Recommended Auto trans fluid - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
Recommended Auto trans fluid

I know this question has been answered on her before, but my memory gets worse with age..

Best or recommended automatic transmission fluid??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: e39
ZF Lifeguard 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2017, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders.nicklas View Post
ZF Lifeguard 6

+1. Only stuff I would put in that transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I run the Pentosin ATF1 fluid. It is sold in almost all of the local auto parts stores, & meets the proper spec. I have been running this for several years in 2 cars with zero problems. The reason I run this is because if needed in a hurry, I can find it almost anywhere in the US.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 AM

TY for the responses...

Rock Auto has some great deals on Pentosin.. Less than 1/2 the price of ZF..
Old 10-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Advance autoparts usually will have 20% off coupons for online orders, that can be picked up at the local stores. Amazon has it for around 55.00 at times. Make sure it is ATF1 fluid.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: e39
What transmission you have?

GM - use Pentosin ATF1
ZF - use ZF Lifeguard 5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 10-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11b3v View Post
What transmission you have?

GM - use Pentosin ATF1
ZF - use ZF Lifeguard 5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Bimmerfest mobile app
Above is incorrect for the E63/4, but does apply to other models. In the US market, the E63/4 with automatic trans only used the 6 speed ZF unit (ZF 6HP26) and the fluid recommended by ZF is the ZF Lifeguard 6. ZF also recommends fluid changes every 80-120km (50-75k miles) depending on use, whereas BMW said the fluid was lifetime.

Pentosin does make a fluid that is advertised as being compatible. I went with ZF on my X5 that has this transmission because it is one of the most expensive mechanical components, it's a very stout and generally not troublesome unit if maintained properly, the fluid change only gets a portion of the fluid, so why chance it over a few bucks?

Attaching the transmission service document from ZF in case anyone finds it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZF_SI_Oelwechselkit_50145_EN.pdf (2.58 MB, 84 views)

Last edited by FredoinSF; 10-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:22 PM

I talked directly with a Pentosin Lube Engineer and the ATF1 is compatible, & meets the shell spec. They assured me if the fluid caused a failure, they would cover the repair. We all know how that story will go! If the fluid is changed on a 25k schedule, the Dextron6 would meet the spec without a problem. This is what Ford is using in their transmissions, & they are the same ZF with a different tail housing.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Don't get me wrong, not saying pentosin is bad stuff... Just why I spent the extra $$ on the ZF juice for the X5. It's also my first 2 pedal BMW and I'd like to get another 100-120k miles out of it so playing it extra safe.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 3.0i
I used ZF LifeGuard6 as per FredoinSF's recommendation. purchased 10 liters from FCPeuro.

You can pick Pentosin if it meets the specs, But I would not take a risk and mix two different types of fluid (original fluid is ZF, and you are draining, means some original fluid remains in the tranny and gets mixed with the new fluid).

HTH
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM

Here is my 2 cents worth on this topic. BMW does not ever recommend changing our transmission fluid in our cars, ZF the manufacturer does. This leaves them a future revenue trail for them to make big money once the transmission fails. BMW recommends 15k oil mile changes which we all know is BS! BMW protects their parts by not allowing many of them to be sold aftermarket.

If we do everything BMW says to do to our cars, we would all be poor & broke people.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Here is my 2 cents worth on this topic. BMW does not ever recommend changing our transmission fluid in our cars, ZF the manufacturer does. This leaves them a future revenue trail for them to make big money once the transmission fails. BMW recommends 15k oil mile changes which we all know is BS! BMW protects their parts by not allowing many of them to be sold aftermarket.

If we do everything BMW says to do to our cars, we would all be poor & broke people.
+1

Pentosin ATF1 is readily available compared to ZF Lifeguard 6 or Shell M1375.4 ATF.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Does anyone use new bolts on the transmission pan? If so why?? I know when I installed a new pan on my 67 Dodge the new bolt threads had sealant on them..

08 650 vert automatic.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0453.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	726969  

Last edited by Rick D; 12-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
Does anyone use new bolts on the transmission pan? If so why?? I know when I installed a new pan on my 67 Dodge the new bolt threads had sealant on them..

You don't have to but while you're at it it's a good idea changing them!

