Winter or All Season - What should I do? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Rudy@Tirerack.com

Old 11-16-2017, 06:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 Acura MDX
Winter or All Season - What should I do?

So, picking up an M550i in a few days, and this is the first car I will own that comes with Summer Tires. I live in central North Carolina, so somewhat of a temperate climate.

The downside, from everything that I've been reading, I probably shouldn't keep Summer Tires on the car during the winter. Morning lows for winter are typically around 30F, but can be in the 20s with the occasional teens. Daytime highs are typically 40F-50F, and occasionally in the 30s. We get snow/ice maybe once a year - twice if it's a really bad year. And if there is any real measurable snowfall or ice accumulation, most businesses will shut down, so there's likely no reason to go out anyway. Not to mention, some days of "shorts weather" in there, too.

So, looking for opinions. I'm planning to run Summer Tires for March'ish through November. But, for late November-March, should I go with Winter Tires, or just stick with All Season?

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
Facing a similar decision, I went with all-season on my 2017 M3. But I was determined to avoid two sets of wheels & tires and changeover, yet wanted to drive the car all year. I acknowledge that I have given up a bit of dry traction by ditching the summer tires, but picked the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ which I think is almost as good as a summer tire in the dry while giving me some winter capability as well.

In general, as soon as you embrace the two set concept, summer for summer and winter for winter makes the most sense to me -- no compromises. But of course are actually compromised as you have the in-between times in late winter or late fall. And then there's the self-torture of when to swap...

But given the parameters you've laid out, it sounds like maybe all-seasons would serve you adequately for your second set.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
'17 M3
Old 11-17-2017, 05:14 AM

Thanks, Larry:

That's where I'm leaning, too. I think what I'm planning right now is to get a set of All Season tires in the next few weeks and just use my current wheels for now. The plus side of going All Seasons vs. Winter is I do get a bit more latitude on when to switch back to Summers. The downside is that Winters would be better if I get caught in a freak snow storm or need to drive north.

If I do notice a decent difference between Summer and A/S, I'll probably look at buying a new set of wheels, a jack, and a torque wrench next year. That way I can swap the wheels myself instead of renting a U-Haul just to lug the spare set back and forth from a shop to swap them for me.

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
There are a lot of threads on the forum discussing this issue. It's always a tradeoff. It boils down to your preferences and how much performance you're willing to give up in the "off-season". Over my last 16 years of BMW ownership, I always ran UHP tires in the summer, and Blizzaks in the winter. Recently, I decided to switch over to all-seasons for the summer months because I was 1) tired of having to replace the rubber every other year and 2) the all-seasons offer a more comfortable ride.

And yes, I do recommend springing for a 2nd set of wheels. There are lots of bargains on Craigslist for OEM rims and that way, you get to sport something different for a few months.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 340i MPPSK
I don't think all seasons make sense in any scenario that require 2 sets of tires. Winter tires is not only for snow, but is way superior than all seasons for anywhere around 7 degrees celsius (45F) or lower. The car with winter tires will just flat out handle and, more importantly, stop shorter when you apply the brakes when it is cold. There are people who can't be bother with 2 sets, and run all seasons year round, but if you need 2 sets of tires, trust me, summers and winters give you the best of both worlds, without any compromise.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
I don't think all seasons make sense in any scenario that require 2 sets of tires. Winter tires is not only for snow, but is way superior than all seasons for anywhere around 7 degrees celsius (45F) or lower. The car with winter tires will just flat out handle and, more importantly, stop shorter when you apply the brakes when it is cold. There are people who can't be bother with 2 sets, and run all seasons year round, but if you need 2 sets of tires, trust me, summers and winters give you the best of both worlds, without any compromise.
Your comment pretty much solidifies me with All Seasons, then. In the winter, our normal high is 45-50F. Some days can see colder, some days we get in the 60s. Beginning and end of winter is even more of a roller coaster - can be in the 60s at the start of the week and 40s by the end (or the other way around). I don't want to have to get into changing the tires out every other day based on the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that winter tires do better in colder weather. And if our normal high was mid-30s or lower, this wouldn't even be a question for me.

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Old 11-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
All seasons are fine for a North Carolina Climate. They will work well in cold weather and LIGHT snow.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:26 AM

Thank you, Rudy!

