BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Leather Maintenance and Care

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  amanra 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

This DIY thread is great but I couldn't find anything on leather maintenance . It would be appreciated if a few folks could share in there techniques for cleaning and conditioning to help us all keep the interiors of our amazing cars looking pristine.

Regards

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Leatherique is a product that I trust as well. After going through the whole regiment (twice), my interior leather was definitely brought back from the dead. I've included a before and after pic with just the use of the conditioning products. No dyes used. It was a lot of work, but sooooo worth it.

#5 ·
Roku - the job you did looks great. Have you looked at their leather dyes as well? You could restore your car's leather to it's original beauty. I considered some dye work on my 645 (until I decided to trade her for my current girl). Here's a 740 that did it - http://leatherique.com/bmw-redye-project.html

#6 ·
Leatherique is a great product for restoring trashed leather, but I think it's overkill for maintenance.

For day-to-day maintenance it's hard to beat Lexol. Regular cleaning and treatment will keep your seats soft almost forever. Don't let Lexol affordability mislead you - the best isn't always the most expensive.

#7 ·
I have used both the Leatherique and the Lexol products.

On my 97 M3 with Dove interior, the leatherique worked great. The interior had been largely neglected by the PO many areas were very stiff. On the M3, the leatherique worked exceptionally well. I followed Leatherique instructions, i.e. massage the rejuvenating oil in by hand, roll up the windows and let the greenhouse do it's thing. Follow up with pristine clean. After a couple of "full day" treatments, the leather was restored to a like new pliability. I also used the Leatherique dye for a more intensive reconditioning as the pigment was rubbed off in a couple of areas. Again, great results.

On my wifes 740 black leather and my daughters 525 sand leather, however, the Lexol seems to be doing a better job. The leather appears to be heavier and has more surface texture on these cars than the M3, and the Lexol seems to be penetrating and softening better. The Lexol also seems to do a better job on the lower quality leather in my C5 roadster.

So from my experience, I feel both are great products and I have acheived different results on different leather. I have not taken the time to to research the different leathers in my BMW's, but I believe the M3 had nappa.

I have not tried any of the other products that are promoted such as Griotts (sp?) etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.