Last edited by TPBWorks; 12-06-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Some of the earlier 6 series had smaller pan bolts, so it is a good idea to change them. With the bolts only having 10 nm torque, they are not going to really stretch. I have not replaced mine for this reason, & I have not had any problems with leaks. If your car has over 75k miles on it, change the fluid only so that you will not break to many contaminates lose in the tranny. The new 6 qts will mix with the old fluid, without causing any problems. Run the car 10 to 10k more miles & drop the pan & change both the Mechatronic Adapter seal, & the Mechatronic sealing sleeve . The pan has the filter built into it, & can be found from ZF for around 106.00. The other 2 parts are around 20.00 for both. The valve body will need to be drop to access the adapter, but it is a fairly easy job. Adding the fluid back is the one thing you only want to do once, since a big mess can be made if you do not follow the directions. I just changed my adapter seal this past weekend, & it was hard & deformed allowing some fluid to bypass the valve body. I was starting to get a slight lurch when taking off when the car was not up to temp. The seal had 91k miles on it, & all is now fine.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post

Transmission Pan Bolts are made of aluminium. Their torque specs changes every time they are tightened. therefor, when they are properly torqued to specs again, they might fall off, pan can leak, transmission can break, and you can be looking at several thousands, instead of 30 bucks.
That is the WORST case scenario.

I purchased new bolts for transmission pan, when I changed it. Due to its critical location and function.

But i re-used the bolts on my valve cover when I changed the valve cover gasket. (not as critical as tranny pan, easier to detect the leak if it ever happens, and easier to get new bolts and replace them if needed.

Good Luck
Old 12-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
Transmission Pan Bolts are made of aluminium. Their torque specs changes every time they are tightened. therefor, when they are properly torqued to specs again, they might fall off, pan can leak, transmission can break, and you can be looking at several thousands, instead of 30 bucks.

I purchased new bolts for transmission pan, when I changed it. Due to its critical location and function.

But i re-used the bolts on my valve cover when I changed the valve cover gasket. (not as critical as tranny pan, easier to detect the leak if it ever happens, and easier to get new bolts and replace them if needed.

Good Luck
The valve cover bolts come with any valve cover gasket I have seen, your should have come with new bolts?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
The valve cover bolts come with any valve cover gasket I have seen, your should have come with new bolts?
I did not buy a"kit". I purchased the parts individually, and decided to not buy the VC bolts.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post

Good Luck
TY.. Car has 46K on it.. I have printed the instructions ( transmission fluid change) and reread them, read a lot about this project on online here and am mentally preparing for it.. LOL...

Will change oil/filter, steering fluid reservoir, and do the transmission while its up in the air, at this round of servicing and taking care of the car... Its not my everyday driver so I can take my time and not get into a hurry....

Another question.... Can the new fluid be poured in with a funnel, ( is there enough room to tip a funnel up high enough) or do I need to get a pump of some sort????

As always, thanks for all the help and experience here....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0097 (1).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	727345  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:03 PM

You will need some kind of pump. I use a Hudson Bleach sprayer from Lowe's, & it cost less than 20.00. It come with a 2' piece of 1/4" pipe that will bend over the top of the exhaust. Pump up the sprayer with the sprayer tip off of the end, where you can get the best flow. Make sure to measure your oil after it has drained out, just to see if you have been low on fluid. Some add this much back in, but it could have been low to start with. Wrap your exhaust with some kind of protective heat blanket to keep from burning yourself, there is not much space to work with. The higher you get the car the easier it is to get the fluid back in, along with getting the plug threaded as fast as possible. If you let the tranny get to hot, it will start spitting fluid all over you, & you will have a mess on your hands. At the price of this fluid, you want to minimize wasted oil. Try & get the car at least 20" up from the ground, & make sure to level the car while you are doing this. I use the bottom of the pan to place my level.

Since you are changing the PS fluid, make sure the seal around the pump on the drivers side is not leaking fluid. If it is leaking fluid, clean the bell rubber seal good & use some grey RTV on the inside of the seal before installing it back. This will not take long to do, but it will start leaking around 75k miles.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Recommended Auto trans fluid

This is what I used:

Drill powered pump. Very powerful, sipped is very controllable and can be used to pump in or pump out( can be used for flushing the cooling system).

Mount it on a piece of board:

Last edited by AlphaBetaX5; 12-07-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
I am an Amsoil fan myself. Doubt I would use it in the 6 tho.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 650i Coupe
Had my transmission fluid changed at a BMW shop with the OEM equivalent fluid. Made a huge difference in not just shifting but with the overall response of the car. Car is at 69k miles now this was done around 65k so its had time to go through the adaptation process.

Also like Herb said, it's good to have them do other work while they are there. They did my mechatronics sleeve (wasn't leaking I don't think but I had them do it anyway), gasket, filter, and new bolts (I think they got this as a kit?)

Last edited by derekwilkinson; 12-08-2017 at 11:05 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search