Help with Alternator please - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-26-2017, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Help with Alternator please

I can write book about my 2001 x5 for not starting for 2 months now. Anyways, I pulled the alternator finally (something I should have done the first attempt at trying to fix the car) but long story short, now its out and its 140 Amps 14v Valeo.

Is it okay if I use 120 amp instead? Reason being the price. Both used, I can get half the price for the 120 AMPs. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you so much and God bless this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw x5 e53 3.0D
Hi. Why don't you rebuiled it. I had my done for 140 much cheaper than buying a new one...
Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej6 View Post
Hi. Why don't you rebuiled it. I had my done for 140 much cheaper than buying a new one...
Thank you for your reply. Even though I purchased one already, that is interesting idea. How do I do that or where do I go for such a service like that for the feature issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 AM

Usualy who is car electrican can rebuild it. Or if you dont have two left hands you can do it if only the alternator isnt to complcated. Normally you need to change bearings and brushes. Thats cheap and easy. In my case i had to change the rotor to But cause i didnt know where can i get it fast i didnt do it my self.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
- Valeo 120A vs 140A, the only difference is the cold weather package. If you use 120A, then don't turn on all the car seat warmers etc. etc. all at once.
- The Bosch AL0703N is an alternative.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej6 View Post
Usualy who is car electrican can rebuild it. Or if you dont have two left hands you can do it if only the alternator isnt to complcated. Normally you need to change bearings and brushes. Thats cheap and easy. In my case i had to change the rotor to But cause i didnt know where can i get it fast i didnt do it my self.
This is US - we do things different here When I came to US long time ago, I was rebuilding whatever was possible because I had time and no money...
We don't have smart and cheap mechanics here. Professional labor cost here ~$100/hour so it is usually easier and not necessary more expensive to buy new or rebuilt one and pay for replacement than to ask shop to do rebuilding... And to do it yourself - sure it can be done but if you have not done that before you going to make every mistake possible, buy lots of tools and still not sure what is going to come out of that process..
And because BMWs are luxury cars so owners have tons of $$$ LOL

Last edited by Porando; 12-05-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
Pretty nearly averything retail affordable is commoditized and not designed to be repairable.

For my age, the best I example that I can think of are computer HDD. I can remember when they were fantabulously expensive huge, lightly integrated and had MTBF ~10^2 hours. Remember watching MTBF pass 5x10^4 hours and price below $200.

Yesterday I did annual maintenance and cleaning on my 30 year old water conditioner that is very similar to water polishing units in a nuclear power plant. A plumber would ask $100/hour and probably screw it up and deny liability. It is mine, I worked slowly and carefully - and uneventfully. I expect it to serve another 30 years.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Pretty nearly averything retail affordable is commoditized and not designed to be repairable.

For my age, the best I example that I can think of are computer HDD. I can remember when they were fantabulously expensive huge, lightly integrated and had MTBF ~10^2 hours. Remember watching MTBF pass 5x10^4 hours and price below $200.

Yesterday I did annual maintenance and cleaning on my 30 year old water conditioner that is very similar to water polishing units in a nuclear power plant. A plumber would ask $100/hour and probably screw it up and deny liability. It is mine, I worked slowly and carefully - and uneventfully. I expect it to serve another 30 years.
And your example with HDD MTBF? - I am an HDD engineer and can tell you that all this MTBF is nothing but marketing numbers and only reason they still use them is because old folks still believe in their meaning.. HDDs are actually not more reliable mechanically as they were 20 years ago - the key difference is that people replace them every 2-3 years (not every 5 years)
MTBF now is calculated with "use time" included so if you buy consumer grade they assume you use it maybe 5 days a week but for 4 hours /day and commercial grade is used 8 hours/day &5 days a week... Only serves are used 24/7 and HDD for such application cost 3x or more AND they have very sophisticated error correction methods (both HW and SW) that they can get away with any MTBF number you want.. HDD basically heals itself buy constantly checking, correcting and moving data around.

And in cars area - I agree , parts and modules are pretty much disposable because cars also are... I dont see many cars on the road which are older than 10 years?
And unless you can do/fix things w/o time pressure as a hobby, letting other do it if you have to pay for their time is more expensive than buying Made in china stuff
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
And your example with HDD MTBF? - I am an HDD engineer and can tell you that all this MTBF ...
LOL. What an amazing coincidence.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
This is US - we do things different here When I came to US long time ago, I was rebuilding whatever was possible because I had time and no money...
We don't have smart and cheap mechanics here. Professional labor cost here ~$100/hour so it is usually easier and not necessary more expensive to buy new or rebuilt one and pay for replacement than to ask shop to do rebuilding... And to do it yourself - sure it can be done but if you have not done that before you going to make every mistake possible, buy lots of tools and still not sure what is going to come out of that process..
And because BMWs are luxury cars so owners have tons of $$$ LOL
Sorry i didnt know that you guys are soooooo expencive.. now i understand why buy new parts... here is about 40-60$ and for the 60$/hour it must be big job like rebuilding engine.... but what about parts are they expencive too.. where do you buy them?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Since you are in Slovenia, try to buy from Germany or France.

Use these websites, you should be able to find the Bosch or Valeo alternators for about 200 Euros + shipping.

ebay.de
ebay.fr
amazon.de
amazon.fr

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search