you are doing.
The bottom line is: watches are a lot like cars and women; One should go after the one that catches your eye, and makes you feel that you can't do without..
Hope this helps:thumbup:

#13 ·
For entry level, now days, anything made of gold, starts at $7,000 and up. So, Stainless steel probably should be your target in the price range that you mentioned. My recomendation is to look at brands like: Maurice Lacroix, Girard perregaux, Zenith, Frederick Constant (swiss brand up and coming), Cuervo y Sobrino etc; they have nice watches that will not set you back too badly.
Thanks for the info. I have no idea what I want at this point, but I figured I'd start soliciting some opinions :) Spending $7k+ on a watch is a bit rich for me right now - trying to be good :angel:. I guess I might just have to wait a little longer to be a real grown up :thumbup:

The bottom line is that watches are a lot like cars and women: One should go after the one that catches your eye and makes you feel that we can't do without.
Sounds like good advice to me. Reminds me of the wise words of my good friend, Mr. Intin, "If it files, floats, or f*cks, it's cheaper to rent than buy."

Okay, not really the same thing, but both are good life lessons :rofl:

Hopefully a radar detector! Just can't get the Autobahn driving out of my system. Hard to go slow stateside. :)

Don't really need anything. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
Thank God for the HUD. It is the only thing that keeps me honest. :D :rofl: Comfort/Comfort+ is my friend in the rain as it mellows out my throttle happiness.

#12 ·
Hopefully a radar detector! Just can't get the Autobahn driving out of my system. Hard to go slow stateside. :)

Don't really need anything. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

#18 ·
Someone must've been really good this year :D

The following isn't the most exciting gift in the world (especially compared to an X5 M :) ), but it's a pretty cool little gadget. Hopefully this will prevent me from being an idiot with my tire pressures in the future. It's a bit overkill for the job, but it beats the little pop out sticks. A 6er driver can't be bothered with troubles like eye strain or kneeling next to the tires. Jk, but really... ;)

Attachments

#26 ·
We are both completly happy with our configurations. But neither of us does any real photo work or video editing. Pretty much email, surfacing, iTunes and some spreadsheet work. I think you would be happer with the retina display if only so you don't suffer from the "shouldagotB&Osyndrome".

I personnly do not see value in the SSD. I hear you on the external drive, but why not spend less and get more on board storage. Modern HDs are pertty darn reliable. I don't think you'll notice much differnce in the processor speed, but max out the RAM for faster audio/video work.

#28 ·
I think you would be happer with the retina display if only so you don't suffer from the "shouldagotB&Osyndrome".
Hahaha. Yep. That exact example has been bouncing around in my mind a lot lately :D

I personnly do not see value in the SSD. I hear you on the external drive, but why not spend less and get more on board storage. Modern HDs are pertty darn reliable. I don't think you'll notice much differnce in the processor speed, but max out the RAM for faster audio/video work.
I think I'm curious about the SSD more than anything. It does come standard with the Retina model, so I'm kinda stuck with that lol.

I'm debating about the 8 GB of RAM v. 16 GB. It might be overkill, but the whole thing is a bit overkill. Where do I draw the line with the nerd bling? lol

#30 ·
Went ahead and bought it today. Pro with Retina, 256 GB Flash, 2.3 GHz i7, 8 GB of RAM. Thanks for the comments.

#33 ·
Very late to this thread (or the board at all, frankly), but I picked up a Nest thermostat over the summer. A silly thing, I guess, but we LOVE it. Highly recommended.

Regarding watches, I'm a reformed Cartier fan and a Panerai guy as of late, but they're all over the $3K mark. Maybe a Bell & Ross would be fun...

#34 ·
Aren't the "silly things" often some of the coolest? :D

As for the watches, I think I'll be playing tee ball for a while whilst admiring those of you who've gone pro. :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.