BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Adding Satellite Radio later???

10K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  mole7374 
#1 ·
Quick question for everyone....my X3 just went into production today and I'm just wondering if Sirius/XM can be added on afterwards or is this a factory only option and I'm stuck with what I got. I pretty much gave up on Satellite radio after I put pandora on my iphone so I'm not overly concerned, but I'm just curious if 6 months or a year from now I decide I want it if this is something that the dealership can add on?

#3 ·
ahhhhh....yea very good idea...didn't even think of that...sweet!! Ok...so break it down for me.....I thought someone at the dealership told me that sat radio was factory add on....I may be mistaken but thought they said that. So what do they do....is there a chip or something that gets added, or just that the radio gets activated...is it a different radio? I'm guessing this is as simple as activating something that is already there in the car right?

#5 ·
got it...thanks! I'll probably pass b/c even though its relatively cheap I honestly haven't listened to Sirius in 6 months now that I have everything programmed in pandora...and I have BMW apps in the X3 so I doubt I'll ever need satellite again.....I actually think the quality of the signal is better through pandora than satellite anyway

#11 ·
Exactly.....so depending on where you live satellite may be more reliable...however I'm in northern NJ so I can drive all day and never loose reception. Satellite will actually cut out more often for me when driving around trees etc but cell reception is solid. I just love the fact that there are an infinite number of stations you can setup....way more options than XM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.