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
Your position as stated here is the textbook answer and I generally agree with it. For your location, it is 100% the answer for year-round driving. But the OP is in an area that sees very mild winters.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
'17 M3
Old 11-26-2017, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
All seasons are fine for a North Carolina Climate. They will work well in cold weather and LIGHT snow.
Sorry Rudy, I find this comment to be an inaccurate blanket statement. All-season could be fine with qualifiers would be more informative rather than the winter blanket statement. NC does have snowy, colder mountain areas (well big hill areas), would you suggest that all season are fine in that NC Climate? NC also does get those freakish snow and ice storms. I see you slightly qualified snow with LIGHT, whatever that means. A dusting, 2", heavy wet snow, compact snow? Please qualify "work well"? Which all-seasons qualify as "work well" in cold weather and LIGHT snow, since we all know that not all all-seasons are created equal. What about LIGHT ice and freezing rain in NC Climate? Daytime temps might avg 45-50, but night time temps can and do drop below freezing in NC climate, so would they work well then? Granted, many situations in wintertime in NC all-season should be fine....at least based on living there for several years.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
Sorry Rudy, I find this comment to be an inaccurate blanket statement. All-season could be fine with qualifiers would be more informative rather than the winter blanket statement. NC does have snowy, colder mountain areas (well big hill areas), would you suggest that all season are fine in that NC Climate? NC also does get those freakish snow and ice storms. I see you slightly qualified snow with LIGHT, whatever that means. A dusting, 2", heavy wet snow, compact snow? Please qualify "work well"? Which all-seasons qualify as "work well" in cold weather and LIGHT snow, since we all know that not all all-seasons are created equal. What about LIGHT ice and freezing rain in NC Climate? Daytime temps might avg 45-50, but night time temps can and do drop below freezing in NC climate, so would they work well then? Granted, many situations in wintertime in NC all-season should be fine....at least based on living there for several years.
So, it sounds like you're saying it's best to have three sets of tires for a moderate climate. Summer for spring through fall, all seasons for normal winter driving, and a set of winters for the odd snow storm or rare occasion that one has to drive in the middle of the night. I don't know, but that seems like a bit of overkill. After all, if I have to do something in the middle of the night, odds are I'm not going to spend the time to swap out my wheels for that one trip. Not to mention, changing between all seasons and winters every few days - or even time of day - based on weather...

I'm not refuting the benefits of winter tires in decent snow, but that just doesn't happen too often, even in the mountains.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Bimmerfest mobile app

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Old 11-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 340i MPPSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyWaters View Post
So, it sounds like you're saying it's best to have three sets of tires for a moderate climate. Summer for spring through fall, all seasons for normal winter driving, and a set of winters for the odd snow storm or rare occasion that one has to drive in the middle of the night. I don't know, but that seems like a bit of overkill. After all, if I have to do something in the middle of the night, odds are I'm not going to spend the time to swap out my wheels for that one trip. Not to mention, changing between all seasons and winters every few days - or even time of day - based on weather...

I'm not refuting the benefits of winter tires in decent snow, but that just doesn't happen too often, even in the mountains.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Bimmerfest mobile app
You need 2 sets, not 3. Summer and winter tires is what you need. Even if most of the time, the temp is around 50ish degree, the winter tires will be fine. Slap on your winter tires around November and keep them on until Feb/march. Winter tires will not perform any worse than all seasons when the temp is moderate, but they are way superior when it gets a little colder, regardless of whether there is snow or not. As i said previously, all seasons should really be called no season, because they excel at nothing. If someone want to go cheap, or can't be bother with changing tires, then I can see the compromise with all seasons as a year round alternative, but all seasons does not make sense in situations that warrant 2 sets of tires.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 750i
Don't forget about the distinction between studless snow and performance winter tires.

It sounds like the OP's area has similar climate as the PNW, so my opinion would be performance winter tires for the second set. If you are going to be changing wheels for the winter, it doesn't make sense to buy all-seasons (winter performance suffers significantly once they start to wear). Studless snow is overkill for 1-2 snow days and will be a compromise for dry/wet handling. Performance winter tires don't have the snow and ice performance of studless snow, but handling on dry pavement or in the rain is like summer tires in the summer. I have a set of Pirelli Sottozeros and they were fine on a couple inches of snow going uphill back into my community.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
The OP lives in Raleigh, not Boone or Blowing Rock.

All seasons will be fine.

Man, what a bunch of pansies we've become. I grew up driving on crappy all seasons with RWD vehicles through Michigan winters. We're spoiled now with our ABS and traction control.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search